Girlfriends (or boy) of Muppet Fans

gfarkwort

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I don't post in this thread often, but I thought it would be an apporpiete place for my question.

I am writing a story about a Muppet fan, and I was thinking that although the character is timid, he would have a small outside social life....and he would have a girlfriend who just tolorated/accepted his obsession with the muppets.

I'm at a creative wall though, does anyone have any real life stories where a girlfriend or boyfriend kind of just went along with you being a fan of the muppets...

Or even better an awkward meeting with them....either for the first time...or times after.

Ideally I would like this character to have nothing to do with the Muppets and be the person who is the anchor for the main character and helps him stay in the real world....or she helps him navigate it.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I would LOVE to help but uh...I'm not exactly the best person to ask...:stick_out_tongue: But I absolutely LOVE this idea! I hope you can get around this wall, cause I can't wait to read this!

RedDragon

Reaction score
Boy? Friend? What's that? I never had one of those.... :smile:

Sorry I cannot help you, I'm a loser and proud of it....Great idea thogh!

MuppetMarc

Reaction score
Oh My Gosh! That is exactly the deal with my girlfriend and me (except I don't have a small social life). Let me think, let me think..... she is tolerant of my obsession. She does like the muppets, but isnt a hardcore fan like me. An example of one of them is where she sent an email about all the things she loves about me was something like "I love your love of the muppets, even though I may not understand it." There was another time where we were hanging out with friends and one of them won a game of table hockey (can't remember what it is called right now) and I said "Wow you're my hero, well maybe next to Jim Henson" She replied, "I don't know who that is." and my girlfriend responded, "He's the guy who created the muppets."

I love how she tolerates my obsessions.

Lovingly yours,
MuppetMarc

gfarkwort

Reaction score
MuppetMarc, This is what I'm looking for!....hmmmm....Thanks for putting that part about "I don't know who Jim Henson is." It's interesting to me that ppl don't know who Jim Henson is....I will take that into consideration....

RedDragon & theprawncracker, Thanks for the responses....we're all in the same boat I guess....:wink:

Java

Reaction score
My husband just nods and smiles about it. He has his things and I have mine. As long as it doesn't interfere with our couple time, we can watch and do what we want. He makes tolerates it by making sure to remind me to buy something I've been wanting (figures, dvd's, and such) before it disappears and otherwise stays out of it.

green stuff

Reaction score
I have a story about my special someone's reaction to my muppet fandom very similar to Muppet Marc's..but I have to confess, I am very very tired right now, so I'll be sure to definitely send you the story tomorrow!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Much like Java, my husband also pretty much tolerates my love of the Muppets as long as it doesn't interfere with our relationship too much he's cool with it. He actually enjoys watching the Muppet Show, Fraggle Rock and some of the Muppet movies with me. He really doesn't understand my love of Sesame Street Muppets so I would say that's the part of my obsession he's the least patient with. He usually just smiles and nods when I tell him things about Muppet Central. He thinks it's cute that I have someplace to go and share my obsession with others, but he's not necessarily going to join in. So there you go, that's kind of how it works for us.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Like Muppetmarc said simalarlly, my wife loves that I love the Muppets. She's grown to like them more because of me, and she was thrilled when she recently found out that Dinosaurs was a Henson production because it was her favorite show when she was younger, and as a result, we got the DVD. If anything, she's kinda' envious that I have a passion for something like the Muppets, she wishes she had a fascination at the same level I do with something too.

On the other hand. I had an ex who cheated on me and dumped me before I found out. To protect herself from the slander that would eventually befall her when others found out, she mocked me behind my back saying things like I had sex with my Muppet dolls and other gross statements that aren't appropriate for any forum. She's sinced apologized, but who cares, she was a... well, you know. :wink: