Fun, Fun, Fun for Everyone

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
As far as books go, I've always prefered Non-fiction. That made it very difficult for me as a child, all they seem to make for kids is fiction.

dabauckham

Reaction score
Kurt Vonnegut (RIP),
I heard about this, this morning....:cry: Apparently, Vonnegut, at 83, died of complications from a fall...

Vonnegut was an amazing writer and brilliant satirist. It's really sad that his dry wit won't be featured in anything new. But at least he has a zillion already published books to read and discover. :halo:

Not to get too political, but one of the last things Vonnegut did was to voice his disapproval for the Iraq War... he always dealt with things on a very personal, moral level. Now he's gone. So it goes...

dabauckham

Reaction score
As far as books go, I've always prefered Non-fiction. That made it very difficult for me as a child, all they seem to make for kids is fiction.
There is some high-quality non-fiction, but I agree that it's much harder to find - of course, DK makes awesome non-fiction books on almost any subject, and I really like those. But yeah, we always hear about "Children's Lit." courses, because there is such a canon of literature. It's interesting...

I actually have quite a wide taste in reading. I enjoy anything from a good graphic novel (Sandman is AWESOME), to a kid's book, to memoirs, to you name it.

Oh, and Kiki, thanks for being so welcoming! You're a great thread host. :big_grin:

Skye

Reaction score
I know that I've always adored non-fiction books, too. Much more interesting and fun to read, in my opinion!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah when I was a kid, everyone was frustrated that I didn't like to read. Well, I didn't like to read stories about fictional penguins etc. But I ran straight to books about how a movie was made and memorized them!

Not that I'm entirely proud of that. I do wish I'd read more. It helps with your vocabularly and writing skills. :smile:

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I know that I've always adored non-fiction books, too. Much more interesting and fun to read, in my opinion!
Yeah, I just finished re-reading Peter Guralnick's groundbreaking two-volume Elvis biography, Last Train to Memphis and Careless Love. Within the last month, I've read a bio about Charles Lindbergh, two books on Howard Hughes, the making of Hitchcock's Vertigo, and the autobiography of Charlie Chaplin.

Even as a kid I would gravitate to the non-fiction section of the library, mostly for monster books. I loved (still do) the classic Universal monsters, would take out books about them during the week, then watch the movies on Saturday afternoons.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I sometimes read books on the Loch Ness monster, UFOs, ghosts etc. Even if they're not all true, it's fun to read about and indulge your imagination!

Kiki

Reaction score
Ha, that reminds me of something that I'm sure Kiki-Kramer remembers as well...

ELAINE: (Talking about her new friends) They READ Jerry! They READ!
JERRY: I read!
ELAINE: BOOKS, Jerry!
JERRY: ... Oh.
Haha! I remember that!! That show's classic. :big_grin:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Yeah, I just finished re-reading Peter Guralnick's groundbreaking two-volume Elvis biography, Last Train to Memphis
I've read that, too!:smile:

I forgot how much I like fiction. Especally if it's for children. But it reallt takes a lot for me really enjoy reading a fiction book. But it doesn't take as much for me to really get into non-fiction, though. But I really enjoyed The time michine. That really gets my imagianation going.:big_grin:

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I sometimes read books on the Loch Ness monster, UFOs, ghosts etc. Even if they're not all true, it's fun to read about and indulge your imagination!
I would devour anything on the supernatural, too, especially ghost stories, and supposedly "true" ghost stories. The phantom hitchhiker was always one of my favorites.

Every Halloween, I check the Discovery or Travel Channels. They often have specials on haunted locations around the world. Haunted houses, haunted hotels, haunted cemetaries...it's all good stuff! I especially enjoy these shows when they concentrate on New England ghostly sightings...:eek: