Future Dr. Seuss Films

Drtooth

Reaction score
What were we talking about? :confused:
Oh yeah, Seuss books as movies. Waiting for Halloween is Grinch's Night, cause making cartoon specials into full-length films is cool too. Case in point, 2012's Frankenweenie. *Waiting for Vincent to get the same treatment next, along with if there'll be a Beetlejuice 2)./quote]

I really like Halloween is Grinch Night, but I feel the special had a few lost opportunities here and there. A film version that can expand and improve on the story would be pretty awesome. I'd really like them to set it up as a prequel, as I consider it one. I see it as Halloween is Grinch Night (where he's still nasty by the end), How the Grinch Saved Christmas, then The Grinch Grinches the Cat in the Hat (he was reformed at the beginning, remember).

That said, I'd probably take The Lorax over both Live action adaptions any day. I did kinda like The Grinch (it has some moments and a few pretty interesting alternate character interpretations... you have to give it that much), but I refuse to see any more of The Cat in the Hat. They really really shouldn't have done that one. Let's leave it at that.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Just make Seussical into a movie! It has its story already planned out, and stays true to the spirit of the Dr. Seuss books.

snichols1973

Reaction score
Ten Apples Up On Top! Dr. Suess wrote it under the name Theo LeSieg and it was illustrated by Roy McKie.

LeSieg = "Geisel" spelled backwards.

Another of Dr. Seuss's stories that I'd like to see made into a film someday: The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins, where Bartholomew has a bit of a problem when it comes to taking off his hat: a new one appears in its place, and the King tries various means and methods to take care of the problem, and "neither Bartholomew Cubbins, nor King Derwin himself, nor anyone else in the Kingdom of Didd could explain how the strange thing had happened; they could only say it just 'happened to happen' and was not very likely to happen again."

AquaGGR

Reaction score
It would make more sense to make the books into short films instead of full-length feature films. When they're put into feature films, lots of padding/filler is added. (not to mention the annoying animal-sidekick that's not even in the source material)

Princeton

Reaction score
It would make more sense to make the books into short films instead of full-length feature films. When they're put into feature films, lots of padding/filler is added. (not to mention the annoying animal-sidekick that's not even in the source material)
The only Seuss film to have sidekicks was Horton Hears a Who, and even those characters had minimum involvement in the story.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
I meant that movie versions of children's books seem to add unnecessary characters to the film (or maybe that's just me).

Drtooth

Reaction score
Just make Seussical into a movie! It has its story already planned out, and stays true to the spirit of the Dr. Seuss books.
Except Seussical had just as poor a reception as the films. It's not really that great, and they already had a Horton film.
I meant that movie versions of children's books seem to add unnecessary characters to the film (or maybe that's just me).
I never saw why they needed to make movies out of children's short form storybooks. You have to add new characters and expand the plot. It takes basically 10 minutes to read these things half the time. How is that going to work out for 90 minutes?

Even the classic Chuck Jones Grinch cartoon padded the original story... but in such a way that the special is better remembered. With Looney Tunes style animation gags and that great Grinch song. You look at something like Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, and they pretty much kept the food falling from the sky bit in tact, but turned it into an entirely different story.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Except Seussical had just as poor a reception as the films. It's not really that great, and they already had a Horton film.

I never saw why they needed to make movies out of children's short form storybooks. You have to add new characters and expand the plot. It takes basically 10 minutes to read these things half the time. How is that going to work out for 90 minutes?

Even the classic Chuck Jones Grinch cartoon padded the original story... but in such a way that the special is better remembered. With Looney Tunes style animation gags and that great Grinch song. You look at something like Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, and they pretty much kept the food falling from the sky bit in tact, but turned it into an entirely different story.
True, but what would be the difference between that and making a new Cat in the Hat movie?

Drtooth

Reaction score
You're right there... it's pretty much going to suck no matter what.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Yeah, but I'd really like Seussical as a movie myself. I really enjoyed it when I saw my high school's production of it, and it was nice and innocent unlike the movie adaptions of Dr. Seuss.