1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Happy Fraggle 20th Anniversary!

Discussion in 'Fraggle Rock' started by KPrell, Jan 10, 2003.

1. KPrell New Member

Hi folks!

Today marks twenty years since Fraggle Rock first started airing. It premiered on HBO in the United States on January 10th, 1983.

Big thanks to Fraggle fans all around the world for your appreciation of the show!

Wahoo!

Karen Prell and RED!!!
  2. Luke Active Member

Yay !!!!! Happy 20th Anniversary Fraggle Rock !!!!

Congratulations Karen & Red, it's hard to believe it's been 20 years because Henson fans have viewed it with such high regard and affection that we still talk about it all the time today. It sure was a special show - gee time goes fast ! :p

Yipppeeeee!
  3. Jackie New Member

YAY for Fraggle Rock!!!!!! It began airing almost a year after I was born and I can still remember sitting at the TV watching it with my dad! The two most memorable Fraggle moments for me was when I first saw Wembley sing "Pukka Pukka Pukka Pukka Squeetily Boink" and the final episode Change of address with my dad while we were at my grandparents house. I remember looking at the box against the wall and saying to my dad "Do you think there's a fraggle hole behind that!" I was soooo sad for that final episode when Doc pulled the box away and there was nothing...but then when Gobo came through it was just how I would imagine it in my own young mind, they cannot leave the magic. *sigh* I wish these would come out on DVD so i could share that kind of magic with my children.
  4. Phillip Administrator

I agree with Karen, it is hard to believe but 20 years ago today, the very first episode of Fraggle Rock premiered on HBO on Monday January 10th at 6:30 pm central (7:30 pm eastern), a timeslot the show would hold for the next five years.

A few months before the show debuted, a teacher had given me a preview booklet all about Fraggle Rock. It was about 10 pages long but included lots of photos, episode summaries, and even a few class exercises. There were brief previews in Muppet Magazine and the Muppet Show Fan Club Newsletter before the show debuted. There was a 10-15 minute documentary introducing Fraggle Rock on HBO that aired in between programs. They showed how they tested the early shows with audiences of different aged children to see how they responded to each episodes outcome. The Fraggles, Doozers, and Gorgs were also introduced.

Then the big night came on Monday January 10th, 1983. Right off the bat the music was catchy and fun. Uncle Matt was inviting Gobo to "Follow Me" and take all of us with him for the ride during the next five years. The importance and beauty of Fraggle Rock can not just be seen (through the performers and writers) or heard (through the heartfelt lyrics and sounds), but rather as Jim took us on the journey from episode to episode, characters were richly developed, learning more about one another on the way. As outwardly different the Fraggles, Doozers, and Gorgs appeared, as the series developed the characters learned that they were much more alike than different.

Today, more than ever we can learn so much from the lessons of Fraggle Rock. As today begins the 20th anniversary of Fraggle Rock, may 2003 bring Fraggle DVD's, an anniversary CD, and possibly even a return to US television in the new year. The characters learned how much they were interdependent on one another throughout their universe. With the uncertainty throughout our world, children need the hope and humor that can only come from the heart of the Rock.

In honor of Fraggle Rock's 20th anniversary, a fun Fraggle menu designed by James Carroll is up on the front of the site. We will be announcing some other plans soon to honor Fraggle Rock during this special anniversary.
  5. BoyRaisin2 Active Member

Well, let me just be the first to say that the FR banner on the front page is awesome!

And I would like to formally give a shout-out to Karen Prell. Awesome...
  6. scarecroe Active Member

Hooray for 20 years of Fraggle Rock!

While I was never able to watch it faithfully as a child (I was 4 when it premiered) because we didn't get HBO, I fortunately caught an episode here and there when I went to a friend's house or on a weekend that we used to get HBO for free.

I never understood how important the show was until much later in life when I'd started making friends online and learning the secrets of Fraggle Rock.

My two year old daughter became an instant fan just after being exposed to the promo at the beginning of one of the Muppet Show tapes we have. Fortunately, I have one episode on tape ("A Tune For Two") and we've been allowed to enjoy watching it together. Fraggle songs airing on MC Radio have helped in our appreciation of Fraggle fun as well.

As my daughter grows up and becomes more mentally sophisticated, it's a great wish of mine that I'm able to share more of this special show with her throughout the years to come. I also have 2 nephews and a niece on the way who I would like to share the Fraggles with.

To say the least, I've become quite passionate about seeing that this special show is preserved and made available in the homes of families once again.

So that I may help pass the wonder onto a new generation, as well as partake in my own selfish desires to live through the entirety of the show myself, I desperately hope for a release on DVD sometime in the near future.

Bring Back the Magic
    (this is a mirror site to BlueFrackle's petition companion site)
  7. Luke Active Member

Wow - amazing work Jamie, and nicely said indeed Phillp !
  8. tomahawk Member

WOW!!!! 20 years. congrats to all involved with fraggle rock. maybe someday jims vision will come true and it will bring peace to the world. we could sure use some fraggle magic right now.
  9. EmmyMik New Member

Wow. Twenty years ago I was a little over a month old. So I don't remember back that far.

However, I do remember watching Fraggle Rock when I was just a little Emmy. Whenever the HBO intro played before Fraggle Rock, my little heart was filled with pure joy. I couldn't sit still. I would gravitate towards the tv. Then I would rythmically shake my little butt to the HBO intro music and chant "sah" (which was my universal word for EVERYTHING. I didn't see a "flag" I saw a "sah"). To this day my parents still tease me about that.

Anyway, Fraggle Rock was the only show that made me feel this way. It was like Christmas.

I do hope that we can get Fraggle Rock DVDs (and if we have spies out there reading this, try to get that HBO intro on there! :D ). Afterall, "you cannot leave the magic!"
  10. Luke Active Member

............ and Emmy, rythmatically shaking her butt to the theme as a DVD extra ! :D
  11. MuppetDanny Well-Known Member

:eek: GOSH ! 20 years, boy does time fly - I remember watch the show first time round and colleting the stuff.

Happy 20th Anniversary Fraggle Rock !!!!

I wonder how much it's in fraggle years ?

MuppetDanny
  12. electricmayhem New Member

20 years ago was still a little more than a year before I'd be born so I don't remember much from when Fraggle Rock was on but I can remember when it aired on the Odyessey channel (or whatever the Hallmark channel used to be) and I would watch it every day after school! Those were the days..sigh. Anyway, congratulations on your 20th anniversary Fraggle Rock (and Karen!:) )!!
  13. radionate New Member

Wow Jamie!

I just noticed Matt in "outer space" and the Trash Heap!

Such great little hidden gems!

And thanks to Karen and Terry and Jerry, Steve, and everyone else for these fantastic characters that shaped the childhood of so many of us. Such a fantastic show, its so hard to believe that it was twenty years ago that I was plopped down in front of a TV watching it.

Happy Anniversary Fraggle Rock!
  14. Smig New Member

Twenty Years ago...radishes, banana tree shirts, peach and garlic
    pie, greaseberries, terrible tunnels, poison cacklers, whoopie water, grapes of generosity, honks of honks, beasts of blue rocks,
    and various other silly things..

Those were the days.

Now go balance a pickle on your nose.

Smig
  15. Stryder Wolfe New Member

Congrats on the anniversary! 20 years already...madness...

I too would love to see this show on DVD, particularly because I've heard so much about it, but have never seen an episode...sadly, we couldnt' afford HBO when I was a young'un...
  16. Traveling Matt New Member

YEAH!!! Congrats Fraggle Rock on your 20th anniversary :) I can think of no better series for children to grow up on.

Congrats Karen and Red! And very well put, Phillip ;)

Here's to 2003, and all sorts of merchandise that should (and will) be coming our way!

- Billy :cool:
  17. AnthonyF3 New Member

Has it been 20 years already? Wow, and it feels like I'm only 18!

All stupid non-jokes aside, I hope Phil's little prediction does come true, and we do see some new Fraggle stuff this year. I'm not holding my breath or anything, but that'd be awesome.

All Hail Fraggle Rock on it's 20th Anniversary!

Crazy, Man

Anthony
  18. frogboy4 Inactive Member

Congradulations Fraggle Rock!

The show was really special to me - especially since my family didn't have cable at the time. I was always at some special place when viewing the show - vacations or my grandparents' house. I still have only seen about a third of the episodes and wish someone would put it back on the air. I remember having the tapes, the videos, the figures, the plushes and much more when I was a kid. I still have the lunch box in my collection.

Thank you Karen and all who contributed to such a spectacular show!

(I hope y'all like the menu that was designed for this occasion. It will be up all week. )
  19. Manda:-D New Member

Fraggle Rock may have started 3 years b/f I was born, but it was still an intergral part of my childhood. I love Mokey's kindness, Gobo's adventurousness, Wembley's big heart, Boober's pessimism, and Red's enthusiasm. (ESPECIALLY Red's enthusiasm! She's my favorite!) I wanted a dog like Sprocket, and I wished Doc would've been my Grampa. The Gorgs, especially Junior, ALWAYS made me laugh, and on of my favorite sayings was, "The trash heap has spoken. Nyah!" I was fascinated by the Doozers, and then, of course there was the music. Oh, WHO could've forgotten that music! In my later years, as I was singing in different choirs, I began to wish I had a music teacher that would help me understand music like Cantus. When the reruns started showing on Odysssey, boy was that heaven! I used to come home every day from school to watch it....Even though I was already 13 by then....The night of my school's homecoming my freshman year, I didn't have a date. Neither did a friend of mine. We ended up calling each other and taking for FIVE HOURS, always ending up coming back to ONE subject in our conversation: Fraggle Rock. THAT is how wonderful that show is. THAT is the effect it had on me. I hope someday they'll have it on DVD, but until then, I'll be singin' my heart out on those songs, like I always do!
    "Dance your cares away....Worries for another day...." (It'd be more helpful if I'd spell "worries" right, huh?)
    P.S: KAREN PRELL??!!! Oh my gosh!!! (I really AM a HUUUUUUUGE Red fan!!!!) HHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!
  20. EmmyMik New Member

LOL!!!!!!

No, no, no, no. See the thing is, we want these DVDs to sell well. Not cause people to suddenly seek professional help.

:D