Financing Issues Frustrate Henson-Valentine Deal

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Financing Issues Frustrate Henson-Valentine Deal
Courtesy of Reuters

Will Miss Piggy be left at the altar?

EM.TV's plan to sell a minority stake of Muppet-maker Jim Henson Co. to a group led by former TV executive Dean Valentine hangs on a number of tenuous financing elements that could delay or undo the deal, people familiar with the matter said on Friday.

The Henson saga has dragged out for more than a decade since the death of founder Jim Henson in 1990. Walt Disney Co. promptly abandoned plans at the time to buy the company that created beloved Muppets Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy and "Sesame Street" characters such as Big Bird.

Embattled German children's programmer EM.TV, which paid the Henson family $680 million for the business in 2000, has been seeking a buyer for more than a year.

Venture capitalist Thomas Unterman, chief executive of Los Angeles-based investment firm Rustic Canyon Group, has been brought in to help finance Valentine's bid with Europlay Capital Advisors, people familiar with the matter say.

Munich-based EM.TV said on Tuesday it had signed a letter of intent with Valentine's group to sell 49.9 percent of Henson's characters and programming library in a deal expected to close in January. Negotiations are proceeding in New York, sources say.

EM.TV is still shopping Henson's special effects business, known as the Creature Shop, sources said.

The deal with Valentine hinges on raising enough money for EM.TV to cover a looming $64 million debt payment. Valentine's group has offered about $30 million for the Henson stake, people familiar with the matter say.

To make up the rest, EM.TV would need to monetize the $70 million owed by Sesame Workshop over the next eight years. Sesame bought its "Sesame Street" characters -- such as Big Bird and Cookie Monster -- from Henson for $180 million last year, paying about $110 million up front.

Sesame Workshop is eager to buy out the debt to save on costly interest charges, but only will do so under favorable terms, sources say. The debt, which is not secured by any Sesame asset, could fetch about $35 million, bankers estimated.

Sesame recently raised money to pay for the deal with Henson by selling its half-stake in children's network Noggin to partner Nickelodeon, which is a unit of media giant Viacom Inc.

EM.TV's loan was scheduled to come due at year's end, but lenders have granted a short extension.

Representatives for Henson, Sesame, Valentine, Unterman and EM.TV could not be reached.

People familiar with the matter said EM.TV has continued talks with other bidders, some of whom also have signed letters of intent, in case Valentine's financing falls through.

Valentine is the former chief executive of United Paramount Network, and he previously ran Disney's Touchstone TV unit. He said he plans to expand the Muppets brand, which has languished under EM.TV. The made-for-TV "It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie" got strong ratings in November, however.

Disney, which last week had been contemplating a $135 million bid for all of Jim Henson Co., including the Sesame debt, has not decided yet whether to proceed, sources say. Disney officials have declined to comment.

Unterman and his $550 million investment fund, which focuses on technology companies, could provide the added backing Valentine needs. Unterman was one of the key brokers behind the Times Mirror's sale of the Los Angeles Times to Tribune Co. He was chief financial officer at Times Mirror.

In addition to Disney and Valentine, three other groups were bidding or considering offers for all or part of Henson. Sources said London-based Entertainment Rights Plc and Los Angeles-based billionaire investor Haim Saban each have signed letters of intent with EM.TV. Privately held Classic Media also has held talks with Henson.

None could immediately be reached.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20021227/media_nm/media_henson_dc_2

Luke

Reaction score
$30 million - sheesh, thats cheap - but then again looks like the deal doesn't include the 'Creature Shop'. I guess it'll go through, all deals like this hang on 'tenuous financial links' - probably a warning shot from EMTV to make Valentines lot hurry up a bit in time for the debt payment. Then again will Disney come and save the the day at the last minute ? It's like the ending of an episode from 'Batman' !

beaker

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this Phil...I think this news wire contains a lot of info a lot of us didnt know. I mean it mentioned Creature Shop and Sesame...hmmm. Ideally I wish ONE company could own everything: JHC, Sesame, Creature Shop, BITBBH, etc.

Muppets1985

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
$30 million - sheesh, thats cheap - but then again looks like the deal doesn't include the 'Creature Shop'.Then again will Disney come and save the the day at the last minute ? It's like the ending of an episode from 'Batman' !
My fealing's are the same on that one Luke...look tho:

**Disney, which last week had been contemplating a $135 million bid for all of Jim Henson Co., including the Sesame debt, has not decided yet whether to proceed, sources say. Disney officials have declined to comment.

In addition to Disney and Valentine, three other groups were bidding or considering offers for all or part of Henson. Sources said London-based Entertainment Rights Plc and Los Angeles-based billionaire investor Haim Saban each have signed letters of intent with EM.TV. Privately held Classic Media also has held talks with Henson.

