Favorite Christmas Songs

Beebers

Reaction score
I sang Chorus for twelve years throughout school, in the first soprano section. Every year we gave a Christmas show with several performances, some just for school, and some for the public. O Holy Night was always the hushed-audience-show-stopper.
We also always sang the Allelulia Chorus, which is the most arduous of the Christmas songs to sing by far, and just had people falling down at the end because they recognized how much work it was. In those days we dressed, it was a big deal, we all wore white tops and black pressed skirts or pants for the guys. It was very formal and important.

HeraLirambar

Reaction score
I like: the songs from Nightmare Before Christmas, b/c you can listen 'em around October or December! :smile: :sing:

Manda:-D

Reaction score
I sang in a chorus for most of me high school career, too, Beebers!!! :big_grin:
We sang at a LOT of performances, and would start practicing in October....We wore these long black opera dresses & high heels, and the guys wore the STUPIEST looking tuxes I've ever seen....Still better than junior high, though, where us choir kids had to wear these stupid looking tuxedo shirts & cumberbunds & bowties...But on to Christmas!!!!!
It's hard to pick a favorite Christmas song...I've sung SO many....B/w my years in the school chorus & in church choirs, I feel like I've got a/b a 50-song repertoire for Christmas music, now...
"The First Noel", to Pachalbell's Canon in D. It's SOOO pretty that way!!!
"Carol of the Bells."
"The Hallejuah Chorus." Indeed, not easy to sing, but it's SUCH fun!!!
"Mary, Lay Your Little One Here." It's an obscure one...I only just learned it this past year.
"O Holy Night." For all the reasons everybody else said.
"The King Shall Come When Morning Dawns." More of an Advent song. Again, obscure, but VERY pretty!!!
"Greensleaves." ("What Child Is This", but w/slightly different words.)
"We Three Kings."
"Good King Wensceslas."
"Christmastime is Here", From Charlie Brown. :big_grin:

anathema

Reaction score
Manda:-D said:
"Greensleaves." ("What Child Is This", but w/slightly different words.)
Actually, the tune is called "Greensleeves" (spelling can vary, it's pretty old). No-one knows who originally wrote it and I can't remember when it first appears in musical history. There are many songs set to it, of which "What Child Is This" is only one ;-)

For an excellent variation on the melody, you should check out Vaughan-Williams' "Fantasia on Greensleeves". Highly recommended!

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
I like Carol of the Bells and Oh Holy Night, they are so pretty :excited: I want to go caroling so bad, I have not been for like years

frogturtle

Reaction score
I don't know the name of this song, but it is about a little boy who wants to buy shoes for his mother because she is dying. That is my absolute favorite. Another one is "Mary Did You Know", and "Silent Night", and so many more. I listen to them all day. I have found 2 radio stations with Christmas music on all day throughout December. I love Christmas!
Valerie

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I have so many favorite Christmas songs! To be fair, I'll limit it to non-Muppety ones. I'd have to say that of more sacred songs, "O Holy Night" just gets me every time. What a perfect Christmas song! Of more secular Christmas songs, I really love "The Christmas Song"--especially when sung by Nat King Cole. Or me. I love it when it's sung by me, too.

:smile:

P.S. That's not meant to be smug, or anything. I just love to sing, especially at Christmas-time. Or anytime, actually. :sing:

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
frogturtle said:
I don't know the name of this song, but it is about a little boy who wants to buy shoes for his mother because she is dying. That is my absolute favorite. Another one is "Mary Did You Know", and "Silent Night", and so many more. I listen to them all day. I have found 2 radio stations with Christmas music on all day throughout December. I love Christmas!
Valerie
I think that's "The Christmas Shoes" you're thinking of. :smile: I'm loving all the Christmas music on the radio. It's on the mall radio, and I listen to our soft rock station at night and hear some great Christmas songs on there. Our oldies station has some good stuff too.
Erin

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
AndyWan Kenobi said:
I just love to sing, especially at Christmas-time. Or anytime, actually. :sing:
Ooh, me too! I'm probably the only one who likes it when I sing... :stick_out_tongue: But it's lots of fun, and very good for getting me in the festive spirit. Except I've had a sore throat since Thanksgiving and haven't really been able to sing since then...grr... but soon! I think my brother beat his sore throat now, which is good since tryouts for the musical are tomorrow!!
Erin

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
Ooh, me too! I'm probably the only one who likes it when I sing... :stick_out_tongue: But it's lots of fun, and very good for getting me in the festive spirit. Except I've had a sore throat since Thanksgiving and haven't really been able to sing since then...grr... but soon! I think my brother beat his sore throat now, which is good since tryouts for the musical are tomorrow!!
Erin
Well, I hope you and your brother feel better! There's nothing like singing at the holidays. Especially on the road--sometimes on long road trips our ferrets get to hear us sing in the car for hours at a time. They seem relatively unmoved by the experience, but it's fun for us!!

:smile: