1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Get Ready for some Muppet Nightmare Fuel

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Drtooth, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Thinking about it now, maybe this was intended. Okay, okay, hear me out. Most of you guys probably remembers that weird Big Boy comic that promoted the first Muppet Movie, right?

The illustrator of that comic got a lot of bashing from Muppet fans, that I really think were a bit harsh at times. Truthfully, the odd way that illustrator Manny Stallman drew his comics were his style. In a way, he's sort of like Gonzo. He's an artist, but a very different one. In fact, one of Stallman's colleagues remembers an incident in which Stallman got a nasty letter from a Big Boy customer about his illustration style. The letter basically said "please change your style", and apparently it really crushed poor Stallman. I think it even made him cry a little bit.

So what does this have to do with the topic at hand? Well, there is a possibility that whoever was in charge of this cover was just another Manny Stallman. Maybe this weird design is just someone's unique style. How it wound up on a bootleg DVD is anybody's guess. I don't know, maybe somebody lazily got the image off of Google.

And here's a look at Stallman's comic:
    http://toughpigs.com/journalbigboy01.htm
    CaseytheMuppet likes this.
  2. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but this artwork holds no merit at all. Like the title of it says it's one big Muppet Nightmare! And actually I like those comics better myself! No their not great but their not horrible like this cover mess is. LOL!
  3. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

*shrugs* Oh well, it was just a theory.
  4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

That's giving it too much credit. I've seen my fair share of odd bootleggs in my day. My favorite was a Chef from South park sticker that was Caucasian! Even the stickers made out of Chicken Little Screen grabs with the caption "Sea Life" on the cover.

I guess whoever did this traced the artwork, got lazy, and copied a Kermit. And for some reason just copied or redrew Animal's Head on Pepe. If this truly is a bootleg, that's up to debate. It does seem to have official copyright info on it. And they could just as easily photocopied the poster anyway. That's what most bootleg DVD's do.

However, when they released it on Blu-Ray, they thankfully... nay... mercifully just took the original artwork and added Chinese to it.

[​IMG]
    JazzyAlphabet and Vincent Liu like this.
  5. Vincent Liu

Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

The Chinese translation is different now: "The adventures of wooden puppets in space"
  6. Monstermaster

Monstermaster New Member

Well at least they fixed it.
  7. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Wow...I never noticed just how bad the actual cover was to begin with O_0
    Vincent Liu likes this.
  8. TheWeirdoGirl

TheWeirdoGirl Well-Known Member

...wha...how...?!?!
  9. Drtooth

Poser puppets.

Yeah. MFS was the first Muppet movie to not have an illustrated movie poster.

At least they weren't half taking off their glasses and staring at the camera. Or air kissing like an Italian Chef.
  10. Vincent Liu

I never knew what the original poster looked like. (and I call myself a Muppet fan...)
  11. Powerstars

Powerstars Active Member

We need more Muppet Nightmare Fuel, let's try to find some.
  12. Drtooth

To 1970's Sesame Street!

[​IMG]

...yeah, that's why no one's really asking for more.
    JazzyAlphabet and KirbTreelo05 like this.
  13. Vincent Liu

Eek! And I'm reading this at 11 pm. *shivers*

(what's going on in the picture, anyway?)
  14. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Snuffy looks possessed O_O
    KirbTreelo05 likes this.
  15. Powerstars

Powerstars Active Member

MORE NIGHTMARE FUEL!
  16. galagr

galagr Well-Known Member

Whatever you say.......
    JazzyAlphabet likes this.
  17. Mo Frackle