FanFiction: Our Sweet Sound

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah... Agree with ya Cait... Zoot and Lips would make a great duo... If only someone realized that and stopped Zoot from being such a jerk to Lips elsewhere. *COUGHAilie,DORMSCOUGH*

Good start... Liking this so far, more please.

Boppity

Reaction score
Muffin! :O -snatches- It makes me feel welcome haha.

But I'm happy you all are enjoying it ^^

Boppity

Reaction score
I'm bored...so, next chapter?

----
Dr. Teeth had long ago picked up Zoot’s stuff and it rested comfortably in the back of the bus. Now he was just driving around, wasting time. If Zoot and Janice weren’t together by the end of the night, he was going to give up on the two of them.

Speaking of giving up…Dr. Teeth quickly changed lanes and turned into an old recreation park. Sure enough, they were there, sitting at one of the picnic benches, looking as miserable as a pair of homeless puppies; She clad in purple, he in blue. He parked, ignoring the odd noise the van made when put into park, and got out to meet Wayne and Wanda.

“What are you two cats doing out here?” Dr. Teeth strolled over to his old friends. Wanda immediately looked up from her poor excuse from a meal and smiled slightly at the pianist. Wayne looked up as well, but only nodded. Dr. Teeth lightly patted Wanda on the back before sitting down next to her. “Nice night to be looking so down.”

“We tried two theaters and a nightclub today.” Wayne said.

“No one likes us.” Wanda continued softly.

“The infamous team of Wayne and Wanda has dissolved into…nothing.”

Wanda kept smiling, but her eyes were fixed on her hands. The pianist wrapped one of his long arms around her.

“Hey, you can’t get down just like that.” He comforted.

“We’ve got the worst luck in the world!” Wayne moaned. “Every time we go to sing, something weird happens! And Wanda can’t carry a note to-”

“Don’t you start with me, Wayne!” Wanda exclaimed. “I can sing just fine! Don’t you think so, Dr. Teeth?”

“I shouldn’t put myself into your dispute.” He said to avoid answering her question. “Don’t take no for an answer, kids. Rest up tonight and try another theater tomorrow.”

There was an uncomfortable silence. The duo picked at their food and stared in every direction except each other’s.

“He said I looked like an old peacock!” Wanda shouted suddenly.

“You said I could never become anything like Humphrey Bogart in a million years!” Wayne cried. “You know that Humphrey Bogart is my idol!”

“Well you told me I would never amount to anything!”

“You told me we should break up the team!”

“You told me you didn’t love me!” Wanda accused. Another insult did not come.

“Hey, hey, hey…”Dr Teeth flashed his golden smile onto the hurt faces. “Don’t take this out on each other. Listen, one of you come stay the night with me. Give you time to cool off.”

“Gladly.” Wanda snapped.

“Oh, yes, you go with him.” Wayne replied. “It’s his fault that we’re out of a job anyways! Ever since he closed the pub, we‘ve had all this bad luck!”

“I believe I’ve apologized several times.” Dr. Teeth said calmly.

“Don’t take this out on him, Wayne.” Wanda defended. “If he wanted to close his pub, who’re we to complain?”

“You always take his side!” Wayne exclaimed. Dr. Teeth got up and started to walk towards the van. “Where are you going?”

“I don’t like to bear witness to arguments between friends.” He said, pulling out his keys. “If one of you wants to come with me, come on.”

Wanda shot up and walked briskly to Dr. Teeth.

“Sure you wanna come with me?” Teeth asked quietly, opening the door. “He looks kinda down.”

“Lately, every time I’m with him, I just get so mad!” Wanda sat in the seat across from Dr. Teeth’s, arms crossed. She then looked up at him. “I was hoping you would show up tonight.”

“I always know when there’s a lovely lady in distress.” He smiled.

“I think he called your new place.” She said, looking down again. “I think he’s getting…”

“You wanna go back?” He offered.

“No.” She said decidedly. “Let’s just…go for a ride.” He stared at her for a minute before starting the engine.

“Then let’s go for a ride, baby.”

-----

Janice walked along the side of a dimly lit road that was somewhere in the general vicinity of the backside of the apartment complex. At least, that’s where she hoped it was. Saying the road was dimly lit was being a bit too generous. The area bordering the road was an ocean of knee-high grass, the occasional family of trees standing tall.

She had been out for about thirty minutes, but she still wore a smile. She couldn’t stop smiling if she tried. Any sort of searching for Dr. Teeth had been forgotten as soon as she and Zoot had left the apartment and went their separate ways; she was just walking and thinking. It seemed like she had been walking in the gravel for a while, so she decided to walk into the field of grass, the light growing less, but the smell of the pureness of the outdoors growing stronger. The crisp autumn air, the trees…possibly one of the best scents in the world. Everything just seemed so high and at peace. She walked though a large clump of trees, luckily not tripping over any roots. Bugs chirped softly and an owl asked the eternal question and…a bass guitar?

Janice looked harder through the window of trees and saw a light in her near future. There was a small building up ahead. As she walked towards it, she heard slow, mournful chords being played on a bass that was slightly out of tune.

She finally emerged from the miniature forest and was faced with an old, run down church. It looked like it hadn’t been used in a while. It struck her as sad, the music only accentuating the feeling.
A single light bulb shone from inside, where the music was coming from. Someone was singing, but she couldn’t really understand the words. She opened the door quietly and made her way to the apse. Sitting on a raised platform, hunched over a bass, was a man with long red hair and sideburns. Janice recognized him at once, she had seen his picture quite a few times. She played his electric guitar.

“Floyd?”

The music stopped and the man looked up. He stared at her for a second before blinking slowly.

“You’re not one of those people from the subway, are you?” He asked suspiciously. His voice was raspy, yet gentle.

“Um, no…” Janice remembered Dr. Teeth telling her a very brief overview of the incident that had drove him away. “Zoot…um, he’s told me about you.”

“Oh, hey!” Floyd leapt to his feet. “Then to you, I am Sgt. Floyd Pepper!”

“Like, who are you to other people?” She asked.

“Pink Heart.” He said quite seriously. “Actually, I went by Zoot’s place and Dr. Teeth’s pub…you know Dr. Teeth?” She nodded.

“We’re all rooming together in an apartment downtown.” She told him. “They, like, wanted me to be a part of the group ‘cause I play guitar…oh! Like, Zoot gave me your guitar, is that okay?”

“It’s cool, girl, I’ve got the bass now.” He patted his bass. “Good that someone’s taking care of it.”

Janice’s smile brightened and wondered if she should invite him back.

“So what are you so happy about?” Floyd asked. “I saw you walkin’ around outside like you just won the world.”

“Ooh…like,” Janice blushed a little. “Girl things, that’s all.”

“Tell me.” Floyd said, leaning on the back of one of the pews. “I’ve been out of touch with the world for a while.”

“Well…”She thought. He seemed nice enough to trust, and he was one of Zoot's friends. “There’s this guy-”

“There always is.”

“And he - we - like each other.”

“Bob’s your uncle.”

“And, like, I don't know, it's just a little weird and confusing ’cause no one’s ever told me they like me or anything-”

“I’m gonna stop you on that one.” Floyd interrupted again. “Never?”

“That lame?” She asked.

“That unreal.” He corrected. “Are you seriously telling’ me-” The bassist looked her up and down, “that no one’s ever told you they dig you like that?”

“Rully.”

“Huh. Okay.” Floyd straightened up. “Hey, you never told me your name.”

“Like, it’s Janice.” She told him.

“Okay, then. Janice,” He looked her in the eye. “I like you ‘n I’m not just saying it to say it. You’re pretty cute and you seem real cool. I’m not gonna ask you out or anything ‘cause I know chick don’t dig random guys asking them out, but if we had been friends for a while, you bet I would.” Janice was left a bit speechless, not sure if he was joking or not. Floyd let out a raspy laugh to lighten the mood. “But I’m too late!”

It took a moment, but Janice laughed as well.

“But seriously, this guy, he’s cool, right?” Floyd asked. “Been your friend, treat you right?”

“Fer sure!” She smiled softly.

“Then I approve!” He laughed again. “This guy have a name?”

“Actually, like, it’s Zoot.” Janice said, blushing. Floyd blinked slowly.

“Never should have left.” He shook his head. “Zoot’s got a girl and Teeth’s got a real pad…all I’ve got is Animal and my bass.”

“Like, I’m sure you have more than that.” Janice smiled reassuringly. “Even if it’s not material.”

Floyd couldn’t help but smile as well.

“Yeah, I guess.”

“So, like, who’s Animal?” She asked. Floyd looked behind him into the corner of the church where the light didn’t reach.

“Animal, you awake?” Floyd asked the dark corner. No response. “Oh well. Animal is Animal. I found him out in the streets chasing some woman!” He laughed as he remembered the incident. “He can really play the drums. And I figured since that pig had probably left town by now, we could come back and get the band together.”

“Ooh, like, you should come with me to the apartment!” She said happily. “I’m sure Dr. Teeth wouldn’t mind…”She paused. Dr. Teeth. Dr. Teeth wasn’t there which was the reason she left in the first place.

“What’s wrong?” Floyd asked.

“Like, Dr. Teeth flew away.” She said, using Zoot’s explanation. Floyd gave her a strange look. “He said he was gonna go somewhere, but he didn’t come back when he should have.”

“I’m sure he was just flirting with some girls or something.” Floyd thought. Janice had never actually seen Dr. Teeth with a girlfriend of any sort or heard him say anything about going out on a date. Her face must have shown her confusion. “Dr. Teeth’s got a way of keeping his girls hidden. I mean, don’t get me wrong, he’s one of the best people I’ve ever met, but…he’s broken up a few happy couples if you know what I mean.”

That did come as a surprise. Dr. Teeth? Stealing another guy’s girl? That didn’t sound like him at all. Floyd must have been mistaken. Or teasing her.

The bassist walked to the corner and bent down, telling this Animal to wake up. Whatever it was made a low growl, and the sound of chains followed. Floyd left the corner and unplugged his bass, putting it back into the worn out case.

“Ready to go, girlie!” He said, shoving the small amp into the wall with his foot. The creature called Animal finally emerged from the corner, eyes at half mast. At the moment he looked harmless enough, but his torn clothes, sharp teeth, and the chain around his neck gave Janice the idea that he was called Animal for a good reason.

“Hey Animal, this is Janice.” Floyd said. Animal turned his head towards Janice but was still too asleep to really see her. “C’mon, man.” The three exited the church and were soon greeted by a blast of chilly air.

“Like, I think it’s this way…” Janice stared to the right, wondering if a clue to the right direction would pop out at her. The other direction looked exactly the same as the first.

“Are you in the new apartments?” Floyd asked.

“Yeah, the Ezra apartments.” She said.

“M’kay, I know a shortcut.” He said, leading her a different way.

Five minutes into the walk, Animal fully woke up.

“WO-MAN! WO-MAN!” He shouted from behind her. Janice heard him running up to her, but Floyd already had a hold of his chain and was pulling him back.

“That happens.” Floyd explained with a laugh.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh like wow! This was rully well done. The itroductions of all the characters... And the relationships behind those characters... Loving this and I need more posted soon!

Wonder if in this story Wayne and Wanda are living off of the checks they get from Wanda's mother an Wayne's work as a manual laborer.
Nah... The backstory here sounds sooooo much better.

Again, more please!

Boppity

Reaction score
Thanks you guys! ^__^

Hey Count, is that Wayne and Wanda backstory canon or something on the boards?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually... It is cannon, from the Linda Lavin TMS episode, celebrating what was claimed as Kermit's birthday, from Season 4. You can search for it on Muppet Wiki or listen to MCR (Muppet Central Radio) for that segment from the episode, the song Wayne and Wanda start before Kermit fires them again is "Sweet Mystery Of Life".
Hope this helps.

Boppity

Reaction score
I've seen that episode but for some reason I don't remember that part :/ But now that I know, I need to find somewhere to put it in! :] Thanks!

Boppity

Reaction score
I'm going out of town tomorrow and won't be able to post for a while, so I'll try and put chapter five up really late tonight. But for now, chapter four!

Floyd’s shortcut was indeed shorter than the random path that Janice took. It took only ten minutes before the three found themselves in the city. The dilapidated church hidden by trees seemed so far away from the bright lights and pavement.

As soon as they entered the apartment complex, they were greeted with the heat that had been missing before. The whole place was sweltering.

The group’s rooms were on the second floor. Janice unlocked the door but didn’t turn the knob.

“Ooh, umm…” She turned to Floyd.

“You want a minute alone?” He guessed.

“Like, yeah.” She blushed a bit. The bassist stepped back and leaned against the wall while Animal roamed the hallway.

“Go for it, girl, but remember that it’s an oven out here.”

Janice entered, closing the door quietly behind her. Luckily the room was not as hot as the rest of the place. Before she could take two steps forward, Zoot came out from his room.

“Dr. Teeth’s not here?” She asked.

“No, but I saw the bus outside Juhl’s.” He said.

“Oh, like, I wonder why he took so long.” Janice mused. The two had been slowly walking towards each other and they were now so close they could hear the other’s breathing. “Um, so, you said you still had something to say…”

“When?” Zoot asked.

“Before we left.”

“We left?”

“Like, to look for Dr. Teeth.”

“Dr. Teeth’s gone?”

“You said you saw the van.”

“Yeah, outside Juhl’s!” Zoot told her. He thought for a minute. “Oh, that then. I forgot that, it didn‘t really make sense anyways.”

“Like, neither does half the stuff you say.” Janice said.

“Yeah.” He agreed. “But I think the end made sense.” And on that note, Zoot gave up talking before he had a chance to say something else weird and gently pressed his lips to hers. There were a thousand different thoughts running through their heads, but they all added up to a feeling of no thought at all, simply a feeling that seemed to make everything float a bit. What seemed like hours later, they finally (and reluctantly) broke the kiss and most everything had stopped floating - everything except themselves. Zoot was very aware of the fact that he was probably smiling stupidly and Janice very aware of the fact that she was probably laughing a bit. But did any of that really matter? No, not really.

“That was…” Zoot said simply for lack of better words.

“Rully!” She agreed, her smile wide. Her hands were warm. When did they lock fingers?

“Well, um, do you wanna do it again?” He said pulling her a bit closer. Janice laughed again, but he knew that it was because she was happy, not because something was funny. Suddenly her eyes widened and she pulled her hands from his.

“Ooh, no!”

“You don’t want to?” Zoot frowned.

“No, like, Floyd--” Janice walked quickly to the door and opened it. “Oh, good, you’re still there!”

Zoot followed her to the doorway and saw his old friend and band mate Floyd Pepper, sitting on the floor along with some sort of animal. Sweat was running down both of their faces.

“I thought you were just gonna be a minute!” Floyd said hoarsely. “Thought I was gonna die out here!”

“Die!” Animal echoed.

“Oh, like, I’m rully sorry, I kind of forgot you were here when…”

Floyd lifted himself up from the floor and finally saw Zoot behind Janice.

“Hey, man!” Floyd sprung up, suddenly energetic and gave his friend some cross between a hug and a pat. “Nice job on the girl!” He invited himself in.

“Um, good to see you too?” Zoot laughed. “Who’s that?” He looked at Animal, who had came in after Floyd and was eyeing Zoot’s sax.

“That’s my man Animal!” Floyd smiled. “He plays drums and likes women.”

“He doesn’t eat instruments, does he?” Zoot asked.

“Not much, man.” The bassist said. “Sorry to interrupt whatever you two were gonna do.”

“Like, we weren’t doing anything!” Janice said quickly.

-----------

It was ten by the time Dr. Teeth and Wanda finally reached the apartment, the former carrying boxes and the latter holding bags of food.

“So where am I sleeping tonight?” Wanda giggled.

“Well, there’s a few choices.” Dr. Teeth said. “There’s Zoot’s room, but-”

“You’d make me sleep in another man’s room?” Wanda said in fake surprise.

“I was just getting to that, I wouldn’t allow that.” He smiled. “There’s Janice’s room…she’s our guitarist…but it’s really small…there’s the couch, of course-”

“Of course.”

“There’s always my room, though.”

“And so where am I sleeping, out of all those choices?” The singer asked again, smiling coyly.

“I was thinking you could just sleep on the floor.” Teeth said with a straight face. “Put a few blankets down, roll up your coat for a pillow…”

“You would really let me sleep on the floor?”

“I’m very territorial of my bed space.” He nodded.

“After the bad day I had?” She raised an eyebrow.

“It wasn’t that bad was it?”

“Well, not after you showed up…”

They arrived at the door. Dr. Teeth put down his boxes and opened the door.

“Ay! Dr. Teeth!” Floyd exclaimed, getting up from the couch to meet his friend. “Zoot, stop staring at Janice and get your stuff!”

Before the sax player could leave his room, Janice left first, running up to Teeth.

“Like, what took so long, we were worried!” She exclaimed.

You were worried.” Zoot said, coming out of his room.

“I was worried too, man, what’s up?” Floyd, who was in fact not at all worried, exclaimed.

“I have no idea what’s going on, but I like it.” Dr. Teeth observed. Wanda, however, was feeling quite left out. That is, until she noticed someone was staring at her.

“WO-MAN!” Animal made for her, eyes wide.

“Animal, heel!” Floyd yelled, grabbing for the drummer’s chain. “Back!”

“Back!” Animal repeated, stopping his pursuit.

“Sorry ’bout that.” Floyd laughed.

“Is he going to do that again?” Wanda asked, eyeing Animal uneasily.

“Probably.”

“Oh, Wanda, like when did you get here?” Janice suddenly noticed the singer.

“I’ve…been here?”

“Wanda’s going to take advantage of our conviviality tonight.” Dr. Teeth supplied.

“ME TOO!” Animal exclaimed.

Once everyone was in and settled on either the couch or floor, they began to spread the food out onto the coffee table and take what they could.

“So why are you stayin’ here, magenta?” Floyd asked Wanda.

“Like, have you had any luck getting gigs?” Janice asked between bites of her veggie wrap.

“Well, that’s why I’m here…me and…” Wanda paused. “No, I haven’t had much luck.”

“So the good doctor invited you to his apartment.” Floyd said with a knowing laugh.

“The good bariste invited you to my apartment as well.” Dr. Teeth reciprocated, tearing down any bad thoughts the bassist probably had.

“Weren’t you with that Wayne guy?” Zoot spoke up.

“No.” The singer said firmly. Janice could have sworn that she saw the two singers getting rather close in the pub. They practically knew what the other was thinking. She decided to keep her mouth shut, as did everyone else.

“I miss that show.” Zoot said absentmindedly when the silence had fully sunk in.

“What show, man?” Floyd asked, taking the last of the sandwiches.

“What show indeed.” Teeth said, nearly lost in thought.

“I’m not really hungry.” Wanda said suddenly. “Do you mind if I get some sleep?”

“Not at all.” Dr. Teeth and Wanda got up and walked to the former’s bedroom. Dr. Teeth returned to the common room a moment later, the air suddenly not as thick.

“So what’ve you been up to, man?” The pianist asked Floyd, his golden smile a mile wide. “Where did your escape take you first?”

“Two words man,” Floyd laughed. “Slim Wilson.”

Animal let out a quiet, guttural growl at the name.

“Man, how does that guy keep finding you?” Teeth laughed as well.

The five stayed up into the early morning, talking about everything.

AnimatedC9000

Reaction score
Did I mention how much I love this story?

I love the little in-jokes you placed in here. I don't know if anyone else noticed them, though. XD

*re-reads a certain part in the story* Aww! That' so sweet!

Can't wait for the next chapter!

~ AnimatedC