Figures broken in packaging

Luke

Reaction score
frogboy4 said:
I think this is a case of a non-collector perspective. I felt the same way in series one, but have been informed since then that action figure industry leader McFarlane has the same issues. It's not about quality, company size or clout. It's about soft plastics and the manufacturing process. All products of this sort go through the same sort of factories in China and have a similar QC method.
Yeah it's very much the non-collector perspective and seeing as the majority of people buying these figures in bricks and mortar stores (esp Target) will be non-collectors then i'd imagine it's going to be the perspective of the majority of consumers. I realise there are some small problems with the more technically advanced processes but then i've also heard Ken talk about all the different factories in China and how some cost more than others, some being better than others, and i seem to remember also being told somewhere that some factories are exclusive to or only take on work from certain companies but that could just be my imagination. I would guess that McFarlane, Playmates and Palisades are all on a similar level in that they all focus on the older collectors but i've rarely heard of problems with the larger companies that produce the kids stuff like Mattel and Hasbro yet i'd expect them with their mega quantities to be the ones who were rushing things on and off the conveyor belt rather than the smaller factories paying more individual attention to the figures.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Once again, you’re comparing hard plastic figures to soft plastic. Different animal. I see your point that some won't get it, but I'm sure Target has McFarlane toys too. There is no correcting the joint issues. They are really not that much of an issue either, but some like to fuss. Such minor things are inherent with this type of product. That's the point. Reiterating my jar of peanut butter speech. LOL!

Luke

Reaction score
Ah ok ok, just got it - hard plastic and soft plastic. Jeez - you need a diploma to work out action figures nowadays don't ya ? Sheesh - bring back the 80's, although Optimus Prime's stickers never stayed sticky and i never had a Skeletor to battle my He-Man !

:zany:

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
What is the difference with hard and soft plastic figures? are the palisades muppets all hard plastic or soft plastic?

Also, I have noticed when you open the packets of the palisades it seems to be a bit moist and kind of steamy, it smells of nice new plastic toys. My Sam still smells a bit like plastic, well maybe that is because he is plastic.

I have said before that the the paint round the joints sometimes wears off a tiny bit, maybe its because the paint hasnt had a chance to air enough, so I will do that before I go moving the joints next time.

from,
Paul :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Ken could better tell you those differences. Most mass marketed toys are hard, non flexible plastic (like the Fisher Price Muppet toys from the 70s or the recent Jack in the Box figures) or static PVC figures (like the Shleich figres of the 80s). Neither have the same flexible quality of Bunsen's jacket or Animal's fur. Palisades layers these different thicknesses of materials to create a better and more realistic sculpture.

The wearing of painted joints is an occurance exclusive to series three. They forgot to dye the disks.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I am very happy with the palisades figures, the wearing of paint on the joints only happened on my chef figure I think. Its almost unnoticable even with a magnifying glass.

towels

Reaction score
It is perhaps unfortunate that the big "brick and mortar" retailer that is going to be the primary source for these figures has evolved such an unfriendly and unhelpful return policy.
:smirk:

Hat Sharpener

Reaction score
Manufacturing Errors

Not being a figure collector, this whole action figure inspection thing is new to me. Plus, I get so excited when finding a new series I tend to overlook little problems... I've learned to look for painting mess-ups, but I do have two figures that have actual manufacturing errors in them, and I'm not really sure if I should contact Palisades or what.

My Zoot seems like his magnet was too thick or something, making the cap that seals it stick up off the top of his head - he looks like a lego brick! Also, my Link's right elbow joint wasn't put together properly - looks like one peg was too big for the hole - so his forarm is splayed out wider than his bicep.

Really these aren't terribly big problems - Zoot wears his hat most of the time, and Link has his cape which covers a lot of his elbow, but I do want to keep this figures for a long time, and it would be nice if they were up to the quality they were designed for.

Do you think I should contact Palisades? Would they be helpful? Or should I just accept the fact that I didn't spot the problems on the blister and live with it? :confused:

- Derek