Flippersteps in the Sand

froggiegirl18

Reaction score
ahhh...to repeat what is being said..ah the tadpoles! Oh This is such a good story Lisa! So yeah more please!:smile:

Xela

Reaction score
Oh, the tadpoles!! The suspence while waiting! It's horrible! I need to know what happens next!

Well, I guess I don't 'need' to know, but I sure would like to.

This is a great story!

theprawncracker

Reaction score
*runs in frantically* LISA!!! YOU!!! WHA HA HA HA!!! SQUEEEEE!!!!! *faints*

*un-faints* But seriously! WHOA! When you said major altercation I thought...and then I...and WHOA!! This is absolutely, positively, superdedooperly (...Yes I'm still the same insane old Prawnie:wink:) amazing!!!! The best thing to come out of your head ever!!! ...I mean that...thinking wise...not...you know...

Melinda! Jim! Jerry! Frank! Don! Rowlf! Kermit! Maggie! Too much to name!!! It's all amazing!! Way way way way too cool! I'm so sorry I got here late, stupid computer's still being stupid...(Alright, alright, so I'd already read the first 2 chapters...:halo:)

AMAZING!!! The only word good enough to describe this!! ...Well amazing and, flarberzangahertistinepopo. :big_grin:

Peace, keep yourselves fine and laid back and profitable, hehe,
Ryan
theprawncracker

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Huh?!? Ryan?!?
*Reads AWOL sign... So I take it you're not staying this time either?
Well... At least let your roomies know you're OK please...
And if you have the chance, look over the fic One Little Star.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
PRAWNIE!!!!!!!!!! <Glomp>

Weren't expecting THIS for a "major altercation," eh? I love it when people can't figure out where I'm going with things. It makes the effect so much more effective. Same insane old Prawnie? Well, I wouldn't expect anything less! And what's this about "already read the first two chapters," hmmmm? :wink: And as for flarberzangahertistinepopo... I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. Personally, I'd go more with, azigiviobideedaba. But that's just a matter of opinion, I suppose.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter Seven

The Next Morning
April 1, 1966

Melinda slowly sat up and listened. It was quiet. She turned and looked at her husband.

Kermit’s face was lined and dark, firmly set in a deep frown. He stared blankly into space. “The storm’s gone,” he said in a hushed voice. “It should be getting light soon. We can go out and… see…” he let the sentence hang, unfinished.

Melinda put her hand on his shoulder. “Kermit, we didn’t have a choice,” she whispered. “There wasn’t anything we could have done. You knew that, Kermit, that’s why you…” her voice faded.

“I knew it then,” he said. “I’m not sure now.”

She took his hand, and they stood up. They slid their arms around each other and slowly walked to the door of the shed. Kermit pushed the door open, and they stepped out.

The grass was scattered with shingles from neighboring houses, twigs and a few leaves blown down from the tree. A few boards of the fence had blown loose as well.

Kermit and Melinda crept to the edge of the small pond, but they didn’t look down. Kermit looked straight ahead, examining the tree. Melinda watched his face. After a moment, he took a deep breath, and looked at her.

“Ready?” she whispered.

They looked down.

The eggs were gone. They had blown away.

Melinda watched the water for a long time, but Kermit looked up at the sky. The sun was starting to rise. The light peeked over the fence, hitting the grass. It gently slipped down to the pond, into the water.

Melinda gasped and pointed. Kermit looked and saw the single egg revealed by the ray of sunlight. He saw a tiny sliver of green slide out through a crack in the egg. He squeezed Melinda closer and smiled.

The tadpole wiggled happily in the ray of light while his parents watched in silence, smiles on their faces.

“What should we call him?” Kermit whispered.

Melinda thought for a moment. “You know we wouldn’t have seen him without the light?” she said. “Let’s call him Ray.”

“Ray,” Kermit said. He nodded. “I like it. Ray.”

`````````````````​

Jim Henson listened as the phone at the other end rang for a seventeenth time. He sighed and hung up as a young boy came into the room.

“Good morning, Dad!” he said cheerfully.

Jim smiled wearily. “Morning, Brian,” he said.

The boy came and sat on his lap. “What’s wrong?”

Jim sighed. “I wanted to make sure everyone’s okay after that storm last night. And I’ve called Kermit three times, but he’s not answering.”

Brian’s innocent face looked up at his father. “Maybe he’s at their pond,” he said.

Jim hesitated. “Maybe…” he said softly. “He did say...” He lifted his son off his lap and stood up. “I’ll be back,” he said. “Tell your mother I’m checking on Kermit.” And he walked out the door.

`````````````````​

He pulled the car up to the curb, turned it off and got out. He walked swiftly to the fence and pushed the gate open. “Kermit?” he called out.

Kermit looked up from the pond, a smile on his face. “Jim! Come look!” he said happily, and he turned back to the pond. “Come look at our son.”

Jim smiled as his long legs carried him across the grass. He crouched down by the water and spotted the tadpole. “What’s his name?”

“Ray,” Kermit and Melinda both said. They smiled at each other, and watched their son swim.

`````````````````​

One Year and Five Months Later
September 3, 1967

“Look at me, Daddy, look at me!” Ray raced across the grass and jumped into the little pond with a big splash.

Kermit laughed, letting his feet dangle in the water.

Ray swam over to him, jumped out, and shot over to the tree, eager to try to climb it. He was a bright shade of green, filled to the brim with energy. He hopped again and again, reaching for the lowest branch, not caring that it was much too high for him to reach.

Kermit walked over and lifted him up to the branch.

Melinda watched, stretched out in the sun. “Kermit, when are we going to build a house here?” she asked.

“When we can afford it,” he said, watching as Ray reached for another branch. “Careful, Ray,” he said.

Melinda stood up and walked over. “When can we afford it?” She hopped up, grabbed the lowest branch, and swung from it.

“I don’t know,” Kermit said thoughtfully. “In a couple more years, I think.”

Melinda pulled herself up onto the branch and watched her son. “Don’t climb any higher, Ray,” she said.

“Can I go on this branch?” he pointed.

“Sure.” Melinda laid down along the branch. “That’ll be nice,” she sighed. “When we have a house.”

“Mm-hm,” Kermit said. He kissed her cheek.

She scrunched her face up. “Don’t kiss my cheek. Kiss me right,” she said.

He played with her hair, “Okay, I’ll kiss you right,” he said. And he did.

“We’ll have our own room,” she said, thinking about the house again. “And Ray can have his own room, and the kitchen will be its own room, and we’ll have another room just for sitting. And we’ll be able to take two steps in the bathroom without running into the shower or the toilet or that dumb ol’ sink!” She pulled a yellow leaf off the tree. “And Ray can have his own room,” she said. “And we can have a whole bed all to ourselves, because he’ll have his own bed.”

“Catch me, Daddy, catch me!”

Kermit looked up.

“WHEEEEEEE!” Ray hopped right into Kermit’s arms.

Kermit smiled. “Do you want your own bed, Ray?” he said.

“I want a bunk bed!” Ray said.

Melinda laughed. “A bunk bed? But there’s nobody to sleep in the other bunk!”

“I know,” Ray said. “But I want a bunk bed.”

“All right, you can have a bunk bed,” Melinda said.

“When?” Ray asked excitedly.

“As soon as we have a house,” Melinda said.

“Mm-hm,” Kermit said. “As soon as we have a house.”

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Did I tell you how much I'm happy for Kermit and Melinda and Ray? And Jim and Brian... Good cameos...
And the frogs wanting a house of their own... In about two more years' time...
Hmmm, wonder if that'll have anything to do with this street I know of.

*Leaves dragonfly ice cream with Holy Mosquitos.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
HOLY MOSQUITOES!!!

...Yum, my favorite flavor! :wink:

Wowie zowie Lisa! This is amazing! But I just can't help but wondering...About er...a certain lady pig...Hmmm...*thinks deeply* I shant say I word Lisa I promise! *zips lips*

*mumbles something about how awesome and touching this chapter was. Tries to eat holy mosquitoe ice cream but can't get it in mouth.*

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... The mosquitos were more of atopping, like sprinkles... And it was meant for the frogs, but hey, if you like it...

BTW: Either you haven't read the posts above asking the same think about that porcine love of Quinn's... Or you've read ahead in secret, since you're sharing your writing souls.
Hmmm, whatever happened to that time-travel thingy?