Gender Option Suggestion

F

furryredmonster

LoL shouldn't I mail an admin? Or a mod? I am confuzzled...

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I would love that! Then no more people would think I'm a boy! But what would I do with all these "I thought Sgt FLoyd Was a Boy" T-Shirts, lol :wink: just kidding. Really, its a great idea

MrsPepper

Reaction score
As long as it remained an option, and not something mandatory. People should be allowed some anonymity if they so choose.

DTWolf

Reaction score
Voice of Dissent

I'm wholeheartedly against the idea of adding a gender tag to our IDs. I find this whole notion rather disturbing. Why exactly does anyone want to know? Unless you're using Muppet Central as a kind of dating service, I can't see how knowing male or female is useful. One of the beauties of the internet is that no one else can be sure if you're male or female (or of one color or another, of one nationality, etc.), and they have to read your words as is.

Would people read my posts differently thinking I was a female than they would thinking I was a male?

Yes, most people WOULD read my posts differently, not because we're bigots or otherwise bad people but just because gender expectations and reactions are so deeply burned into us that they hurt us before we even know they're there.

But right now, people CAN'T do that on Muppet Central. They might assume I'm one or the other, but they can't dismiss something I write because "she's just a woman" or "it's just like a man to say that!" (and attitudes like that are stuck deep inside most of us whether we'd ever consciously use those words or not).

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I think it would be useful just to know an appropriate reaction. I like to say "man" a lot. Like; "That's cool, man!" But I don't wanna' say that if the user was female so I didn't insult her. I also agree that it needs to be an option and not mandatory. And DTWolf, I think it's very narrow minded to lump everyone into your idea that reactions towards the sexes is something we all have. Speak for yourself, and don't pretend to know all of us. :attitude:

F

furryredmonster

I don't see a problem with people knowing if your male or female DTWolf. And if you do not like the option then do not use it. But the vast majority would like this option.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
DTWolf said:
I'm wholeheartedly against the idea of adding a gender tag to our IDs. I find this whole notion rather disturbing. Why exactly does anyone want to know? Unless you're using Muppet Central as a kind of dating service, I can't see how knowing male or female is useful. One of the beauties of the internet is that no one else can be sure if you're male or female (or of one color or another, of one nationality, etc.), and they have to read your words as is.

Would people read my posts differently thinking I was a female than they would thinking I was a male?

Yes, most people WOULD read my posts differently, not because we're bigots or otherwise bad people but just because gender expectations and reactions are so deeply burned into us that they hurt us before we even know they're there.

But right now, people CAN'T do that on Muppet Central. They might assume I'm one or the other, but they can't dismiss something I write because "she's just a woman" or "it's just like a man to say that!" (and attitudes like that are stuck deep inside most of us whether we'd ever consciously use those words or not).
I sent a PM to one of my forum friends, I won't say who it was out of respect, but I just asked him to please not be offended but I like to know the gender of my specially close forum friends. I did add however that if he didn't want to tell me I would understand as long as he wasn't upset about my asking in the first place.
And he did PM me back and said he was male. So some of us may like to know whether our friends are men or women. It doesn't have to mean any sort of attempted Muppet Central matchmaking. But as true friends we should respect each others wishes for privacy and understand each other even if friends only share their genders in PMes.
That's the reason why the gender display must be only an option as well.