Favorite Sesame Street Books

drmusic_99

Reaction score
I don't really remember the name of it, but does anyone remember something along the lines of "How To Be a Grouch"? It had various tips from Oscar... and the only part I remember specifically was "Coat hangers can be the WORLD'S GROUCHIEST THINGS!" illustrated with Oscar all tangled up in hangers. I also remember the photo on the back cover of Caroll Spinney posing with Oscar.

Another one that I don't remember the title of had Grover posing in the shape of each letter of the alphabet.

sydmommy

Reaction score
I remember when I was kid they had all kinds of different encyclopedia books out there. I used to have the Sesame Street Treasury Collection. I've only got a couple left. Anyone seen any around, or know where I could find any??

sydmommy :stick_out_tongue:

Erine81981

Reaction score
EBay?! Look there u should be able to find the whole set or Goodwill. I work there so I see alot of old SS books from Book Clubs, Libreay, Treasury, Golden Books, Record Books and Tape Books. Lots and lots of SS books come through there. Thats where I find most of eveything of SS or Mupper related. COME ONE COME ALL TO THE GOODWILL STORE: Where u can find anything relating to SS. Its fun to shop there too.

ceecee

Reaction score
DointhePigeon said:
I always liked Don't Forget The Oatmeal from the Sesame Street Book Club in the early 80's. It's the one where :stick_out_tongue: and :frown: go shopping and run into Cookie Monster. After helping Cookie Monster with his shopping, they naturally forget the oatmeal. .
I was a book club member until my mom decided it was getting too expensive. Darn that mom! I remember some including:

The Sesame Street Pet Show
When I'm as Big as Freddie
What Do you Do?

I still have them all at my parent's house.

Also enjoy: Don't Cry Big Bird, Ernie's Big Mess, and The Up and Down Book.

Splurge

Reaction score
drmusic_99 said:
I don't really remember the name of it, but does anyone remember something along the lines of "How To Be a Grouch"? It had various tips from Oscar... and the only part I remember specifically was "Coat hangers can be the WORLD'S GROUCHIEST THINGS!" illustrated with Oscar all tangled up in hangers. I also remember the photo on the back cover of Caroll Spinney posing with Oscar.
Didn't Spinney write that book?

Klonoa

Reaction score
Oh yeah, "The Monster at the End of the Book" is a Golden Book classic. I loved it as a kid, and I can make my little brothers giggle with that book today. It's definitely a 'read together' kind of book. I always liked the page where if you turned it over, Grover got crushed by a ton of bricks! HAH HAH HAHHHHH!

"Grover and the Museum of Everything" was also fun. "Grover's Book of Baby Animals" had some good pictures, too.

I also belonged to that Sesame Street Book Club as a kid. My favorites were "Don't Forget the Oatmeal." I liked it when Cookie ate the whole cookie aisle and got really fat. Also liked "A Day in the Life of Oscar the Grouch." I always wanted to try that banana and anchovy pizza he ate for lunch, and practicing a trombone in the middle of the night sounds like fun. Wonder if they'd let me join the Grouchketeers? That book club also had some neat books with short stories, puzzles, and poems, too. My favorite was one where Cookie Monster tried to make a poem without the word 'cookie.' Those were some great kids books.

--Klonoa

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I've mentioned this one before, but I always loved "Cookie Monster and the Cookie Tree." What a great book! Food has always been my favorite subject, so a cookie tree was a dream come true! I was too young to remember, but I've been told that once I brought that book to my dad and asked him to read it. He sat there and read it to himself, while I stood there patiently waiting for the story to begin. My mom had to explain to my dad that I actually wanted him to read it to me (and that I wasn't just trying to share the literature and broaden his horizons). That story still cracks me up, just thinking about my dad sitting there reading it to himself.

:big_grin: