Galavant "Thoughts"

Drtooth

Reaction score
Galavant got renewed, believe it or not! I enjoyed the first season enough to keep watching more.
That's good. Hopefully the show heads will be smart enough to end things at the end of this season, preventing what happened with their last show. You don't want to be that open ended. I think Last Man on Earth managed to end with a nice ambiguity that does add a cliffhanger element, sure, but also managed to close off a character arc making it just as satisfying if it weren't picked back up (and it was).

Drtooth

Reaction score
Too late to add this as an edit. Unless it's an oversight, ABC didn't renew that horrible Last Man Standing Show. The same fate fell Christella, and I swear that was doing okay. Laughing my butt off that Resurrection was puylled. These long, slow, conspiracy genre shows don't manage to get an audience anymore. I mean, when they actually end, no one likes the ending.

Also, for some reason they announced and pulled a SHIELD spinoff. Weird that they backpedaled that fast.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
The news is really great, it really was given a zero percent chance of renewals on predictions, though ABC decided to take a chance, I hope it becomes a hit, and lasts long, really cool how it got renewed, just great, it could be paired with the muppets which would be even more nice.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
We have a lot of TV threads, so this might not be the right place, but this is worth nothing. NBC renewed Undateable, but next year will be entirely live. When was the last time a scripted show was entirely live, not just for a gimmick episode here or there? I have my doubts about this gamble.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The news is really great, it really was given a zero percent chance of renewals on predictions, though ABC decided to take a chance, I hope it becomes a hit, and lasts long, really cool how it got renewed, just great, it could be paired with the muppets which would be even more nice.
By all means, Galavant could have had a different ending that closed everything off and lasted a one season self contained thing and it would have been just as good. Even 10 minutes of closing the show off could have ended it satisfactory. But they threw in that complication that would save themselves for a second season, which was a gambit that actually paid off, but could have very well ended on an unresolved cliffhanger. While I would like to see more of this show, I can only see it lasting one more season tops. Conceptually, especially.

We have a lot of TV threads, so this might not be the right place, but this is worth nothing. NBC renewed Undateable, but next year will be entirely live. When was the last time a scripted show was entirely live, not just for a gimmick episode here or there? I have my doubts about this gamble.
Okay. Am I the only one that got a flashback to that scene in A Bug's Life when the audience was leaving in droves after how bad the circus performance was and then P.T. Flea shouts "FLAMING DEATH" as a gimmick to get the crowd back? That's the best way I can explain it.

Somehow, this doesn't surprise me. NBC has had a nice little habit of screwing over shows that, despite having a small audience, do have a large and loyal cult following that unfortunately resides outside of the Neilsen "Doesn't matter anymore" ratings families yet renewing the crap out of shows no one watches in an attempt to force people to like them... I guess? After waffling like freaking mad, they decided that Constantine wasn't getting the ratings they wanted (being a Friday Night Death Slot sure didn't help) and cancelled it all the while letting fans on that it just might be if they crossed their fingers. Now, I don't watch this show, and I wouldn't unless Constantine were... well, Muppet web forum, do I really nyeed to fyeenish zat sentence, hmmmm? But it sucks for the loyal fanbase that actually watched that show to hear, "Sorry, guys. But with a schedule full of sitcoms no one watches, reality show competitions that wore out their welcome long ago, Dateline Kattilsday, and The Slap (yeah, even we're shaking our heads on that one), there's no room in the schedule or room in the budget for something people actually watch. You know what they say, go small or go home."

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Okay. Am I the only one that got a flashback to that scene in A Bug's Life when the audience was leaving in droves after how bad the circus performance was and then P.T. Flea shouts "FLAMING DEATH" as a gimmick to get the crowd back? That's the best way I can explain it.
I just can't imagine this is enticing enough to attract viewers, unless they're hoping there will be enough "bloopers" from being live to get the show to go viral. It just seems like a disaster in the making.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yes, but a kind of disaster they're hoping to be a disaster so people will actually tune in. I've never seen a live sitcom go off the rails, nor even too much of a corpsing (and all I can think of is when Tracy Jordan purposely tried to do it in universe in 30 Rock, which at least used the gimmick right, paying tribute to SNL roots). It's just strange the faith NBC has in certain shows.

Sure, Seinfeld was on the verge of cancellation multiple times and by giving it a chance, it became one of the most well known shows of all time. But there's a difference between giving something a chance and ramming things down the audience's throats. I never hear anyone talk about Undatable. I keep forgetting it exists because I don't watch NBC. The fact that a show people actually like that was in the wings got cancelled so ruthlessly while they're saying "here's an unremarkable sitcom we're sure no one likes, so let's renew that with a gimmick" is just NBC at its finest. The same brilliance of shoving Outsourced, a high rated comedy, to a crappy 10:30 PM timeslot where everyone was too tired to care about it, causing the ratings to flatline and get canned after 1 season. Yep. it certainly isn't mismanagement and stupidity's fault no one's watching anymore.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Further adding to personal confusion where certain sitcoms are discussed... didn't someone have a huge complaint about Ellen's "One Big Happy?" Cuz, if you do, it's not only been cancelled, but gained a spot in TVTropes' "So Bad, it's Horrible" page. WOW.

Now, seriously. I like Ellen and all, but she has some awful taste. Between that sitcom, those obnoxious British twerps, and "Repeat After Me" (she also has a show on HGTV that's pretty much identical to everything else on that network, and thus not remarkable enough to complain about in theory...still HGTV...) you wonder why she bothers wielding so much production power if it results in garbage. I'll say the same thing I've said about NBC this (or the other) thread... somehow, a good sitcom that has a following is going to be canned immediately, yet they constantly give their all to shows no one likes. Glad that One Big Happy at least got a swift cancellation. No excuse for running the entire Bad Judge.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I liked how The Goldbergs ended its 2nd season. Like Galavant, it gave the show just enough closure with
Murray finally saying that he loves his daughter and Adam's girlfriend moving away
along with the montage of home video clips juxtaposed with their TV re-enactments, yet still left things open for another season.