1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Flippersteps in the Sand

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Fan Art' started by TogetherAgain, Mar 30, 2006.

1. froggiegirl18 New Member

ahhh...to repeat what is being said..ah the tadpoles! Oh This is such a good story Lisa! So yeah more please!:)
  2. Xela New Member

Oh, the tadpoles!! The suspence while waiting! It's horrible! I need to know what happens next!

Well, I guess I don't 'need' to know, but I sure would like to.

This is a great story!
  3. theprawncracker Well-Known Member

*runs in frantically* LISA!!! YOU!!! WHA HA HA HA!!! SQUEEEEE!!!!! *faints*

*un-faints* But seriously! WHOA! When you said major altercation I thought...and then I...and WHOA!! This is absolutely, positively, superdedooperly (...Yes I'm still the same insane old Prawnie;)) amazing!!!! The best thing to come out of your head ever!!! ...I mean that...thinking wise...not...you know...

Melinda! Jim! Jerry! Frank! Don! Rowlf! Kermit! Maggie! Too much to name!!! It's all amazing!! Way way way way too cool! I'm so sorry I got here late, stupid computer's still being stupid...(Alright, alright, so I'd already read the first 2 chapters...:halo:)

AMAZING!!! The only word good enough to describe this!! ...Well amazing and, flarberzangahertistinepopo. :D

Peace, keep yourselves fine and laid back and profitable, hehe,
    Ryan
    theprawncracker
  4. The Count Moderator

Huh?!? Ryan?!?
    *Reads AWOL sign... So I take it you're not staying this time either?
    Well... At least let your roomies know you're OK please...
    And if you have the chance, look over the fic One Little Star.
  5. TogetherAgain Well-Known Member

PRAWNIE!!!!!!!!!! <Glomp>

Weren't expecting THIS for a "major altercation," eh? I love it when people can't figure out where I'm going with things. It makes the effect so much more effective. Same insane old Prawnie? Well, I wouldn't expect anything less! And what's this about "already read the first two chapters," hmmmm? ;) And as for flarberzangahertistinepopo... I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. Personally, I'd go more with, azigiviobideedaba. But that's just a matter of opinion, I suppose.
  6. TogetherAgain Well-Known Member

Chapter Seven

The Next Morning
    April 1, 1966

Melinda slowly sat up and listened. It was quiet. She turned and looked at her husband.

Kermit’s face was lined and dark, firmly set in a deep frown. He stared blankly into space. “The storm’s gone,” he said in a hushed voice. “It should be getting light soon. We can go out and… see…” he let the sentence hang, unfinished.

Melinda put her hand on his shoulder. “Kermit, we didn’t have a choice,” she whispered. “There wasn’t anything we could have done. You knew that, Kermit, that’s why you…” her voice faded.

“I knew it then,” he said. “I’m not sure now.”

She took his hand, and they stood up. They slid their arms around each other and slowly walked to the door of the shed. Kermit pushed the door open, and they stepped out.

The grass was scattered with shingles from neighboring houses, twigs and a few leaves blown down from the tree. A few boards of the fence had blown loose as well.

Kermit and Melinda crept to the edge of the small pond, but they didn’t look down. Kermit looked straight ahead, examining the tree. Melinda watched his face. After a moment, he took a deep breath, and looked at her.

“Ready?” she whispered.

They looked down.

The eggs were gone. They had blown away.

Melinda watched the water for a long time, but Kermit looked up at the sky. The sun was starting to rise. The light peeked over the fence, hitting the grass. It gently slipped down to the pond, into the water.

Melinda gasped and pointed. Kermit looked and saw the single egg revealed by the ray of sunlight. He saw a tiny sliver of green slide out through a crack in the egg. He squeezed Melinda closer and smiled.

The tadpole wiggled happily in the ray of light while his parents watched in silence, smiles on their faces.

“What should we call him?” Kermit whispered.

Melinda thought for a moment. “You know we wouldn’t have seen him without the light?” she said. “Let’s call him Ray.”

“Ray,” Kermit said. He nodded. “I like it. Ray.”

`````````````````

Jim Henson listened as the phone at the other end rang for a seventeenth time. He sighed and hung up as a young boy came into the room.

“Good morning, Dad!” he said cheerfully.

Jim smiled wearily. “Morning, Brian,” he said.

The boy came and sat on his lap. “What’s wrong?”

Jim sighed. “I wanted to make sure everyone’s okay after that storm last night. And I’ve called Kermit three times, but he’s not answering.”

Brian’s innocent face looked up at his father. “Maybe he’s at their pond,” he said.

Jim hesitated. “Maybe…” he said softly. “He did say...” He lifted his son off his lap and stood up. “I’ll be back,” he said. “Tell your mother I’m checking on Kermit.” And he walked out the door.

`````````````````

He pulled the car up to the curb, turned it off and got out. He walked swiftly to the fence and pushed the gate open. “Kermit?” he called out.

Kermit looked up from the pond, a smile on his face. “Jim! Come look!” he said happily, and he turned back to the pond. “Come look at our son.”

Jim smiled as his long legs carried him across the grass. He crouched down by the water and spotted the tadpole. “What’s his name?”

“Ray,” Kermit and Melinda both said. They smiled at each other, and watched their son swim.

`````````````````

One Year and Five Months Later
    September 3, 1967

“Look at me, Daddy, look at me!” Ray raced across the grass and jumped into the little pond with a big splash.

Kermit laughed, letting his feet dangle in the water.

Ray swam over to him, jumped out, and shot over to the tree, eager to try to climb it. He was a bright shade of green, filled to the brim with energy. He hopped again and again, reaching for the lowest branch, not caring that it was much too high for him to reach.

Kermit walked over and lifted him up to the branch.

Melinda watched, stretched out in the sun. “Kermit, when are we going to build a house here?” she asked.

“When we can afford it,” he said, watching as Ray reached for another branch. “Careful, Ray,” he said.

Melinda stood up and walked over. “When can we afford it?” She hopped up, grabbed the lowest branch, and swung from it.

“I don’t know,” Kermit said thoughtfully. “In a couple more years, I think.”

Melinda pulled herself up onto the branch and watched her son. “Don’t climb any higher, Ray,” she said.

“Can I go on this branch?” he pointed.

“Sure.” Melinda laid down along the branch. “That’ll be nice,” she sighed. “When we have a house.”

“Mm-hm,” Kermit said. He kissed her cheek.

She scrunched her face up. “Don’t kiss my cheek. Kiss me right,” she said.

He played with her hair, “Okay, I’ll kiss you right,” he said. And he did.

“We’ll have our own room,” she said, thinking about the house again. “And Ray can have his own room, and the kitchen will be its own room, and we’ll have another room just for sitting. And we’ll be able to take two steps in the bathroom without running into the shower or the toilet or that dumb ol’ sink!” She pulled a yellow leaf off the tree. “And Ray can have his own room,” she said. “And we can have a whole bed all to ourselves, because he’ll have his own bed.”

“Catch me, Daddy, catch me!”

Kermit looked up.

“WHEEEEEEE!” Ray hopped right into Kermit’s arms.

Kermit smiled. “Do you want your own bed, Ray?” he said.

“I want a bunk bed!” Ray said.

Melinda laughed. “A bunk bed? But there’s nobody to sleep in the other bunk!”

“I know,” Ray said. “But I want a bunk bed.”

“All right, you can have a bunk bed,” Melinda said.

“When?” Ray asked excitedly.

“As soon as we have a house,” Melinda said.

“Mm-hm,” Kermit said. “As soon as we have a house.”
  7. ReneeLouvier Active Member

ahhhh......I love it Lisa!!!
  8. The Count Moderator

Did I tell you how much I'm happy for Kermit and Melinda and Ray? And Jim and Brian... Good cameos...
    And the frogs wanting a house of their own... In about two more years' time...
    Hmmm, wonder if that'll have anything to do with this street I know of.

*Leaves dragonfly ice cream with Holy Mosquitos.
  9. theprawncracker Well-Known Member

HOLY MOSQUITOES!!!

...Yum, my favorite flavor! ;)

Wowie zowie Lisa! This is amazing! But I just can't help but wondering...About er...a certain lady pig...Hmmm...*thinks deeply* I shant say I word Lisa I promise! *zips lips*

*mumbles something about how awesome and touching this chapter was. Tries to eat holy mosquitoe ice cream but can't get it in mouth.*
  10. The Count Moderator

Well... The mosquitos were more of atopping, like sprinkles... And it was meant for the frogs, but hey, if you like it...

BTW: Either you haven't read the posts above asking the same think about that porcine love of Quinn's... Or you've read ahead in secret, since you're sharing your writing souls.
    Hmmm, whatever happened to that time-travel thingy?
  11. TogetherAgain Well-Known Member

Chapter Eight

Ten Months Later
    July 4, 1968

The field was sprinkled with picnic blankets, some covered with people, some with only two. One blanket, although notably large, was so covered that no one could even see it. That blanket belong to Jim Henson and his family. It was occupied by Jim Henson, his family, his friends, and their families. And like everyone else in the field, their eyes were on the sky, for they were captivated by the fireworks display.

Their children lined the edge of the blanket, commenting on every burst.

“Ooh…”

“Wow!”

“Look at that one…”

“Oooh…”

“Ahhh…”

“How’d they do that?”

“Wow!”

Jim propped himself up on his elbows. “Hm…” He glanced around. “Kermit?”

Kermit turned and looked at him. “Yeah Jim?”

Jim hesitated. “Was thinkin’…”

“Yeah?” Kermit said.

Jim watched the fireworks for a moment. “With this special,” he said. His voice was soft. “Think you’re ready to stop hiding your species?”

Kermit squirmed a little. “Well…”

Jim eyed him carefully. “You’re ready,” he whispered.

Kermit watched the fireworks and nodded.

`````````````````

The Next Day
    July 5, 1968

“We’re home!” Melinda called into the apartment as Ray shot ahead of her. She looked around. “Kermit?”

“In here!” he called.

She turned. He was standing in the bathroom with the door open. Just outside the door was a small white shoebox. His red sweater was haphazardly stuffed into it. Two pod-looking green shoes were on the floor as well. And standing in the bathroom, in front of the sink, were two flippers.

Melinda smiled.

Kermit nervously fidgeted with the pointed collar around his neck. He hadn’t worn it in years.

Melinda stepped into the cramped bathroom, straightened the collar, and put her hands on his shoulders. Their eyes met in the mirror. “I like it,” she whispered. He nodded.

Ray skidded to a stop in front of the bathroom door. “What?” he said.

Melinda bent down and picked him up. “Doesn’t Daddy look nice?” she said.

Ray looked in the mirror and nodded.

Kermit put his arms around them. “We all do,” he said. “The three of us. We look nice together.”

Melinda smiled. “Yes, Kermit,” she said. “We do.”

`````````````````

Four Months Later
    October 31, 1968

Kermit grabbed the phone on the second ring. “Hello?” he said. “Oh, Jimmy! Hi- what? …WHAT? …Congratulations! Yeah, when do they hatch?”

Melinda looked up from her book. “Whose?”

“A month?” Kermit said. “…Of course we’ll come!”

Whose?” Melinda hopped to her feet and was instantly at his side. “Kermit, whose tadpoles?”

“Well congratulations!” Kermit said into the phone. “Yeah, that’s great news!”

“WHO?” Melinda demanded. “Kermit, tell me!”

“Well, we’ll see you then!” Kermit said. “Yeah, take care! Say hi for us. Okay. Bye-bye.” He hung up the phone.

“Who’s having tadpoles?” Melinda asked.

Kermit just smiled. “Jimmy says hi,” he said.

Melinda threw her arms into the air. “Hello, Jimmy! Now tell me, Kermit!”

“I already did,” Kermit said smugly.

“You did not, now tell me!”

“What’s the magic word?” Kermit teased.

She stomped her foot. “Kermit, tell me!”

Kermit smiled. “Ray!” he called out. “Remind your mother what the magic word is. And stop jumping on the bed.”

Ray hopped to the floor. “PLEASE!” he shouted.

“There,” Kermit said. “See, Ray knows the magic word.

Melinda sighed. “Kermit, will you please tell me who is having tadpoles?”

“Jimmy and Leaper,” he said. “In about one month.”

“REALLY?” Melinda said.

Ray got back onto the bed.

“Really!” Kermit said.

“Oh that’s great!” Melinda said.

Then they heard the squeak of springs and simultaneously turned to their son. “RAY!”

Ray stopped jumping. “Sorry.”
  12. theprawncracker Well-Known Member

First off, to answer your question Ed...

"Is coming! Is coming! Got two hands only!" Er...Well actually four...But you get the point...

Anyway, Lisa! WAH HA HA!!! The collar! The picnic! The special! Revealing species!! WHOO! THIS LINE!!!

THAT LINE MADE ME GO SQUA!!! (Whatever that means, and to find out I'll have to consult the Prawnie/Toga dictionary...)

Oh and then the tadpoles!!! THE TADPOOOOOOOLES!! That means Robin!!!

WHOO!! MORE POR FAVOR!!!

(Great now I'm nagging in Spanish...)
  13. The Count Moderator

Sí... Más cuento por favor, hokay?
    Ju knu is was comin, hokay?

Wow... The picnic and looking up at the fireworks on the 4th of July... Sam would be proud of you Lisa.
    And then the special, Hey Cinderella! is it?
    And the three frogs looking like a family should in front of the mirror like that... They need a family photo or portrait or something.
    And the tadpoles... But I know when they're coming, unless you've changed things around from your last hint of his appearance.

Oh man, is a great story here.
  14. redBoobergurl Well-Known Member

Lisa!!!!!!!! I LOVE THIS STORY!!!!!

Oh, sorry for a second but, RYAN!!!! You're here! I miss you! How are you! Come back soon to stay!!!

Ok, sorry Lisa, anyway, I love the last two chapters, Ray, ready to stop hiding your species, Jim and Brian, Jimmy and Leaper having tadpoles, Kermit has a family!!!!!!!!!!

You are simply amazing, I just can't wait for more, please!!!

(How many exclamation points did I just use in this post? Did I get my point across? I love this story!)
  15. TogetherAgain Well-Known Member

Heh, you might wanna watch it with the Spanish nagging, or I'll start striking back with a little German and/or Hebrew. <Giggles.>

And Ed, yes, the special is "Hey, Cinderella!" I was wondering if anyone would figure that out. And um, I won't say what it is exactly that I'm refering to in your post, but you may be a bit more in-tune with this than you realize.

And Beth, to answer your question, you used 37 exclamation points in that post. And yes, I think you got your point across. Glad you're enjoying!
  16. Leyla Member

How about some French nagging? Ecrivez plus vite, s'il vous plait. Vas-y! Vas-y!
    Or perhaps some pig latin? Itewray ormay oonsay easeplay!
    Or even a little Newfoundlandese? Yer story is right some good, b'y. Dat frog family is da cutest ting I saw since we caught little Jimmy rear end up in da dory trying to learn ta fish like his old man.

Hmm... perhaps just english?

Yay! One of the little guys survived! Kermit has such a lovely little family, and soon he'll be a frog publically as well as privately. (I am still very much afraid of their future however.)
  17. Beauregard Well-Known Member

Ok, NOW I know why you have the most readers! And why you were allowed to tempt me with nuggets of this story.

It's...well...it may be the greatest Muppet story ever told.

And the true cannon....

(On a side note about cannon, my dark universe story has re-begun *wink, hint, wink*)

See ya!

Beau
  18. Beauregard Well-Known Member

Forgive my double-postness but...

...TOGA!!! Get back here and get your postingness posting!!!
  19. TogetherAgain Well-Known Member

Chapter Nine

The Next Day
    November 1, 1968

“I’m not sure about this rain, Kermit,” Melinda said as she watched out the cab window.

The driver glanced at her in the rear-view mirror. “I wouldn’t mind the rain, ma’am,” he said. “’Less yer havin’ a picnic.”

“Actually, we were planning on going to the zoo,” Kermit said.

“Well, they got plenty of inside stuff, too,” the driver said.

Ray hopped from side to side on the seat. “We’re gonna see the lions, and the tigers, and the bears, and the oh-my’s, and the hippos, and the elephants, and the giraffes, and-“

The driver glanced at him in the mirror. “You might keep that youngun in one spot,” he said.

Melinda pulled Ray to her side. “Hush,” she said softly.

Ray was quiet for a moment. “Mommy, are we gonna see the lions?” he asked.

“Yes.”

“And the tigers?”

“Yes.”

“And the bears?”

“Yes.”

“And the oh-my’s?””

Melinda laughed. “An ‘oh-my’ isn’t an animal, silly, it’s an expression!”

Ray hesitated. “Daddy?” he said. “What’s a- uh… ex-press-un?”

The stoplight turned green, and the cab sped forward towards Oak Bridge.

“An expression?” Kermit said. “Well, an expression is something people say.”

“Like a word?” Ray asked. He hopped on an impulse.

Lightening struck a tree, which fell across Oak Bridge. The driver slammed on the brakes. The brakes locked. The cab slid right off the wet bridge. Ray fell back to Melinda. She screamed. They crashed onto the rocks below. And then it was noting but black.

`````````````````

Kermit stared up at the floor as the clouds slowly faded from his vision. His head throbbed and his muscles ached, but he was alive. His heart was beating. He tried to remember where he was, and turned to look. But it hurt to move. He held still for a moment, then slowly sat up.

It took a moment for him to realize that the cab was upside down. He stared at the front seat. The driver was gone.

He searched for his voice. “Melinda?” he whispered. “Melinda?” He slowly turned his head.

Her body was sprawled out next to him. Her legs bent towards him, her arms reached away. The awkward angle of her neck jutted her face down into the roof of the car. Her tangled black hair smothered her face from sight.

“Melinda?” Kermit whispered. He put his hand on her head. “My… my darling… Are you all right?”

She didn’t answer.

“Melinda?” he whispered. “My… dear?…” He pushed the hair away from her face.

Her mouth was open, and cut at the corners. Her dark, rich face had turned pale and cold. Her glazed, empty eyes stared vacantly into his. She did not move.

“Me-lin-da?’ his voice cracked. He put his face close to hers. “Meli… Melinda… my love…”

She did not respond.

“Please…”

She was dead.

He pressed his cheek against hers. “I love you, Melinda,” he whispered. “Forever. I will always love you.”

He sat up slowly. There was a ball of green nestled against Her back. He gently lifted it and held it against his stomach. “Ray,” he whispered. “Ray?”

The small frog slowly turned and looked up at his father. He was gasping for breath, crying in pain.

“It’s all right, Ray,” Kermit said. “Daddy’s got you, now, you’re going to be okay.”

Ray put a hand on his father. “I’m sorry, Daddy,” he mumbled.

Kermit shook his head. “It’s okay, Ray,” he choked. “It’s going to be all right. You-you don’t- have to be- sorry.”

Ray kept a steady gaze. He was very still. “Is it because I jumped?” he mumbled.

Kermit shook his head. “No, Ray, it- it’s not your fault,” he stammered. “It’s not your fault, Ray, it- It’s going to be all right.” He kissed his son on the head. “It’ll be all right,” he repeated. “In a couple years, we’re gonna have a house, Ray. And you- you’re gonna have a bunk bed. Your very own bunk bed, Ray...”

Ray stared up at him, barely moving, breathing loudly. He inhaled, exhaled, inhaled, exhaled, inhaled, exhaled… stopped.

Kermit watched him. “Ray… Ray?” He put his right hand on his son’s heart and felt the faint beat. Ba-bum… ba-bum… ba-bum….. ba…bum…

And then there was nothing.

He waited, pressed his hand closer, waited. But there was nothing.

“Ray?” Kermit whimpered. “Ray…” He hugged his son’s body. “It’s okay, Ray, it’s okay. Daddy’s got you, Ray, it’s okay! It’ll be all right, you’re… You’re okay…”

The big round eyes stared up at him, empty. The small frog was completely still.

A salty wet tear fell on the small cheek. Kermit kissed it away. “My Ray,” he whispered. “My little Ray…” He looked down into the small frog’s empty eyes. He lifted his head, looked at the dead body of his wife. “No,” he whispered. “No.”

It was over.
  20. Smiles New Member

GASP! Gaspingness...... so this is the fate of Melinda and Ray? I can't say I didn't see it coming but... but... but... it's just so sad.... and what now?

WHAT NOW???????????????

so sad... so sad.....