Has anyone ever lost a pet?

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
I've felt a lot of signs of Barney latey...Heres one that i'm in shock from, Thurday, the day after we took Barney, My older Brother picked me up from college and we both went to our Grandparents house for a vist. A few of my younger cosins were there and they were watching....Old Yeller....Oh my gosh, I could not belive it. They were watching a tape of it and had no idea that Banrey had bit Alex and we had to get rid of the dog. Neither did my grandparents, we still have not told them yet because my mom as well as the rest of my family know that they will worrie themself's sick about Alex when he is really fine.
It's nice to think that our pets can send us signs from beyond the Rainbow Bridge. I like to think that Pepper's done the same for me a couple times.

The first time was Family Weekend this past fall semester. I was sitting in my room at my computer, eyes on my monitor, when I see something out of the corner of my eye. I turn around, and it's a dog. I don't know if it was just a puppy or if it was a mixed breed, but it definately had some Great Dane in it. It was black with white on its paws (I think) and a white patch on its chest. Apparently this dog belonged to the parents of one of the girls who lives in the quad next to my room, and it had decided to just stroll into my room and sit down right next to me. It was only there for thirty seconds or so before the girl came and dragged him back to her room. After that happened I got to thinking whether or not that was a sign from Pepper; she was completely black with a small patch of white on her chest.

The second time was sometime near the end of 2002, after we had Ginger put to sleep. I was watching the Pet Psychic on Animal Planet, even though the segments with Sonya helping owners contact pets who had passed on made me weepy every single time. Anyway, one woman was trying to get in contact with the spirit of her dog, and the picture they showed was of a black Lab with a purple collar. Both Pepper and Ginger had had purple collars. Of course I started crying right then. To this day I believe that Pepper or some higher power wanted me to watch that segment, to tell me it was okay that I wasn't there when Pepper was put down.

So far, no signs from Ginger.

-Kim

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Zack,

My condolences; so sorry to hear about your dog. :frown: I hope that life treats you better soon.

The Flying Sheep

Reaction score
I'm so sorry Zack. I've never lost a pet, so I don't know how it feels, but I have a friend who lost a cat and was visibley tearful for weeks. My everlasting condolences.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Thanks guys, i'm doing much better now, my family is in talk of getting a new puppy/dog in the spring "maybe". it would be a small non sheding dog;-) unlike Barney. My younger brother Alex is doing great too! you can hardly see anymarks on his face and if he keeps aplying his medicne on it, it will not scar bad.

zack

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
Hey Zach,

I'm really sorry to hear about your dog. I know how you feel, cuz in 2000 we had to put our 15-year-old cat Calico to sleep. I'd never known life without her, and it was one of the most devestating moments of my life. :frown: She was always such a good friend to me -- she would crawl into bed with me when I was sick, and just showed me love when things got hectic. I miss her so much, but one thing that comforted me during the shock of having her put to sleep (it's sooo strange how fast that actually comes!) was the thought of her giving up her life in our house to provide a better life for another creature(s) to be rescued. That other creature9s) were Myrtle (my sister's cat) and Bojangles (my cat :smile: :flirt: ) It helps to think of them sacrificing their lives for other animals.

All my comfort,

--"Scary" Larry Wolf

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Hi again guys, just to let you know my brother is doing fine.

also, i got another one of those "signs of Barney" this happend a little more then a week ago, and my younger borther is the one who caught it! In our mail my older borther got a slip for student loans or something like that and on the front of the slip it had two dogs on it one was a large great dane i think and the other was a ducthound. The words on the slip said " Go from Big to Small" this i guess is a joke from go to paying high loans to low loans or something like that...well anyways my borther and I, as well as my older brother are trying to convince our parents to get a new small dog, seeing that Barney was a big fat pig.:wink: So see how that slip works out? lol, It's on the frige now! Whats also weird is that the slip came the 20th...the first day without are pig back in Febuary which would be the day after we had to get rid of him, so a month later!

Ehh, we are trying to get my parents to crack, we kinda have and haven't, if anything it will take time, we would rather have the weather to be a little warmer if we were trainning a new pup, or i kinda hope we get an already trained older dog.

I feel it gets kinda harder at times now,i mean everyday i would come home from work that pigs nose would pop right out the door as i would open it in the night. not anymore

also when i'm going up the basement steps you think your gonna see a big lazy furry body on the landing in front of the door fast a sleep, but ya don't:sympathy:

I really hope we get a new dog, he/she would be a lotta fun for us and we would be doing a lot of stuff with him this up coming summer.:smile:

Zack,

Luke

Reaction score
Hey Zack

I really hope you get a new dog too, but maybe if you do your brother needs to be EXTRA careful not to get in the way of this one while he's eating (even the smaller ones are snappy ! - my ankles have found this out). Any dog is a pack animal, they originally ate and hunted in packs (groups) in the wild so they are territorial when it comes to guarding their food and possessions from other animals in the pack - it's a natural instinct in their genes. It's actually very similar to Wolves who they descend from. Barney considered you guys as part of his family (which you should be so proud off because some dogs even though they live for years with people do not) and so it's always best not to get near them when they are eating or playing with a bone or something. Even friendly dogs will usually give a warning growl if people get too close at these times and some dogs are more easy than others about going any further than that, but they are still born with the territorial instincts, just depends if it clicks in and unfortunately when it does, you are both in a situation where the dog cannot really stay any more.

I would suggest if you are getting another dog that you guys read up on or go to see someone about doggie psychology - it will help you tons to understand them as animals believe me and so you'll get where they are coming from. Also i'd imagine your brother will be extra thoughtful about owning another mutt so it's best if he jumps right in while its still a baby pup and they can bond together right from the start and can teach him right or wrong. Maybe it'd be good if you guys had kinda zones in the house where he could do what - so say he eats in the kitchen or wherever but is left to himself until he finishes, plays in the garden where he is taught that he has to muck in with the family and play nice, sleeps in the hallway, zacks bed etc where he can get rest. Maybe not that defined but just so he knows what he can expect - it might work for ya, i used to work on a TV show called 'Psychic Pets' (don't laugh) and the psychologist there taught me that. Of course we also had a few dead snakes and budgies that flew smack bang into windows yet he never predicted their imminent deaths so maybe not.

Luke

*Dog Psychology Advice Only $10 An Hour*

Boober_Baby

Reaction score
Today we mourn a German Shepard.

RIP Zeus
July 2nd 1992 - March 30th 2003

My dog just died this morning. And I didn't even know he was sick.

I got Zeus as a birthday present when I turned 9, and I named him Zeus cuz since Zeus was the God of the Gods I figured my Zeus could be the dog of the dogs... and it's a fitting name for a German Shepard. ^^

And he was the funniest dog ever. I'm pretty sure he was the wimpiest German Shepard in existence. He was afraid of tile! Seriously, he'd take the long way around the house to avoid the tile... and sometimes I'd be mean to him, so that when he did have to walk over the tile I'd open the fridge door (which completely blocks his path) and he'd have to skid and stop... but twas all fun. ^^ (I know, I'm a horrible person... they should've never given me a dog!)

But I live in residence this year, so I haven't been home too much. And apparently he's been sick all week... and even freakishly so, he's been parallel to my grandpa. My grandpa's really sick right now, and hasn't eaten anything for almost 2 weeks. My dog didn't eat for a week either. But up until last week he was perfectly fine! We all thought he had a good 3 or 4 years left in him.

So my mom called today and told me that this morning he looked really bad so they took him to the vet, and had the vet come outside to the car. The vet said he'd be just fine, but my parents didn't really believe him and waited around a bit longer. They left him in the car (no worries. Today's a cloudy, very cool day and of course the windows were opened and they were checking on him every 5 minutes) and my mom noticed his head was down but his eyes were open. He died in the car, which is kinda nice actually because the car was his favourite place to be. So at least he died peacefully and in his favourite spot.

Jeeze... this was a long post. I never get this sentimental usually, I hate all forms of mush... but I'll miss my pup.

Bye Zeus.

^_^ Debo

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
i've never lost a pet i've had for a while....my biggest loss was Michael the Minnow

my dad would never let us have a fish, but one day we were fishing, and we had some extra minnows...i asked dad for one, and he said yes.

i picked the minnow up and put him in a styrofoam cup, and took him home (it was our neighbors pond so it wasn't a long walk) I got home and put Michael in a fish bowl...i loved michael, he was energetic and happy...we fed him fish food we had (i don't know WHY we had fish food...we never had fish) but the next day i come home from school and immediately go to see Michael as i was walking up my cat, Licorice, walked out..i wasn't worried, because we had a screen over the bowl...well the screen was on the bowl, but Michael was dead...the cat had gotten to him...there were claw marks on him...so somehow my cat had took off the screen scratched poor michael and put it back on.....

well it wasn't near as sad as everyone elses, but i hate to be left out!

Sarah

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Boober Baby,

My deepest condolences on the loss of your dog.