Gorch But Not Forgotten (a comic strip)

lowercasegods

Reaction score
That's so funny about how you used Ernie. Maybe you can make one using Lenny the Lizard, and Afghan Hound....if it's not too much trouble.
I'm interested in using those kinds of rarely considered background characters, so you may see them in the comic yet!

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I really adore your cartoony style and ability to pull off interesting traditional daily styled comic strips! I love comic strips, but have discovered I work best in page format. My heart still lies with the four panel, daily strips though and I applaud your great cartooning talent.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
I really adore your cartoony style and ability to pull off interesting traditional daily styled comic strips! I love comic strips, but have discovered I work best in page format. My heart still lies with the four panel, daily strips though and I applaud your great cartooning talent.
Thank you! I actually started out in the page format as a kid, then when I got to college I experimented with strips and tried for almost ten years solid to be a syndicated cartoonist (they just weren't interested). But now (besides my new Gorch comic) I'm back to full page work with my new graphic novel that comes out next year. While I enjoy the structure of the four panel medium (Set up, response, reaction, punchline) I LOVE the freedom to move around and explore in the full page medium.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
Both formats have their benefits. It's really great to see other people who are passionate about the comics medium.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I have to admit that I'm not familiar at all with Gorch beyond what I've seen in clip form on Jim Henson specials or in books, but Jay... you've done it again creating pure gold with this stuff in that you don't even have to know what the Muppets are to really enjoy this. I've always loved your style and I have to strongly encourage all of you reading this to check out Jay's other stuff because he's one of the best cartoonists out there right now. Fantastic stuff, man, fantastic!

lowercasegods

Reaction score
I have to admit that I'm not familiar at all with Gorch beyond what I've seen in clip form on Jim Henson specials or in books, but Jay... you've done it again creating pure gold with this stuff in that you don't even have to know what the Muppets are to really enjoy this. I've always loved your style and I have to strongly encourage all of you reading this to check out Jay's other stuff because he's one of the best cartoonists out there right now. Fantastic stuff, man, fantastic!
High praise from a high talent! Thank you, my friend!

I've tried to make this strip so that the Gorch characters TELL the gags, but their obscure personalities aren't necessarily the gags. All you know from the old SNL clips is that Ploobis is a blowhard who bullies Scred, Scred is a toadie to Ploobis but has his own desires, Vahz is a sex pot, Peuta is a spoiled old bag, and Wisss is a stoner. I'm trying to take their character types and have them tell gags that people unfamiliar with their story will understand. I'm glad you think it's working!