Follow That Bird Discussion Thread

Censored

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Yeah, but Luis had a Fix-It Shop to tend to. I just assume it was Bob since he is the one who is seen (Along with Telly and Grover) cleaning up the store the night that Big Bird is announced on the news as a runaway. Bob was sort of the leader of the adventure in that he planned the routes and all. They were always told to call Hooper's Store with any problems or updates and it was Bob that was on the phone. So I just guessed he was tending the store. He was also Mr. Hooper's best friend.

Well, in that era, David ran the store, but since he wasn't in the movie, it seemed a little vague as to who was actually minding the store. David really should have been in the movie since his presence at Hooper's store was part of the expected structure on Sesame Street.

I've also wondered how they decided which humans in the movie would stay home and which ones would go look for Big Bird. I've always found it curious that Gordon and Olivia went to find him instead of Gordon and Susan. I'd love to know more behind the scenes facts about the picture.

BEAR

Reaction score
I thought it was good that they sent Olivia with Gordon. I think that Olivia is a good vehicle for music and she was perfect to sing "One Little Star".

minor muppetz

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
I've also wondered how they decided which humans in the movie would stay home and which ones would go look for Big Bird. I've always found it curious that Gordon and Olivia went to find him instead of Gordon and Susan. I'd love to know more behind the scenes facts about the picture.
Although it is never specifically mentioned what season this movie takes place in, it looks like it took place durign the summer. If that is the case, then Gordon would have been off from work (since he is a high school teacher) but Susan might have had to work.

AAO

Reaction score
Y'know....the series should have somehow brought the movie to intertwine leading up to the film...

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
Well, in that era, David ran the store, but since he wasn't in the movie, it seemed a little vague as to who was actually minding the store. David really should have been in the movie since his presence at Hooper's store was part of the expected structure on Sesame Street.

I've wondered about that too. The time I saw it, I didn't know that Olivia was Gordon's sister. I was worried that he was cheating on Susan. Lol.

BEAR

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
I've wondered about that too. The time I saw it, I didn't know that Olivia was Gordon's sister. I was worried that he was cheating on Susan. Lol.

Gordon does call her "sis" a couple times in the film. Plus, they always acted like brother and sister the way they would bicker and tease.

AAO

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the series had a small story leading up to the film?

Convincing John

Reaction score
Gordon's pants

BEAR said:
Gordon does call her "sis" a couple times in the film. Plus, they always acted like brother and sister the way they would bicker and tease.
Yeah, and don't forget where Olivia rips Gordon's pants! It really happens! Look for it where Gordon is climbing out of the hole in the roof of the VW.

Gordon: "Now just pull up behind the truck..."
Olivia: "Pull up behind the truck..."
Gordon: "And stay right with it..." (Gordon starts to climb up through the roof)
Olivia: "Gordon! What are doing? Are you NUTS? Get back in here! GORDON!!!"

Now when Olivia yells 'Get back in here', she grabs Gordon's pants pocket, and you can hear this 'rrr--rrip!' right before they cut to a shot of Gordon sitting on top of the car. Look for it!

I love this movie, too. One of my favorite parts is the "toss salad" in the grouch diner. You can hear one grouch at the very end of the scene yell "Where's my Jell-ooooohhhhh?" A coincidence between this and another film that was popular in 1985 can be found in this post here. Don't know if it was intentional or not...you be the judge:

http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showpost.php?p=269348&postcount=1

And also, someone mentioned John Candy's role in the film earlier. There's a piece of artwork I created that features him as a security guard. The upper half of his uniform was inspired by the security guard role from "National Lampoon's Vacation", and his slacks and shoes were ones based off of his trooper uniform from "Follow That Bird". You can see the photo at this link:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v260/...ball Gilda/?action=view&current=JohnCandy.jpg

The artwork containing John Candy (and many other celebrities) is now on permanent display at the Gilda's Club Desert Cities in California.

But back to FTB, yeah, what a great movie! And with just the right amount of Elmo, too...

Convincing John

AAO

Reaction score
That was a great pic of John Candy! Though his role is small, it's great to see 3 stars of SCTV together again....LOL!