Favorite Christmas Songs

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Baby Animal said:
I'm with Hera. I love Carol of the Bells. And I liked back in the 80's there was the California Raisin's Christmas Special. One of the songs was "Here we come a'wasslin' along." They made funny puns (Here we come a wafflin' along -- waffle salesmen, Here we come a waddlin' along -- ducks).
We have that on tape! It's pretty funny, and that's the big running gag of the show. Well, they get it right eventually... :stick_out_tongue: And Jim Backus is in it too, how cool it that? :cool:
Erin

Phantom

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
Is it "Carol of the Bells?" My old church had a bell choir, and they always did that one. It's always on some commercial this time of year, a jewelry one I think?

Artist: Carpenters Lyrics
Song: Carol Of The Bells Lyrics
Link: Carpenters biography, discography and gallery

Hark! How the bells, sweet silver bells
All seem to say, "Throw cares away."
Christmas is here, bringing good cheer
To young and old, meek and the bold
Ding, dong, ding, dong, that is their song,
With joyful ring, all caroling
One seems to hear words of good cheer
From everywhere, filling the air
O, how they pound, raising the sound
O'er hill and dale, telling their tale

Gaily they ring, while people sing
Songs of good cheer, Christmas is here!
Merry, merry, merry, merry Christmas!
Merry, merry, merry, merry Christmas!

Erin
I never knew that song had words. :confused: Wow! I once heard a vocal group do it with "bings" and "bongs" (not the Tommy Chong kind). It was hauntingly beautiful. (I'm trying to use the word "hauntingly" more often.)

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I had today off of work so I stayed home and did Christmassy stuff and listened to four of my Essential Christmas Albums: the Muppets and John Denver, Peter Paul and Mary, Neil Diamond, and Prairie Home Companion. What's more, it's snowing!! :big_grin: It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas...
Erin

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
I still get choked up over "Do They Know It's Christmas" by Band Aid (1984). I still have the original 45 w/ pic sleeve! I also love Bing Crosby's Christmas album. I have an early pressing of it from the 60's, but they processed in fake stereo, which drives me nuts. Also I love Boney M's Christmas album, and Elvis, of course. I have a couple of mixes I've made over the past 2 years, including rare stuff by Queen, George Harrison, the Monkees, Jethro Tull, and OH YEAH...Harry Connick, Jr. Man! I love that guy's Christmas album. My wife turned me on to that one. I almost have enough for my 3rd mix, but I'll wait til next year, I guess. I keep forgetting to put the very rare "Christmas Time is Here Again" by the Beatles, as I have it on the b-side of the "Free As a Bird" 45. Actually,*I always end up saying "Oh, I should've put...(so and so) on this one..."

eric

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Ooh, I don't think I've heard that one. I love the Beatles. I don't think I've ever heard "Do They Know It's Christmas" either. It's amazing how many Christmas songs have been written! I always want to write one, but it's so hard to come up with something that doesn't feel like it's copying someone else. I did write one a couple years ago, maybe the muse will strike again this year! :smile:
Erin

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
"Do They Know It's Christmas" was a record set up to benefit the victims of famine in Africa in 1984. Sir Bob Geldof (not "Sir" at the time, just a singer) secured Paul Young, Boy George, George Michael, Sting, Phil Collins, Bono, Bananarama, Kool and the Gang, and a host of other huge pop stars to perform the song totally for free. He even got the right people to donate free artwork, record pressing service, and got someone to throw in the actual vinyl for free...just so that all money made from the record could go to aid victims. Shops were not even allowed to take a stocking fee for selling the record. All money had to go to Africa. This first act led to his eventual Knighthood, actually, and was followed by the amazing "Live Aid" concert in summer of 1985, airing on over 90% of the televisions on the globe!!!!!! I still have some highlights from it and it's very exciting to watch.

"Christmas Time is Here Again" by the Beatles, was included on the ultra-rare mail-out record sent out every year to fan-club members only, in 1967, although never in complete form, only faded in and out throughout the record periodically. This was also re-released on real vinyl (the fan club records were pressed on cardboard, and thus wore out quite easily or ripped...whichever happened first) in 1970 on an Apple album, compiling all fan club records in one place. This is unfortunately as hard to find as the cardboard one's!! (I had a picture of myself holding a copy and making a very surprised face once, along with another pic of me holding Lennon's super rare "Roots" album, but then the film got exposed and the pic's lost....*sigh*) In 1995, the complete song was released as the b-side to the reunion-styled "Free As A Bird" to compliment the Anthology One 3-record set, but was not on the Anthology album. (This makes record collecting fun, IMHO, as it's not as readily available to the average Joe.) The song itself is a little repetitive, but pleasant.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
They both sound cool, and the purpose behind the first one is really neat. :smile:
Erin

Whatever

Reaction score
I wrote a Christmas song at the age of three and my mom wrote it down. She sings it when she wants to embarass me. Christmas through the eyes of a three year old! Here it is:
"Let the angels fly
Let the angels fly
If you're good you get presents
If you're bad you get coal
Let the angels fly"

I find the materialism expressed in it to be completely humiliating :embarrassed: , but I still like the image "Let the angels fly." :smile:

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Beebers said:
Pretty much all Christmas songs are wonderful but O Holy Night, when done properly, voice or instrumental, is, yes, transcendent is the word. The ultimate carol.
I completely agree---100%. That song done "just right" can be the perfect numinous experience.

"What Child Is This" is another big'un, and then I really like almost everything else. 'Specially close to my heart are songs my home church's Living Christmas Tree did (and I used to sing it, too). LOVE those great choir pieces!

:flirt: