Flippersteps in the Sand

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter Eight

Ten Months Later
July 4, 1968

The field was sprinkled with picnic blankets, some covered with people, some with only two. One blanket, although notably large, was so covered that no one could even see it. That blanket belong to Jim Henson and his family. It was occupied by Jim Henson, his family, his friends, and their families. And like everyone else in the field, their eyes were on the sky, for they were captivated by the fireworks display.

Their children lined the edge of the blanket, commenting on every burst.

“Ooh…”

“Wow!”

“Look at that one…”

“Oooh…”

“Ahhh…”

“How’d they do that?”

“Wow!”

Jim propped himself up on his elbows. “Hm…” He glanced around. “Kermit?”

Kermit turned and looked at him. “Yeah Jim?”

Jim hesitated. “Was thinkin’…”

“Yeah?” Kermit said.

Jim watched the fireworks for a moment. “With this special,” he said. His voice was soft. “Think you’re ready to stop hiding your species?”

Kermit squirmed a little. “Well…”

Jim eyed him carefully. “You’re ready,” he whispered.

Kermit watched the fireworks and nodded.

`````````````````​

The Next Day
July 5, 1968

“We’re home!” Melinda called into the apartment as Ray shot ahead of her. She looked around. “Kermit?”

“In here!” he called.

She turned. He was standing in the bathroom with the door open. Just outside the door was a small white shoebox. His red sweater was haphazardly stuffed into it. Two pod-looking green shoes were on the floor as well. And standing in the bathroom, in front of the sink, were two flippers.

Melinda smiled.

Kermit nervously fidgeted with the pointed collar around his neck. He hadn’t worn it in years.

Melinda stepped into the cramped bathroom, straightened the collar, and put her hands on his shoulders. Their eyes met in the mirror. “I like it,” she whispered. He nodded.

Ray skidded to a stop in front of the bathroom door. “What?” he said.

Melinda bent down and picked him up. “Doesn’t Daddy look nice?” she said.

Ray looked in the mirror and nodded.

Kermit put his arms around them. “We all do,” he said. “The three of us. We look nice together.”

Melinda smiled. “Yes, Kermit,” she said. “We do.”

`````````````````

Four Months Later
October 31, 1968

Kermit grabbed the phone on the second ring. “Hello?” he said. “Oh, Jimmy! Hi- what? …WHAT? …Congratulations! Yeah, when do they hatch?”

Melinda looked up from her book. “Whose?”

“A month?” Kermit said. “…Of course we’ll come!”

Whose?” Melinda hopped to her feet and was instantly at his side. “Kermit, whose tadpoles?”

“Well congratulations!” Kermit said into the phone. “Yeah, that’s great news!”

“WHO?” Melinda demanded. “Kermit, tell me!”

“Well, we’ll see you then!” Kermit said. “Yeah, take care! Say hi for us. Okay. Bye-bye.” He hung up the phone.

“Who’s having tadpoles?” Melinda asked.

Kermit just smiled. “Jimmy says hi,” he said.

Melinda threw her arms into the air. “Hello, Jimmy! Now tell me, Kermit!”

“I already did,” Kermit said smugly.

“You did not, now tell me!”

“What’s the magic word?” Kermit teased.

She stomped her foot. “Kermit, tell me!”

Kermit smiled. “Ray!” he called out. “Remind your mother what the magic word is. And stop jumping on the bed.”

Ray hopped to the floor. “PLEASE!” he shouted.

“There,” Kermit said. “See, Ray knows the magic word.

Melinda sighed. “Kermit, will you please tell me who is having tadpoles?”

“Jimmy and Leaper,” he said. “In about one month.”

“REALLY?” Melinda said.

Ray got back onto the bed.

“Really!” Kermit said.

“Oh that’s great!” Melinda said.

Then they heard the squeak of springs and simultaneously turned to their son. “RAY!”

Ray stopped jumping. “Sorry.”

theprawncracker

Reaction score
The Count said:
Hmmm, whatever happened to that time-travel thingy?
First off, to answer your question Ed...

"Is coming! Is coming! Got two hands only!" Er...Well actually four...But you get the point...

Anyway, Lisa! WAH HA HA!!! The collar! The picnic! The special! Revealing species!! WHOO! THIS LINE!!!

If Lisa's the Queen of Fan-fics said:
Kermit put his arms around them. "We all do," he said. "The three of us. We look nice together."

THAT LINE MADE ME GO SQUA!!! (Whatever that means, and to find out I'll have to consult the Prawnie/Toga dictionary...)

Oh and then the tadpoles!!! THE TADPOOOOOOOLES!! That means Robin!!!

WHOO!! MORE POR FAVOR!!!

(Great now I'm nagging in Spanish...)

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Sí... Más cuento por favor, hokay?
Ju knu is was comin, hokay?

Wow... The picnic and looking up at the fireworks on the 4th of July... Sam would be proud of you Lisa.
And then the special, Hey Cinderella! is it?
And the three frogs looking like a family should in front of the mirror like that... They need a family photo or portrait or something.
And the tadpoles... But I know when they're coming, unless you've changed things around from your last hint of his appearance.

Oh man, is a great story here.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Lisa!!!!!!!! I LOVE THIS STORY!!!!!

Oh, sorry for a second but, RYAN!!!! You're here! I miss you! How are you! Come back soon to stay!!!

Ok, sorry Lisa, anyway, I love the last two chapters, Ray, ready to stop hiding your species, Jim and Brian, Jimmy and Leaper having tadpoles, Kermit has a family!!!!!!!!!!

You are simply amazing, I just can't wait for more, please!!!

(How many exclamation points did I just use in this post? Did I get my point across? I love this story!)

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Heh, you might wanna watch it with the Spanish nagging, or I'll start striking back with a little German and/or Hebrew. <Giggles.>

And Ed, yes, the special is "Hey, Cinderella!" I was wondering if anyone would figure that out. And um, I won't say what it is exactly that I'm refering to in your post, but you may be a bit more in-tune with this than you realize.

And Beth, to answer your question, you used 37 exclamation points in that post. And yes, I think you got your point across. Glad you're enjoying!

Leyla

Reaction score
How about some French nagging? Ecrivez plus vite, s'il vous plait. Vas-y! Vas-y!
Or perhaps some pig latin? Itewray ormay oonsay easeplay!
Or even a little Newfoundlandese? Yer story is right some good, b'y. Dat frog family is da cutest ting I saw since we caught little Jimmy rear end up in da dory trying to learn ta fish like his old man.

Hmm... perhaps just english?

Yay! One of the little guys survived! Kermit has such a lovely little family, and soon he'll be a frog publically as well as privately. (I am still very much afraid of their future however.)

Beauregard

Reaction score
Ok, NOW I know why you have the most readers! And why you were allowed to tempt me with nuggets of this story.

It's...well...it may be the greatest Muppet story ever told.

And the true cannon....

(On a side note about cannon, my dark universe story has re-begun *wink, hint, wink*)

See ya!

Beau

Beauregard

Reaction score
Forgive my double-postness but...

...TOGA!!! Get back here and get your postingness posting!!!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter Nine

The Next Day
November 1, 1968

“I’m not sure about this rain, Kermit,” Melinda said as she watched out the cab window.

The driver glanced at her in the rear-view mirror. “I wouldn’t mind the rain, ma’am,” he said. “’Less yer havin’ a picnic.”

“Actually, we were planning on going to the zoo,” Kermit said.

“Well, they got plenty of inside stuff, too,” the driver said.

Ray hopped from side to side on the seat. “We’re gonna see the lions, and the tigers, and the bears, and the oh-my’s, and the hippos, and the elephants, and the giraffes, and-“

The driver glanced at him in the mirror. “You might keep that youngun in one spot,” he said.

Melinda pulled Ray to her side. “Hush,” she said softly.

Ray was quiet for a moment. “Mommy, are we gonna see the lions?” he asked.

“Yes.”

“And the tigers?”

“Yes.”

“And the bears?”

“Yes.”

“And the oh-my’s?””

Melinda laughed. “An ‘oh-my’ isn’t an animal, silly, it’s an expression!”

Ray hesitated. “Daddy?” he said. “What’s a- uh… ex-press-un?”

The stoplight turned green, and the cab sped forward towards Oak Bridge.

“An expression?” Kermit said. “Well, an expression is something people say.”

“Like a word?” Ray asked. He hopped on an impulse.

Lightening struck a tree, which fell across Oak Bridge. The driver slammed on the brakes. The brakes locked. The cab slid right off the wet bridge. Ray fell back to Melinda. She screamed. They crashed onto the rocks below. And then it was noting but black.

`````````````````​

Kermit stared up at the floor as the clouds slowly faded from his vision. His head throbbed and his muscles ached, but he was alive. His heart was beating. He tried to remember where he was, and turned to look. But it hurt to move. He held still for a moment, then slowly sat up.

It took a moment for him to realize that the cab was upside down. He stared at the front seat. The driver was gone.

He searched for his voice. “Melinda?” he whispered. “Melinda?” He slowly turned his head.

Her body was sprawled out next to him. Her legs bent towards him, her arms reached away. The awkward angle of her neck jutted her face down into the roof of the car. Her tangled black hair smothered her face from sight.

“Melinda?” Kermit whispered. He put his hand on her head. “My… my darling… Are you all right?”

She didn’t answer.

“Melinda?” he whispered. “My… dear?…” He pushed the hair away from her face.

Her mouth was open, and cut at the corners. Her dark, rich face had turned pale and cold. Her glazed, empty eyes stared vacantly into his. She did not move.

“Me-lin-da?’ his voice cracked. He put his face close to hers. “Meli… Melinda… my love…”

She did not respond.

“Please…”

She was dead.

He pressed his cheek against hers. “I love you, Melinda,” he whispered. “Forever. I will always love you.”

He sat up slowly. There was a ball of green nestled against Her back. He gently lifted it and held it against his stomach. “Ray,” he whispered. “Ray?”

The small frog slowly turned and looked up at his father. He was gasping for breath, crying in pain.

“It’s all right, Ray,” Kermit said. “Daddy’s got you, now, you’re going to be okay.”

Ray put a hand on his father. “I’m sorry, Daddy,” he mumbled.

Kermit shook his head. “It’s okay, Ray,” he choked. “It’s going to be all right. You-you don’t- have to be- sorry.”

Ray kept a steady gaze. He was very still. “Is it because I jumped?” he mumbled.

Kermit shook his head. “No, Ray, it- it’s not your fault,” he stammered. “It’s not your fault, Ray, it- It’s going to be all right.” He kissed his son on the head. “It’ll be all right,” he repeated. “In a couple years, we’re gonna have a house, Ray. And you- you’re gonna have a bunk bed. Your very own bunk bed, Ray...”

Ray stared up at him, barely moving, breathing loudly. He inhaled, exhaled, inhaled, exhaled, inhaled, exhaled… stopped.

Kermit watched him. “Ray… Ray?” He put his right hand on his son’s heart and felt the faint beat. Ba-bum… ba-bum… ba-bum….. ba…bum…

And then there was nothing.

He waited, pressed his hand closer, waited. But there was nothing.

“Ray?” Kermit whimpered. “Ray…” He hugged his son’s body. “It’s okay, Ray, it’s okay. Daddy’s got you, Ray, it’s okay! It’ll be all right, you’re… You’re okay…”

The big round eyes stared up at him, empty. The small frog was completely still.

A salty wet tear fell on the small cheek. Kermit kissed it away. “My Ray,” he whispered. “My little Ray…” He looked down into the small frog’s empty eyes. He lifted his head, looked at the dead body of his wife. “No,” he whispered. “No.”

It was over.

Smiles

Reaction score
GASP! Gaspingness...... so this is the fate of Melinda and Ray? I can't say I didn't see it coming but... but... but... it's just so sad.... and what now?

WHAT NOW???????????????

so sad... so sad.....