Female Monsters...They Never Last

abiraniriba

Reaction score
female monsters

you're right there haven't been many female muppet monsters, but if Brian or anybody else at the Muppet Company is ever looking for a personality for one they should check out my wife's mother-in-law. :smile:

BEAR

Reaction score
abiraniriba said:
you're right there haven't been many female muppet monsters, but if Brian or anybody else at the Muppet Company is ever looking for a personality for one they should check out my wife's mother-in-law. :smile:

Also know as your mother, i take it?

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Sherry Netherland was her name. I almost forgot about her, but then again I don't think she was very popular. Probably why she was canned. Pretty forgetable if you ask me.

I think the reason that Sherry Nnetherland is no longer on the show is because, when they downsized the set in 1998 back to the main part of the street and put the focus back on core charceters and muppets alike, and the fact that she ran the Furry Arms Hotel, sense it was no longer there anymore, there was no longer a need for her charecter anymore.

I think at the time, the set was moved to a different set at the same studio.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Erine81981 said:
Yea I only have two episodes the one you mention and "Maria and Luis HoneyMoon" episode. I know she was in others but I wished they would bring back around the corner. That was cool about the Furry Arms. Another Female character. Can't think of her name but the boss of the place.
I think the reason they discontinued this part of the set was because there were to many charecters for children to keep up with. (muppets included) As I mentioned in thr pervious thread, as a result, they put the focous on the core cast member of the street.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
I think at the time, the set was moved to a different set at the same studio.
Yes, that's true. In 1992, they moved from Teletape (which was once a movie theater) to the Kaufman Studios in Queens. Caroll Spinney likes it much better. However, "Around the bend" as they called it, didn't appear until 1993-1994, when they brightened up the set.

You know, I've always wondered if they found someway to move the buildings from set to set, of if they had to build an entirely new set at Kaufman.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
they probably had to take everything down. I can't see how they could of moved those whole things as is.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
Yes, that's true. In 1992, they moved from Teletape (which was once a movie theater) to the Kaufman Studios in Queens. Caroll Spinney likes it much better. However, "Around the bend" as they called it, didn't appear until 1993-1994, when they brightened up the set.

You know, I've always wondered if they found someway to move the buildings from set to set, of if they had to build an entirely new set at Kaufman.
Thats true, But I an refering to the second half of 1998 where within the Kaufman studios they simply removed or rebuilt the set in to a different soundstage ( for example, like they have moved somewhere down the hall like studio G From studio I frogot, lol.)

This is also the time they started airing Elmo's Worls, because Resarch showed that after 45 minutes of programming children were loosing intrest in an hour long show and could not keep up with an hour long plot, and kids would either shop watching or turn to competitors. So elmo's world was created to kind of give kids a boost and wake them up a lettle.

Now mind you, One of the reasons Sesame Street was conceptualised in the first place, was not only so there would be more quality childrens programming out there, but also, the that very programming would be there competition.

Well, this plan worked out very well, and it sort if had a back fireing effect on the show. Because, the is that peirod in SS History where the ratings took a turn for the worst and had a significant dwindle. But hark, alas this was not the end for our dear street, but, new beginning, thus, for the first time in 32 years, the fine people at currently named sesane workshop changed the ovreall format of the show,(for season 33) and as Carrol Spinney(who plays our beloved hero big bird) said in his biorgaphy that the ratings were up higher than the've been in years, approximatly 30 percent to be exact.The rest as they say,is history.

fauby

Reaction score
I'm old enough to remember Pamela Monster...wasn't she the green one? The monsters were always my favs on the show.

JLG

Reaction score
I remember Julitette showing up a lot when I was 6 or 7. I remembered the character well and was surprised when the same puppet showed up a little later as Ingrid.

I always liked Juliette. Maybe she was dropped because they thought it wasn't such a good idea for Telly's neuorses to have constant reenforcement. Interesting how the slot of "Telly's best friend" ended up being filled the confident, ever-chipper Baby Bear.

By the way, when did Natasha first show up? I remember her from when I was three, so she dates from at least '86. I don't remember her ever having parents until Ingrid and Humphrey came along. Was it ever explained just whose baby she was supposed to be? It's like she was everybody's baby the way Barkley was everybody's dog (though when the story called for it he was supposed to be Linda's dog).