1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Favorite Electric Mayhem songs?

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by cjd874, Nov 30, 2012.

1. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

I am a huge fan of Dr. Teeth & the EM band, so I decided to create a thread about them.

My favorites are "Tenderly" (record version with extended sax solo), "Don't Blame the Dynamite," "Sweet Tooth Jam," "Little Saint Nick," (from Muppets' & John Denver's Christmas album) and "Can You Picture That?"
    Solo members songs are also allowed. So I'd choose "Money" and "Cheesecake" by Dr. Teeth and "Lady Be Good" and "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" by Floyd.
    MuppetLuver2000 likes this.
  2. Vincent Liu

Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

I think it's definitely "Money". One of the more funnier songs, with nice visuals.
  3. AlittleMayhem

AlittleMayhem Well-Known Member

I loved Poison Ivy by Dr. Teeth! Short but quite funny. It looked like he gained the Newsman's cruse as a one off. XD
    charlietheowl likes this.
  4. MissMusical12

MissMusical12 Well-Known Member

Gosh, it's hard to pick just one song......I would pick all of them, but that's being a little too obvious. I'll just pick my personal favorites.
    Group:
    *Can You Picture That (TMM)
    *Night Life (GMC)
    *Love Ya To Death (version in the Harvey Korman episode)
    *Don't Blame The Dynamite
    *Sweet Tooth Jam
    *Mr. Bassman (with Scooter! ;))
    *Barnyard Boogie
    *Rockin' Robin (I grew up in LOVE with that one.)
    *Jingle Bell Rock (Muppet Family Christmas)
    *Run Run Rudolph (version from Rockafeller Center Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony)

Solos/Duets/Other:
    *ALL of Floyd's solos (with While My Guitar Gently Weeps still my all time favorite)
    *All three of Floyd and Janice's duets (Blackbird (I'm counting that one even though Janice didn't sing in it), 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover and Act Naturally)
    *With A Little Help From My Friends (Janice)
    *Sax and Violence (Zoot)
    *Animal's Drum Battle with Buddy Rich
    *Money (Dr. Teeth)
    *Six String Orchestra (with Scooter)
    *Honeysuckle Rose (Floyd and Zoot)
    *Mack The Knife (Dr. Teeth and Sam Eagle)
    *In The Good Old Summertime (Floyd and Pearl Bailey)
    *It's In His Kiss (Janice, Linda Ronstadt, and The Female Singers)

Accompanies for Guest Stars:
    *Crocodile Rock (Elton John)
    *Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (Elton John)
    *Bye Bye Blackbird (Lou Rawls)
    *It Don't Mean A Thing, If It Ain't Got That Swing (Cleo Laine)
    *That Old Black Magic (Jaye P. Morgan)
    *Blue (Helen Reddy)
    *Walk Right Back (Anne Murray)
    *Last Time I Saw Him (Diana Ross)
    *The Roaring 20's Medley (The Varsity Drag/Alexander's Ragtime Band) (James Coburn)
    *Loves Me Like A Rock (Paul Simon)
    *When The Saints Go Marching In (Hal Linden)
    *Blue Bayou (Linda Ronstadt)
  5. MissMusical12

How could I forget that one! That one was funny! :D
  6. muppetfan24/7

muppetfan24/7 Well-Known Member

Jim Henson always came up with funny ideas back then and made funny characters with personally. I don't mean to be so specific about that song, but he was always a funny man according to Frank Oz.
  7. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

Yep, it's definitely a showcase for Jim Henson's singing skills...Jim, Jerry, & Richard were the best ones at singing fast-paced tunes, and they all were "members" of the Electric Mayhem.
    Also, the slot machine gag at the end of "Money" kills me every time.

I LOVE "Rockin' Robin." That was actually the first EM song I ever heard from an old videotape that I think I still have.
    Thanks for mentioning "Barnyard Boogie" & "Jingle Bell Rock." I forgot about those.

In regards to the EM accompanying guests, can I also give a shout-out to the "Lullaby of Birdland" number with Don Knotts? That is not only musical, but hysterically funny. Especially the line from Dr. Teeth: Sheet music? I haven't seen that stuff in years! Hey, look at that. The cat can follow the dots!
  8. MissMusical12

That's where I heard Rockin' Robin the first time, when I watched it on video tape when I was like 4 or 5. I don't know what happened to that video tape, though. My mom probably got rid of it. I'm not worried, though. There's always Youtube. :D
  9. Mister Muppet

Mister Muppet Well-Known Member

My favorite electric mayhem songs are
    Can You Picture That
    Barnyard Boogie
    Jingle bell Rock
    Rockin all Around the World (from the muppets at disney world special)
    Tenderly
    Cant take no for a anwser
    Night life
    Cheesecake
    :D:sing::flirt::cool::halo:
  10. MuppetGuy75

MuppetGuy75 Active Member

I love Dr. Teeth & the Electric Mayhem! For me, my all time favorite tracks from them would be "Can You Picture That", "Little St. Nick", "Night Life", and "Rockin' Robin".

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times.... I wish they would release a Greatest Hits album!!! :D:sing::flirt::cool::halo:
    Zoot Fan 1981 and MissMusical12 like this.
  11. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

I've got to go with "Don't Blame The Dynamite", because the lyrics to that song are pretty witty and a bit of departure for them. It's a pretty smart song, and I think it's underrated.
    cjd874 and MissMusical12 like this.
  12. mupcollector1

mupcollector1 Well-Known Member

My favorite is "Love Ya To Death". The lyrics are so violently funny. lol Probably Crazy Harry's favorite too. "I'm gonna explode an Atom Bomb, oh oh," lol It was in the 2nd pilot and it ended up on an episode as well.

Plus I love it when Floyd sang "Sunny" and Animal ruins it. lol

MuppetGuy75 and MissMusical12 like this.
  13. mupcollector1

Another one I liked was "Fugue For Frog (aka new Muppet Show theme that never was)" "Mup-Mup-Muppet SHOW!!!" (loud out of tune trumpets) lol

Kermit: See, I already love that part.
    Floyd: Good 'cause you'll hate the rest.
    lol

And for some reason, not really a Dr. Teeth song but this came to my mind since The Electric mayhem is also a part of the orgastra. The Ending Theme in the Loretty Lynn with Camila on Trumpet. lol I crack up like crazy every time I see that. lol Imagion someone clicked through the channels at the time and discovering the ending theme in that episode, just completely bad out of tuned trumpetts and mellody. lol I love those episodes where it's so messed up from the usual episode, then doing the whole show at a train station. lol
  14. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

"Fugue For Frog" is some pretty out-there jazz sounding stuff. I guess deep down the Mayhem were a progressive rock band being dragged down the Muppet material, lol.
  15. mupcollector1

It sure had a Frank Zappa sound to it. lol "Frog's got no musical taste!" lol
  16. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

All great songs! Yes, the Henson company should have released a Dr. Teeth/EM-only album...I think it would have sold very well. I believe they have enough material for two or three volumes of greatest hits.
    Also, that Muppets poster in your avatar is the same poster that my elementary school music teacher had in her room. Thank you for taking me back to those happy times in my childhood.
  17. Vincent Liu

Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

But then, practically every Muppet should have an album.
  18. MuppetGuy75

MuppetGuy75 Active Member

That's awesome! The avatar isn't a poster it's actually a paper placemat that Hallmark released with it's 1978 Muppet Show Birthday party supplies. I bought a package of them on eBay years ago and paid a fortune for them. I had the Muppet Show centerpiece and several other things as a kid and had to buy all of them back. But yeah, it's one of my favorite pictures! It has all my favorite characters in it! :)
    cjd874 likes this.
  19. mupcollector1

Oh Yes Nightlife from Great Muppet Caper. How could I forget that. For the record, that's my favorite Dr. Teeth song and "Love Ya To Death" is probably my second. I want Disney to release Muppet Movies albums on iTunes so I can put it on my ipod. :) I love that song! That was Joe Raposo who written both of them right?
  20. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

Correct. I never knew Joe wrote so many Muppet Show/movie songs. I am more familiar with his work on Sesame Street (e.g. Being Green, C is for Cookie, Somebody Come and Play, Sing, etc.).
    Nightlife is a great song, but too short for me (only a minute & a half). I wish Jim & the crew recorded a longer version, like 3:00 or so.

I also just remembered the interlude from the song "Happiness Hotel," after Zoot explains why Animal is upset. (He missed the Rembrandt exhibit at the National Gallery! LOL) I know that this song may be a stretch, but the EM did "perform" it for Kermit. Plus, Janice, Zoot, Lips, & Animal all get solos...there aren't many things better than that.