Happy Fraggle 20th Anniversary!

KPrell

Reaction score
Hi folks!

Today marks twenty years since Fraggle Rock first started airing. It premiered on HBO in the United States on January 10th, 1983.

Big thanks to Fraggle fans all around the world for your appreciation of the show!

Wahoo!

Karen Prell and RED!!!

Luke

Reaction score
Yay !!!!! Happy 20th Anniversary Fraggle Rock !!!!

Congratulations Karen & Red, it's hard to believe it's been 20 years because Henson fans have viewed it with such high regard and affection that we still talk about it all the time today. It sure was a special show - gee time goes fast ! :stick_out_tongue:

Yipppeeeee!

Jackie

Reaction score
YAY for Fraggle Rock!!!!!! It began airing almost a year after I was born and I can still remember sitting at the TV watching it with my dad! The two most memorable Fraggle moments for me was when I first saw Wembley sing "Pukka Pukka Pukka Pukka Squeetily Boink" and the final episode Change of address with my dad while we were at my grandparents house. I remember looking at the box against the wall and saying to my dad "Do you think there's a fraggle hole behind that!" I was soooo sad for that final episode when Doc pulled the box away and there was nothing...but then when Gobo came through it was just how I would imagine it in my own young mind, they cannot leave the magic. *sigh* I wish these would come out on DVD so i could share that kind of magic with my children.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with Karen, it is hard to believe but 20 years ago today, the very first episode of Fraggle Rock premiered on HBO on Monday January 10th at 6:30 pm central (7:30 pm eastern), a timeslot the show would hold for the next five years.

A few months before the show debuted, a teacher had given me a preview booklet all about Fraggle Rock. It was about 10 pages long but included lots of photos, episode summaries, and even a few class exercises. There were brief previews in Muppet Magazine and the Muppet Show Fan Club Newsletter before the show debuted. There was a 10-15 minute documentary introducing Fraggle Rock on HBO that aired in between programs. They showed how they tested the early shows with audiences of different aged children to see how they responded to each episodes outcome. The Fraggles, Doozers, and Gorgs were also introduced.

Then the big night came on Monday January 10th, 1983. Right off the bat the music was catchy and fun. Uncle Matt was inviting Gobo to "Follow Me" and take all of us with him for the ride during the next five years. The importance and beauty of Fraggle Rock can not just be seen (through the performers and writers) or heard (through the heartfelt lyrics and sounds), but rather as Jim took us on the journey from episode to episode, characters were richly developed, learning more about one another on the way. As outwardly different the Fraggles, Doozers, and Gorgs appeared, as the series developed the characters learned that they were much more alike than different.

Today, more than ever we can learn so much from the lessons of Fraggle Rock. As today begins the 20th anniversary of Fraggle Rock, may 2003 bring Fraggle DVD's, an anniversary CD, and possibly even a return to US television in the new year. The characters learned how much they were interdependent on one another throughout their universe. With the uncertainty throughout our world, children need the hope and humor that can only come from the heart of the Rock.

In honor of Fraggle Rock's 20th anniversary, a fun Fraggle menu designed by James Carroll is up on the front of the site. We will be announcing some other plans soon to honor Fraggle Rock during this special anniversary.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Well, let me just be the first to say that the FR banner on the front page is awesome!

And I would like to formally give a shout-out to Karen Prell. Awesome...

scarecroe

Reaction score
Hooray for 20 years of Fraggle Rock!

While I was never able to watch it faithfully as a child (I was 4 when it premiered) because we didn't get HBO, I fortunately caught an episode here and there when I went to a friend's house or on a weekend that we used to get HBO for free.

I never understood how important the show was until much later in life when I'd started making friends online and learning the secrets of Fraggle Rock.

My two year old daughter became an instant fan just after being exposed to the promo at the beginning of one of the Muppet Show tapes we have. Fortunately, I have one episode on tape ("A Tune For Two") and we've been allowed to enjoy watching it together. Fraggle songs airing on MC Radio have helped in our appreciation of Fraggle fun as well.

As my daughter grows up and becomes more mentally sophisticated, it's a great wish of mine that I'm able to share more of this special show with her throughout the years to come. I also have 2 nephews and a niece on the way who I would like to share the Fraggles with.

To say the least, I've become quite passionate about seeing that this special show is preserved and made available in the homes of families once again.

So that I may help pass the wonder onto a new generation, as well as partake in my own selfish desires to live through the entirety of the show myself, I desperately hope for a release on DVD sometime in the near future.

Bring Back the Magic
(this is a mirror site to Warrick's petition companion site)

Luke

Reaction score
Wow - amazing work Jamie, and nicely said indeed Phillp !

tomahawk

Reaction score
WOW!!!! 20 years. congrats to all involved with fraggle rock. maybe someday jims vision will come true and it will bring peace to the world. we could sure use some fraggle magic right now.

EmmyMik

Reaction score
Wow. Twenty years ago I was a little over a month old. So I don't remember back that far.

However, I do remember watching Fraggle Rock when I was just a little Emmy. Whenever the HBO intro played before Fraggle Rock, my little heart was filled with pure joy. I couldn't sit still. I would gravitate towards the tv. Then I would rythmically shake my little butt to the HBO intro music and chant "sah" (which was my universal word for EVERYTHING. I didn't see a "flag" I saw a "sah"). To this day my parents still tease me about that.

Anyway, Fraggle Rock was the only show that made me feel this way. It was like Christmas.

I do hope that we can get Fraggle Rock DVDs (and if we have spies out there reading this, try to get that HBO intro on there! :big_grin: ). Afterall, "you cannot leave the magic!"

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by EmmyMik
(and if we have spies out there reading this, try to get that HBO intro on there! :big_grin:
............ and Emmy, rythmatically shaking her butt to the theme as a DVD extra ! :big_grin: