FanFiction: Our Sweet Sound

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi. This was a nice surprise, and a very tender chapter. Plus, we finally got to know Scooter's back story in the overall harmony. Everything was marvelously portrayed, from his friends at the place of work to wanting him become the band's manager to his search for Skeeter. Thanks for posting and I hope this story does indeed continue.

Boppity

Reaction score
Thanks ^__^ I'll continue posting soon, hopefully, I've gotten a bit distracted with random stuffs XD

Boppity

Reaction score
Baaack again. I'll try to start posting more regularly now, promise! Random unrelated question - anyone here gotten their wisdom teeth pulled? I had mine taken out a week ago and these huge green-yellow bruises just now appeared on either side of my jaw - if you've had these, how long do they last? And how long until I can eat real food again? XD

Enough with my random rambling, onto chapter...seven. Yes, seven. There's actually music in this one, as well as ~drama~ and foreshadowing! XD

---
"Hey, Dr. Teeth, we've got another problem, man!" Floyd shouted from under the slightly-raised stage. His thin figure slowly crawled out, covered in dust. "There's only one outlet in the whole place! We can't hook up the amps or your keyboards!"

"Add it to the list, man." Teeth replied shortly.

The church had seemed like a good idea at first, not to say that it wasn't anymore. It still was. But now it no longer seemed like a place of freedom where they would be able to hold their own gigs and start a business, now it was a place of stress that taunted them with its potential. They knew that they could clean it up and turn it into something great. That was possibly the only thing driving them forward.

"And the coffee makers!" Janice exclaimed from under one of the pews.

"Girlie, if we can ever hold just one show here for us, we'll invest every dime in your coffee shop." Floyd laughed as he dusted himself off.

"Like, it's our coffee shop," Janice corrected him.

"You know the most about the business of it, besides the kid." Dr. Teeth commented. "Only natural that you should be the one running it."

"Oh, rully?"

"Zoot's back." Dr. Teeth added, hearing Scooter's van pull into what was once a parking lot. The blue-haired man, however, did not make an entrance.

"Probably fell asleep in the van..." Floyd muttered as he assessed the hole in the roof.

"I can get someone to examine that," Teeth nodded upwards. "My friend Harry can do something about the outlets…If I ever-”

“Hey, man, we got it!” Floyd said. “You don’t have to do all of it yourself.”

The doors suddenly opened, flooding the room with even more sunlight.

“Hey guys!” Scooter exclaimed, carrying a load of bags. “Guess who we saw at the store?”

“Don Knotts?” Dr. Teeth guessed.

“No - Jim Henson!”

“The Sam and Friends guy?” Floyd blinked.

“Like, wasn’t he the one who got Sesame Street on TV?” Janice asked, standing up and stretching.

“Yeah!” Scooter said. “And he was just in the store! Standing!”

“As opposed to sitting.” Dr. Teeth nodded. Zoot finally came into the church, carrying only a letter.

“He was really laid back, man.” He added.

“He was just in this laid back, zen kind of mood.” Scooter smiled.

“Like, how do you know all of that if you just saw him?” Janice asked.

“I just knew!” Scooter assured them. He turned to Dr. Teeth hopefully. “Aren't you impressed?”

“Not as much as I would be if we weren't good friends.” He said.

You're good friends with Jim Henson?” Scooter gaped, barely ale to process this information.

“We get anything good?” Floyd asked Zoot, effectively changing the subject.

“Mills sent us back the tape.” He held up the envelope.

“There’s no tape in there.” Floyd pointed out. “That doesn’t even look like the same envelope-”

“Oh!” Janice suddenly straightened up. “Like, I think I sent the tape to someone else by accident!”

“S’ okay, we’ll just send another.” Dr. Teeth said, looking back at the hole in the ceiling.

“Where did the first one go?” Zoot asked.

“Um, a vague location in the Amazon.” Janice said, glancing at Scooter. The boy began to laugh.

“I hope she can find a tape player!” He said, getting confused stared from the other males.

It must have been months since they started working on the church, and it seemed like they weren't getting anywhere. The hole in the roof was fixed (mostly) and there were now more electric sockets in the walls (which could spark at any moment). However, between the rabid plant infestation crisis, the general day-to-day havoc, and the mysterious things that occurred every time coffee was brought inside or even mentioned, all the positives seemed kind of small. Between practice and Janice and Zoot's jobs, there was only a maximum of a few hours each day to work. Scooter came by after school when he didn't have work, which did take a bit of the work off them.

Of course, the gigs they got always made it worth it. None of the labels they had sent their tape to had gotten back to them yet, but someone had to be listening to them because they were now getting more and more offers to play. They even had to turn down a few because they needed a day to just rest. Apparently, or so they heard through Scooter, they had a small fanbase who called themselves the “Mayhem Groupies.”

“Our music is mayhem, huh?” Floyd laughed.

“Never got a higher compliment!” Dr. Teeth said.

“COM-PLI-MENT!”

Tonight was one of those nights. They were playing to a rather packed crowd and loved every second of it. The audience even screamed and cheered at the songs that the group thought were their weaker ones.

“Alright!” Dr. Teeth exclaimed into his mic after they had just finished a cover of “Tenderly.” “This is Dr. Teeth and we'll be back to play more mayhem in a few minutes!”

A song that was popular on the radio came on the speakers and the lights no longer focused on the band.

“I think we're doing good tonight!” Floyd said as he set his bass down and flexed his hand a few times.

“Like, I'm gonna get something to drink, you guys want anything?” Janice asked, laying her guitar down.

“I can't drink liquids while I'm playing sax.” Zoot said. "I lose all my focus."

Janice had left the stage before hearing whatever the absurd explanation for that must have been, a smile plastered on her face. As she passed through the crowd the the bar, a few people came up to her and told her what a great job the band was doing and if they would take her picture and if she was single. It was people like them (although maybe not the people asking if she was single) who made playing really worth it.

“Can I get some water?” Janice asked the bartender. As she waited, yet another fan zoomed up from behind her.

“Woah, you're taller offstage!” Exclaimed the female. Janice turned to the girl, who was looking at Janice with pure awe. She was dressed much like Janice, with a yellow tank top and jeans that had been cut off above the knee. Her hair was long and red and separated into a few dreadlocks, and her eyes were magnified behind huge glasses. “You guys were great!”

“Like, thanks!” Janice smiled.

“Way better in person!” The girl added.

“In person?” Janice stared closer at the girl. Suddenly it hit her – she thought her plan had failed before it started, but... “Are you Skeeter?”

“Skeeter Grosse, at your service!” The girl grinned and gave a mock salute. “I don't know why you sent me that tape, but it was like a sign to me, telling me to come back home!”

Janice stared at her a moment more before looking around quickly. “Um, Skeeter, like, don't move, okay?” The blonde ran backstage, looking desperately for Scooter.

The other four members of the band were relaxing in the alley outside the club, waiting for one of the stagehands to tell them that they needed to return.

“Hey, man, who's the hat?” Floyd nodded towards the street. Wayne was approaching them and he did not look at all pleased.

“Look, you!” He stared at Dr. Teeth. “When you hired me, I thought you were the nicest person in the world! And I still respected you even after you fired me! But now this...!”

Floyd and Animal, who had no idea who the man was, thought that Wayne was some random street-lunatic and were simply amused. Zoot, however, knew exactly what Wayne was talking about and knew exactly what the face on Teeth's face meant. He hated anger.

“Let's get back in-”

“Aw, man, I wanna watch this-”

“BAD MAN!”

The sax player managed to get the two inside, leaving Wayne and Dr. Teeth alone.

“Why did you take her from me?” Wayne accused. The pianist simply stared at him for a moment.

“I trust Wanda's word, one hundred percent.” Dr. Teeth said.

“Well so do I!” Wayne shouted.

“I don't see any reason why she'd lie to me.”

“What, so you decided you had to be the lying side of your relationship?”

“She told me you two broke up.” Dr. Teeth said simply. Wayne didn't have a quick remark. “Did you?”

“Er, well...” Wayne shuffled his feet. “It depends how you define breaking up.”

“When two people who were previously in a relationship agree to no longer seeing another on romantic terms.”

“But I still see her!” Wayne said. “We're always together! Except, um, when we're not.”

“Uh huh.”

“And I still love her!” Wayne exclaimed honestly.

Dr. Teeth sighed. “I'm sorry.”

“She said there was no spark left in our relationship! She said we should just be friends! Be professionals!” Wayne said, now pacing back and forth, talking to Dr. Teeth like he was his psychiatrist. “I don't know what she was talking about! I was fine! I was happy!” Wayne now looked up at Dr. Teeth, who was leaning against the wall. “You could be a little more sympathetic!”

“You accused me of stealing her,” Dr. Teeth reminded him.

“Well you did!” Wayne said, now irrationally angry again. “I bet that's why she left me!”

“Wayne.” Dr. Teeth straightened up. “I'm no saint, but you know I would never do that.”

“You glitter!” Wayne exclaimed. “Girls always fall for guys that glitter!”

“I don't glitter that much.” Dr. Teeth said, trying to smile in an attempt to make the mood a bit less tense. “Look, man. I'm sorry it didn't work out between the two of you, and I'm sorry that the feelings weren't mutual. I've been there before.” He rested one of his hands on Wayne's shoulder, making the smaller man jump. “But don't say that I stole her. I already have a bad reputation of being that kinda guy because most of the girls I've had things with had insecure ex-boyfriends like you who weren't ready to let go.” The pianist sighed. “I'm sorry that had to sound so harsh, but I really wish people would stop saying that about me.”

The door to the club swung open suddenly and Scooter quickly jumped down the stairs.

"Hey boss, you're on in...oh." The boy realized he was interrupting.

“I’ll leave.” Wayne muttered.

“Come and watch the show,” Dr. Teeth offered. “There’s no hard feelings, right?”

“Oh, no there are.” The singer said with a sigh. Wayne looked at Dr. Teeth and attempted a smile. “But they’re mostly on my side.” With that, he turned and retreated out of the alley, giving the two a feeble wave before disappearing around the corner.

“That was weird.” Scooter remarked. “Anyway, you're on in-” he checked his watch, “-five seconds ago.”

“I've still got a few minutes, then.” Dr. Teeth said.

“But-”

At that moment Janice appeared in the doorway looking frantic.
“Like, Scooter, you gotta come quick it's-”

“But you're on and-”

“See, no one expects a musician to perform when they say they will, not until one of those reunion concerts with none of the original members, but no one really cares about those anyways.” Dr. Teeth explained.

“Scooter, it's Skeeter!”Janice practically shouted. Scooter stared at her for a moment, checking her face for any sign that she was lying, then shot off into the club.

“Who's Skeeter?” Dr. Teeth asked, making his way inside.

“Scooter's twin sister that he hasn't seen for, like, ever.” Janice explained, closing the door behind them. The rest of the band was waiting backstage. She tried to explain Scooter's story the best she could.

“But then,” Floyd began, “If they were so close why'd she stay in the Amazon?”

“And why'd she come back now?” Zoot asked.

“Like, I don't really know,” Janice smiled. “But it was important to him.”

“I do love a happy ending.” Dr. Teeth remarked. “Right! Let's play a song about reunited siblings in their honor!”

“I don't know a song like that,” Janice said.

“We'll just have to improvise then,” Dr. Teeth said, heading onstage.

“I think I'll need the water, then.” Zoot commented as the cheers of the crowd grew louder.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yaey! Skeeter! And the conversation between Dr. Teeth and Wayne... And Scooter being so Scooterish. Com-Pli-Ment!
*Hugs this whole chapter. More please!

Boppity

Reaction score
Yay! Thanks :] I'm glad you like it so much!

-blinks, zooms back to chapter two and skims through Lips's lines- Maaaaybe...or maybe noooot...-shifty eyes-

Boppity

Reaction score
I have an announcement! -ahem- ...I'm not dead! :]

However, I have no new chapter to show at the moment D: My writing muse has been on the run (plus that whole college freshman thing) and there's these few lines by Scooter that are killing me even though they're so simple...! -rants-...BUT! I was able to write something yesterday, so I think it's coming back to me! Expect a new chapter in the near future! dadadaDA! -scurries off-

Boppity

Reaction score
Wow. It's been months since I last posted, and I feel really bad for that. I haven't forgotten the story at all, but this writer's block, lack of inspiration, and college stuff just made it terrible for me to even think about this story, which is sad because I've had it in my head for over a year...I think that was my biggest fear about posting it, that I would forget it and leave it unfinished...so, despite losing my muse, I'm going to try and post more regularly. Try really hard.

Also, note that the last half of this chapter was written today and isn't quite up to par with the rest, but...I needed to get to the next chapters, good stuff will happen!

Alright, enough of my whining...without further ado, the very delayed chapter eight!
--------
It was certain. Zoot absolutely, unconditionally, and unimaginably loved Janice. Everything about her was perfect. She was so smart, so beautiful, talented, optimistic...
He was so certain, so comfortable, so very, very sure that everything in the world was right and she was the sole cause...
Not that he had told her any of this.

He deserved credit for trying, though. After what must have been months, they finally fixed up the church so it was decent enough to hold about one hundred of their biggest fans as they played like never before. Afterwards, the band went out to Shonen's - one of the fancier restaurants - to celebrate. Zoot and Janice were able to duck away afterward, and after a lot of wandering and laughing ended back at their church. Everything was right, he was going to tell her all he feelings he had inside of him, even if it was just those three words, but just then Animal, Floyd, and Dr. Teeth made a loud entrance, singing some old Wiffenpouf song in two different keys.

And so, there he was, the words still inside him.

-
“Ladies and Gentlemen!” Scooter exclaimed into the microphone. “Are...well, are you ready to rock?”

He was met with a chorus of “Yeah!”

“Um, good! 'Cause here they are, the highlight of the evening! The very wonderful, the very exciting, the very violent and, um-” The boy stuck his head behind the curtain for a second. “-The financially very successful...” Same as always, Scooter mumbled some random sounds into the microphone, pretending that he actually said the band name. He really wished they'd choose one. But, as always, the crowd didn't care if they had a name or not, they just wanted to hear them play!

Scooter left the stage and the curtain rose, and on came the band, already jumping into their first song.

Tonight they were performing in a rather small club, the kind where the same people came back every night, devoted to the place as if they built it themselves. But never before had they seen a band like the one playing in front of them. They put their entire body and soul into their music; they acted as if they didn't even notice the audience was there and they were just playing to themselves, laughing and having fun. The band gave the audience all their energy, and the crowd gave it right back with their cheers and screams. Why weren't they everywhere?

“That was great, guys!” Scooter exclaimed as he heaved the last amp into the back of the van. “I think that was your best show yet.”

“Like, you say that at the end of all of our shows.” Janice pointed out.

“Well, it's true!”

After a quick inspection to make sure that everything was accounted for, the six climbed into the van (which was no longer dull gray, but a bright green) and set off for their church.

“Which song y'think we did best?” Floyd asked from the back.

“One about the girl.” Zoot suggested, leaning his head against the window.

“Almost all of our songs are about girls.” Dr. Teeth said with a laugh.

“You think, like, maybe we could sing a song about a guy?” Janice asked.

“Man, I don't wanna sing a song about a guy!” Floyd exclaimed.

“Alright, alright,” Dr. Teeth waved a long arm. “We'll write a song about something we are all very enamored with.”

“Which is...?” Zoot asked.

“Cheesecake.” The pianist said pointedly.

“Like, there's already a rull popular song about cheesecake, isn't there?” Janice pointed out.

“Small complication.” He laughed.

Half an hour later, everything was stashed in the church and the band was once again in the bus, headed first to Floyd and Animal's apartment to drop them off.

“Um, hey guys?” Scooter spoke up during one of the few moments of silence. “I got something I gotta, um, say.”

“What's up, man?” Floyd asked, raising a bushy eyebrow.

“Well, ever since Skeeter's come back, my uncle's been talking about...business. The family business.” The boy said.

“Everything is always about business nowadays.” Dr. Teeth muttered.

“LOVE!” Animal said involuntarily.

“Ding.” Zoot added from his half-sleep.

“Like, what does that mean?” Janice asked.

“Well...he's planning on taking us with him on all of his business trips…” Scooter said quietly.

The whole bus went quiet for a moment – he had become a member of their small family.

“Scooter…” Janice mumbled.

“Alright then!” Dr. Teeth said suddenly. “For the rest of your time with this humble collection of music-ians, Scooter Grosse shall officially be the manager of…us!”

“I thought he was the manager!” Floyd blinked.

“It was an unspoken decision.” Dr. Teeth said as he drove the bus further into the bad part of town. “But now that it has been spoken, Scooter can officially and actually receive that which will be most valuable in his future.”

“Knowledge and wisdom?” Scooter asked in awe.

“A paycheck!”

--
It was one of those days. One of those days where you wake up, the air is crisp, there’s not a bit of sleep still in your eyes, and you just know that it’s going to be a good day.

Zoot knew he would tell her today.

"Today I propose that which has become most increasingly evident." Dr. Teeth announced as he strolled into the church, Scooter following behind him.

"That the forces of nature won't let coffee be made or sold in here?" Floyd asked.

"We are becoming increasingly popular." Dr. Teeth went on.

"Of course!" Scooter added.

"Cats seem to love our covers and like our original songs-"

"Notice the difference in verbs." Scooter added.

"I did!" Janice smiled.

"But if we really want to appease our crowds, we need a hit." The pianist finished.

"Well, yeah, but, like, how do you make a "hit"?" Janice asked.

"A hit just "comes" to you, or so I have read." Dr. Teeth explained.

"So...we wait for something to come to us." Floyd nodded.

"Let, not wait." Teeth corrected.

"Is there a difference, man?" Zoot spoke up.

"DIF-FRENCE!" Animal added.

"Everything's different from everything," Scooter replied in imitation of Dr. Teeth.

"So we sit here and...let." Floyd said before plopping himself down on a pew.

"I'll go count the money from the last show." Scooter said as he headed towards the stairs.

The rest of the band sat down at or with their instruments. Floyd ran his fingers up and down his bass strings, softly humming some weird version of the national anthem. Janice stared blankly ahead, seemingly deep in thought, but actually thinking about where she and Zoot would go for dinner that night. Dr. Teeth sat in repose. Animal was the only one actually playing anything, but it wasn't really he basis for a song.

Zoot, however, was thinking about notes, the notes he heard in his head whenever he thought about Janice. Most of them really made no sense and a few of them didn't even exist. But then there was that one thing...like sunshine inside of a lava lamp...the "duun-" and the "daan-" and the "dun da dun, da dun."

"That was progress!" Scooter yelled from the second floor. Zoot hadn't realized that he had started to play. His bandmates stopped their thinking and nodded an approval.

"Play that again," Dr. Teeth said. Zoot played the few notes, stronger than before. The pianist got up from his keyboards and sat before the old organ at the front of the church. "Once more with feeling?" He asked. As Zoot played, Dr. Teeth joined in, hitting the same notes then going off into another thing. Floyd joined in as well, then Animal, then Janice...they were all playing, but this wasn't just a jam session, this was something more, something better, some sort of multi-colored, rhythmic catharsis...

"Is this your hit?" Floyd exclaimed.

"Looks like it!"

---
“Woah, hey, hoh, hold it!” After what seemed like hours, Dr. Teeth called for them to stop. The song had evolved from an awkward combination of notes that sounded the same to some sort of auditory lava lamp. Zoot blinked from behind his sunglasses. Is this what love sounded like? The sax player turned to the door where light was now pouring in and saw two people – well, a frog and a bear – had come into their church.

“Seems like our gentle mornin’ melody have attracted wandering admirerers.”

“Hey, like, I know you!” Janice exclaimed. “You’re from Sam and Friends and Sesame Street!”

“See, Kermit, everyone loves you!” The bear said.

“Um, who are you guys?” Kermit the Frog asked.

“We am, is, are and be they whom as are known as…us!” Dr. Teeth flashed a golden grin.

“Us?” The frog repeated.

“They can’t choose a name!” Scooter shouted from the floor above.

“That’s too easy!” Floyd laughed.

“You guys are a band?” Kermit asked.

“They are holding instruments.” Fozzie nodded.

“Like, you guys must not be from around here.” Janice said.

“Actually, Kermit’s from the swamp!” Fozzie exclaimed.

“Well what brings you dudes here?” Floyd asked.

“Well,“ Fozzie began, “This fisherman came along, and-”

“Fozzie, you aren’t going to tell them the whole story, are you?” Kermit asked as he suppressed a yawn.

“The band wants to know!”

“Don’t worry about it, frog, I have a good eye for plots and I think I know where this is going.” Dr. Teeth said. “This fisherdude, he gave you an offer that could change your life forever, right?”

“Well, yeah.” Kermit said, surprised.

“We’re going to Hollywood to be big stars!” Fozzie exclaimed. “Well, bigger, in Kermit’s case.”

“So you’re going along, minding your own business when out from the sky comes your antagonist!” Dr. Teeth said dramatically.

“Doc Hopper?” Kermit asked.

“If you say so!” Dr. Teeth nodded.

“Like, he went to a bar after that.” Janice said. “Guys always go to a bar after they’re put down.”

“I do!” Floyd laughed.

“He met the bear then.” Zoot piped up.

“He was in between the line of chorus girls.” Dr. Teeth said.

“Why were there chorus girls there?” Scooter asked as he came down the stairs.

“I just assumed, I mean, my pub had chorus girls.”

“No it didn’t!” Both Janice and Zoot said at the same time.

For about half an hour the band took turns telling parts of the story, which was in fact quite close to what really happened, if one took out the aliens, mysterious telephones, and Picasso. By the time the fictional Kermit and Fozzie had reached the church, which was twelve times bigger in their story, they had gone around the world twice.

“…then Kermit and Fozzie come walkin' down the aisle to the thunderously loud music of Janice, Animal, Floyd, Zoot, and Dr. Teeth. Which am us!”

The band cheered for themselves and their story.

“This was rully fun.” Janice smiled peacefully.

“Man, we could make a movie out of this stuff!” Floyd exclaimed.

“Movies aren’t really in my appetite.” Dr. Teeth said with a slight frown.

“Either way,” Floyd said, “We gotta keep this little froggy away from this Hopper dude!”

“Too true, too true.” Dr. Teeth nodded. “However,” he waved his hands towards the pews, “It seems to me the frog and the bear are temporarily out of service.”

“Easy, we just gotta figure out a good plot device to go with the rest of our story.” Floyd said.

“Like disguising the car so it’s won’t be recognized!” Scooter said suddenly. The band gave an enthusiastic consent and at once they took all of the paint that was meant for the church and began to make a cosmic design on the Studebaker.

Zoot couldn’t help but sigh inwardly, however. When they were all playing their song, they all put a bit of themselves into it. He put his feelings toward Janice in it, and the more they played, the stronger it got. And he was determined, that night, he would tell her. But then the paint happened. He was definitely all for helping friends, old or new, but he wondered how long he could keep up that same level of energy, especially with such a distracting factor as paint. As he painted, he started to hum their song to himself. Slowly, one by one, each member began to hum the song as well, it came naturally after how long they had been playing it.

And suddenly, they had lyrics.

By the end of the day, they had not only gone through three versions of the song with at least ten different verses non stop, but they had painted the Studebaker a thousand times better than any of them had expected. Kermit and Fozzie came outside shortly after it was completed, the bear shocked and ecstatic and the frog simply shocked.

“I don’t know how to thank you guys.” Fozzie said.

“And I don’t know why to thank you guys.” Kermit muttered.

The two groups exchanged farewells, all of them knowing that this wasn’t the last time they were seeing the other. The band watched and waved as the two drove down the dusty path, then began to retreat into the church.

“Oh, like, that was fun!” Janice exclaimed.

“Nice kids.” Dr. Teeth nodded.

“But aren’t you guys forgetting something?” Scooter asked. The band looked at each other.

“Me and Janice are going out to dinner tonight.” Zoot said.

“I remembered to hide the keys from Animal.” Floyd said.

“IGNITION! IGNITION!”

“You guys made a hit!” Scooter exclaimed.

“Oh yeah…” Janice mumbled.

“Maybe.” Dr. Teeth said.

“Man, I don’t know how much I like that bursting into song thing.” Floyd laughed.

“But…it was good!” Scooter insisted. “It just came to you, it was like magic to me!”

“It was okay.” Zoot added.

“Don’t you think something’s missing?” Janice asked.

“You guys…” Scooter started again.

“Maybe we need another chorus…”

Scooter sighed and returned to the second floor.

----
After a light supper in a casual restaurant, Janice and Zoot ended up going to back to Xanadu and back to Zoot’s old room, as he had been putting off editing one of his poems for about a week.

“I’m sorry about this, babe.” He muttered as he pulled some sheets from the desk. “You can go back to the apartment, I’ll catch up later.”

“But, like, I want to stay here with you.” She smiled widely from over his shoulder, trying to catch a glimpse of whatever he was writing. His heart skipped a beat.

“I’ll be quick.” He said, his arm covering up the poem. He didn’t want her to se it until it was perfect. He watched as she floated towards his bookshelf, which now only held back issues of the magazine, then turned back to his work. It was really no use, though, even though it was a love poem, all it was saying to him now was “tell her.”

“It’s almost Thanksgiving.” Zoot said.

“Like, I don’t know how to cook a turkey.” Janice said, ruffling through pages.

“Yeah.”

Silence.

Do it.

Inhale.

“What do you think?” Zoot asked. “About everything.”

“Like, everything is great.” Janice smiled from her seat on the empty bed. “But I don’t like how the weather’s getting colder, I don’t like wearing a lot of clothes. I don‘t have a lot of blankets either.”

“Um, yeah.” Zoot said. Inhale. “I meant with us.”

“Ohh.” Janice said, her voice now more quiet and vulnerable. She smiled brightly. “You know everything’s great. I think you‘re the best!” She stood up and walked towards where he sat.

“You are.” Zoot said, a small smile on his lips as he joined hands with her’s.

“Hey, Zoot, I was wondering…” She looked almost nervous now.

“Yeah?” He blinked.

“We’ve been going out for a while now, and it -is- almost winter, and, like, I was wondering, if maybe, like,” she frowned slightly, looking exactly like Zoot felt minutes ago, “If you want to move into my room?”

Zoot sighed, he was expecting her to say something terrible. “That‘s it?”

“Of course that’s it, it was a lot for me to say.” Janice with a frown.

“I mean, yeah!” Zoot said, giving her hands a squeeze. “Of course I want to.” He had been so surprised by what she said that he hadn’t even realized what she said. She wanted to be closer. Janice smiled brighter than ever. She bent down and kissed him, her hair forming a curtain around them, their own private world.

He could tell her tomorrow.

It took only three minutes now for him to finish his writing and get it to the layout people. Janice and Zoot left the buildings and were greeted with crisp winds. The bus was outside waiting for them. They could see not only Dr. Teeth was inside, but Animal and Floyd (who gave Zoot a thumbs up) as well.

“Like, what’s going on?” Janice asked as she and Zoot climbed inside.

“I was ruminating about the bear and the frog.” Dr. Teeth said as he closed the door and began to drive. “Their story seems to be just like a movie, and if I’m right, we’re the recurring characters who come and save them.”

“We’re going to Hollywood!” Floyd exclaimed.

“HOL-LY-WOOD!” Animal shouted, excited as Floyd.

The lime green bus flew down the roads, a comet in the sky.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*Glomps Boppity. Absotively posolutely love what you're writing here... Please, post more!