1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Frank Oz: "New Muppets Too Cute"

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Beauregard, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

Wow and I thought I was bad! Lol! Yeah in my teens I thought I was too good for The Muppets. I sold my Muppet babies when my parents had a yard sale I was so sure I didn't want them anymore. Oh how I regret that decision now! :cry:
  2. Pinkflower7783

Umm...copyright issues have more to do with that. So I don't totally put Disney at fault for that.
    Duke Remington likes this.
  3. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Melissa has a point... the last we heard anything, the release of Season Four was delayed to tie-in with the movie (after it was supposed to be released 2010)... well, the movie's been out in theaters, is currently out on DVD and blu-ray, so where's Season Four on DVD?
    dwmckim likes this.
  4. Pinkflower7783

No there's no proof of it but it wasn't a risk that would've been worth taking by just putting out some random Muppet movie IMO. The film served the purpose that it wanted to do and that was relaunch the franchise and get The Muppets back to where they belong. I can't tell you how thrilling it is to see kids in stores now when there is Muppet stuff on the shelf and they know who Kermit is. To me that shows the movie did it's job. A whole new generation NOW KNOWS who The Muppets are.

And now that the serious movie is out of the way now we can look forward to the fun filled Muppet comedy films we all know and love.
    LouisTheOtter and Duke Remington like this.
  5. Pinkflower7783

Who knows the issues on that front. Frankly I am still holding faith the remaining two will see a DVD release but yeah as much as I hate to admit I think Dr. Tooth was right in saying that's more then likely not happening anytime soon if any.

Besides seems like Disney is focused on the blu-ray/combo of MCC release coming in Nov.
  6. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Active Member

I agree. Melissa's point on the whole "Typical Disney took the safe route" is completely moot.

The had to make the movie we got in order for the franchise to get relaunched.
    LouisTheOtter likes this.
  7. Duke Remington

(sigh) If only someone here would get the hint and contact The Muppets Studio and/or talk to Lyelle Brier to find out the official reason for the hold-up, like they did during the two-year gap between the Season 1 and Season 2 sets! :mad: :( :cry:
  8. Pinkflower7783

I wouldn't say Melissa's point is moot. And I'm not even saying her reasonings are wrong. I was just saying in my personal opinion of why JASON NOT DISNEY took the nostialigic root and not just a new random Muppet movie. Just because I don't fully agree with Melissa's views on the film doesn't mean she's wrong. I do agree with her point on the TMS but I still don't feel Disney is totally at fault for not releasing the remaining two seasons.
  9. MelissaY1

MelissaY1 Well-Known Member

I'm not saying Disney's completely at fault for the Muppet Show holdup. I know a lot of things get shuffled around with DVD releases: I work in the industry, and things are constantly being re-marketed, there's the possible copyright issue like Pinkflower said. I just was real surprised that if Disney really wanted to support and push the Muppets as a franchise, that they didn't push for these releases to coincide with either the movie coming out in theaters, or when it came to DVD.
    Pinkflower7783 likes this.
  10. MelissaY1

Thank you. I don't think anyone's point here is "moot" or illogical. We all have different opinions, and that's fine.
  11. Reevz1977

Reevz1977 Well-Known Member

Watching the video back (again), I think Frank came across as remarkably amiable. He was also very diplomatic on his response on his thoughts on "The Muppets", when he really could have been mean. I think whats important to reiterate and remember, this guy had almost as much involvement in the creation of the Muppets as Jim Henson. You only have to watch any interview with Jim where he talks about Frank and gives him most of the credit. I personally feel whatever Frank says with regards to the Muppets is inherently right. These characters where born from his and Jim's imagination. The successors who have taken on these characters, and done a bloody good job(!!!) have had to "interpret" Franks and Jims characters which is VERY different from creating them. Think about it, the Muppets weren't really cute...at all. Even down to their "shabby" appearance.

I'll agree with everyone that says that Disney did a great job with "The Muppets"...they did. The box office, the reviews, everything cannot be disputed - whether it was everyones taste is down to personal preference really. I doubt there's ever been a universally loved movie ever created (Ghostbusters has GOT to come close ;) ). BUT the Muppets need to take a step closer to their origins. I want to see them blowing each other up, I want to see the cartoonesque violence, I want to see more of the (relatively) close to the knuckle humour - can no-one remember Statler and Waldorf taking a machine gun and shooting at all the Muppets after the "Why can't we be friends?" number? Thats the Muppets I remember and want to see again. The completely barmy, irreverent, non-sensicle, undiluted, crazy bunch of characters the world fell in love with. Do I think Disney could deliver that vision...who knows, as shareholders have a huge influence and a reputation for conservative entertainment...exactly the opposite of Frank and Jim's Muppets in my humble opinion.
  12. MelissaY1

Well said Reevz. You pretty much have hit the nail on the head and probably expressed better what I've been trying to say in my last several posts.
  13. Duke Remington

Actually, they have. Watch things like the viral or Disney XD videos (Bohemian Rhapsody, Stand By Me, etc.)--those things heavily feature classic Muppet-style eatings, explosions, violence, etc.

That does not mean Frank is always right! :mad:

And, no, the Muppets were not "cute" in the new movie anyway!
    DrDientes likes this.
  14. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I realized something. As much as I'm disappointed but completely understand what Frank said, Frank said it with a lot of dignity... but most of all, at least his refusal to work on the film Didn't hold up production on it for the past decade, like SOME people. Seriously... just make the third one Animated, and get the cartoon voice actors back.

I bet the Chef sequence would have qualified if used. They certainly have that humor in the virals... but the thing that bugs me is that at some point, someone (Kirk or Jim) said something about explosions, and the characters obsessed with them aren't funny in our modewrn world.

But a little buddy of mine kinda disagrees with that.

[​IMG]

He LOVES to blow crap up. He actually makes Crazy harry look sane.
  15. Pinkflower7783

Just because it's Frank Oz doesn't mean he's always right. However like I've said I respect the man even more in this interview if that makes any sense. And I'm not saying he's wrong in this interview I just don't fully agree with it.

When I first saw this film cute wasn't going through my mind at all. Just thank god their back!!!!
  16. Reevz1977

Very much agree!

Very much disagree :) I see it as this - if I were to write a story with no ending, and someone were to chose to write the ending whilst I was still around and I said "no, thats not how it would end", would that make me, as the creator and originator wrong? If Frank came back on board with the Muppets, made Fozzie pink, have an afro, three eyes and a beard and rap all his dialogue, I would be perfectly cool with that because he created Fozzie*

*If you ever read this Frank, PLEASE do not do this...in-fact I'll copyright the idea just so NOBODY can do that!
  17. Pinkflower7783

Yeah but just because he's right doesn't mean everyone has to agree with it. BIG difference.
    Duke Remington and Reevz1977 like this.
  18. Reevz1977

Now THATS right!!!:)
  19. Pinkflower7783

And in this case while I see Franks issues with the film I'm gonna have to fully disagree with him on the latest film. Sorry Frankie!!! Not that the probably cares what we think anyways. Lol! I just did not think the Muppets had any cuteness in this film at all. If you wanna get into cute. LTS had cute written all over it!!! Now if he'd said that was cute Id fully agree with him on that!
  20. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Two Words... George Lucas.

That is all.