None could immediately be reached.**

... so is it just me or IS there still a little hope left for disney(the mouse)???
:frown: :frown::smile: :smile: :big_grin:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
See, we need to watch and wait. The Muppets have been bounced around so much with proposed deals for over a decade so I won't believe anything until it's in ink, but I still think - even if it's 20 years from now - that Disney will own the Muppets. It's just a matter of time in my eyes. Not that I'm voting for them - I just think it's likely to happen eventually.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
man, i knew em.tv was in pretty bad shape but having a 60 million dollar debt is like having a shoot me sign on the company.

i feel sorry for henson. its like someone is cutting into every part of them and dividing each part as their own. i honestly don't like having several groups owning just one company. thats not how companies run.

i know companies have money problems, but why in the heck does em.tv have some much in debt? i guess no one can run companies the way like they used to.

ryan

Luke

Reaction score
Personally i don't think theres much hope of Disney just yet - i just think if they were gonna, they would have jumped in by now. EMTV are probably looking to sell off everything else and just co-own the Muppets. Diz isn't exactly gonna be ecstatic about that. I agree with Jamie though, maybe someday our prince will come - tra la la !

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Originally posted by ryhoyarbie
man, i knew em.tv was in pretty bad shape but having a 60 million dollar debt is like having a shoot me sign on the company.

ryan
the sad part is they partially shot themselves, kinda like a company suicide.-Sarah

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Originally posted by Phillip Chapman

EM.TV is still shopping Henson's special effects business, known as the Creature Shop, sources said.

Disney, which last week had been contemplating a $135 million bid for all of Jim Henson Co., including the Sesame debt, has not decided yet whether to proceed, sources say. Disney officials have declined to comment.
[/B]
What, this whole time the Creature Shop has been separately for sell? Bull...

You know what? I don't care what company buys Henson, if you're selling the Muppets you darn well better sell the Creature Shop aka Jim Henson's Creature Shop with it. I mean it's bad enough the rights to the Sesame characters were sold, but then again they were sold to the company that actually produces the show. To me anyway, if you were to break up the company, it'd make more sense to sell the workshops/characters to one company and the pre-2002 programming rights to another company, sorta like the whole Turner-MGM deal of the late 1980s. Of course, I would much rather see the whole Henson operation--workshops, characters, programming at all--be sold to one company.

And as for that Disney part, what that's supposed to mean? Really, tell me I'm kinda slow.

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by ryhoyarbie

i feel sorry for henson. its like someone is cutting into every part of them and dividing each part as their own. i honestly don't like having several groups owning just one company. thats not how companies run.
Because life is 'effed' up. If life was fair: We wouldnt have had Hiroshima, 9/11, the holocaust, African civil wars, war in general, great racial divides, religions that divide people, great strife in the Middle East, AIDs, famine, school bullies, ignorance, Big Tobacco,
kidnappings, drugs, slavery, Oil and Gas worship, etc.

The Muppets are one of the last things that are truly right with this world...and it is a shame that while the giant tentacle Disney not only owns itself but everything from Arizona to Zion...JHC can barely order out for Donuts.

Some dont know this...but the Muppet revolution is truly a global one. It is about unity and hope around the globe, not just American/UK centric folks. Disney only wishes they could do what JHC is doing(and by 'JHC' I mean them, CTW/SW, etc) While Disney is exploiting countless starving familes in factories(If only they had people like Ken personally going down to factories to make sure everything is cool and going great) JHC/CTW is:
Going into war torn Afghanistan developing plans for a Muppet like show for children from Frith and company. They are trying to bring together people in the middle east through joint productions. There is talks of a Northern Ireland show...as well there are countless International Sesame productions now and coming soon. Disney can never lay claim to the sheer delight JHC has brought to people in the last half a century. From Vietnam vets Ive personally talked to who were delighted by the Muppet appearences on the Ed Sullivan show on USO tv during tour of duties...to the recent Kermit and Gonzo appearence at a NY Touys R Us for under privleged kids...Jim Henson's vision burns brighter than the fire of Olympus.

People think Im just some misguided fan...but I know full well
the pen-ultimate goodness that solidifies and unifies us all.
If only the higher ups, execs, and big wigs could lay down their political sparring and realize this.

I'll be ****** if the Muppets will find a fate of obscurity or slow phasing out due to a bad decision. Weve already suffered enough since 1990...and again a decade later with JHC's ill begotten sell to EM.TV. It's time to rise the eff up, and let it be known we want our guys back and bigger than ever. It is what is truly rightous in this world, and while I speak with a fervent zealot tongue...it is because I truly believe it is a right and a given for things to be different than they have been.

It is truly time to til the soil of a new beginning. Maybe EM.TV's 50.1% grasp be lifted, and a true saviour of JHC come forth.
If that is Valentine so be it...but it isnt fair to the fans or to the world what has been going on. I believe new visionary forward thinking leadership and an all out 100% buyout is the only way.