Favorite Sesame Street Books

Link Hogthrob

Reaction score
drmusic_99 said:
Did Spinney also do the illustrations, or was that Michael K. Frith?
No, Spinney did the illustrations too...somebody mentioned this earlier, but there is a wonderful picture of both Spinney and Oscar popping out of the trashcan on the back cover of the book!

drmusic_99

Reaction score
Link Hogthrob said:
No, Spinney did the illustrations too...somebody mentioned this earlier, but there is a wonderful picture of both Spinney and Oscar popping out of the trashcan on the back cover of the book!
It's funny, but even at that young age I picked up on a little inside joke Spinney sneaked in there... there's a picture of a movie theatre, with the marquee reading "The Grouch that Ate Racine" -- Racine, Wisconsin, of course, being the headquarters of the Western Publishing Company. :smile:

DancingLauren

Reaction score
"Grover Sleeps Over"
"Cookie Monster and the Cookie Tree"
"I Wanna Go Home" (starring Big Bird)

Also the one where Oscar keeps telling everyone to go away. :smile:

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Yay! Another fan of "Cookie Monster and the Cookie Tree!" By the way, DancingLauren, I love your avatar! It's awesome!! :stick_out_tongue: :frown:

wocka woack

Reaction score
DointhePigeon said:
I always liked Don't Forget The Oatmeal from the Sesame Street Book Club in the early 80's. It's the one where :stick_out_tongue: and :frown: go shopping and run into Cookie Monster. After helping Cookie Monster with his shopping, they naturally forget the oatmeal. I know it's around the house somewhere, but it's the one I haven't been able to find. I also liked Alphabet Soup where :stick_out_tongue: and :frown: teach Cookie Monster how to make a healthy alphabet soup. Cookie is so hungry at the end, he gobbles down the whole pot. Anyone else remember the book club?

Edited because my brain is getting fuzzy at the age of 20.
I remember "Don't forget the oatmeal"! It was one of my favorite books! I had almost every book from the Sesame Street Library! One of my favorites was one called All by myself or i can do it or something like that were earnie learned how to do different things like get dressed and tie his shoes all by himself.. What great books!

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Favorite SS book

Definately The Monster at the End of This Book,was my favorite.Actually my brother owned it,I used to go into his room and read it when he went out to play. :halo:

Sunrise

Reaction score
Sesame Street Library

I still have all thirteen volumes of the SS Library. They are one of my most prized possessions. I remember sitting on my bed at the age of four, reading one after the other (yes, FOUR, because SS taught me to read early!). I loved the continuing stories like the "Penelope" series where Bert was Penelope and Ernie kept getting him in and out of all these dangerous situations. Those books were marvelous because they read just like watching an episode of the show - all these short stories, rhymes, illustrations, and one-page "ads" compiled into one book under an overarching theme of a certain letter and number. Now that the format is changed, it's wonderful to go back to these books and remember how they REALLY were - particularly as they are full of the characters and muppets that are no longer on the show. And there is a refreshing lack of a certain little Red Menace with an irritating giggle.

ceecee

Reaction score
I was at my husband's grandma's for Easter this weekend, and she had a bunch of the old Sesame Street Book Club books out for the grandkids. It's so funny because the characters are so outdated. Like Rodeo Rosie. Remember her? She's in "The Sesame Street Pet Show," a favorite of mine from when I was a kid.

Also, does anybody remember a SS cookbook from the late '70's? My mother-in-law got a copy at a thrift store for my husband when he went off to college. It's really cool, with fun and easy recipes for kids. And it shows David and Maria hanging out together.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I love all of the SS books. I have alot (since I work at Goodwill) and I see SS stuff every so oftened. The same as Sunrise I love those SS Library. I love them so much I have all of them too but one of my favorites is "Monster at the end of this book!" That is one of my favorites of all times. I'm glad I have 2 or 3 of the same book just in different years. I'm glad there still making SS golden books. Glad to have learned off of Sesame Street on how to read. Thanks SS for teaching and giving such great books to read as children.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I feel the ultimate SS book experiance is Oscar's How to be a Grouch. Since Spinney did the Illustrations and the writing, it's the closest you'll get to the actual Muppet writing a book. Not much of a plot, but I feel that this is the best SS book ever produced.

I also like, if you count it, Spinney's Autobiography The Wisdom of Big Bird and the Dark Musings of Oscar the Grouch. Never actually read it much, since It was signed.

Been meaning to get another copy!