Has anyone ever lost a pet?

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
My dog Beauty is a wonderful dog.....

she was abandoned around our house. We finally took her in on New Year's Eve 1993. We weren't sure how old she was. I guessed around three. We figure she is mostly german shepard...she looks just like one, except she is all black. Her full name is Black Beauty, because we had seen that movie the day we finally let her in the house.

that would make beauty at least eleven now. She's been a wonderful dog. Last week she started acting funny. She didn't get up unless she had to. This greatly alerted my family and my parents looked online for an answer. Dad found out about the disease displascia. German Shepards get it in the back hips. They live with it their whole lives, then something makes it act up.

It's my fault. I was walking in the living room the other day. I tripped on a table, and stepped on her back paws. This set it off.

There is no cure for displascia, and eventually she will be put to sleep. It's killing my parents so bad. Dad cannot stand to see her in pain, and is going to call the vet tomorrow, unless a doggy miracle happens.

I love my dog horribly. I cannot stand to see her in such pain. The displascia adds to other effects that old age has, so her breathing is hard and laborous. The worst part is she doesn't even pay attention to the cat (who she used to think she was the boss of and follow around)

:cry: Sarah :cry:

Luke

Reaction score
Sarah,

Hope everything goes ok for you and Beauty, thinking about you both ! :smile:

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Dad took her this morning. She was so bad she couldn't get up, she just stumbled. I cried for an hour, but I know it's for the best. She was in so much pain.

Sarah

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
So sorry to hear that, Sarah. I'm sure it hurts a lot right now but like you said it was best for Beauty. Hope you and your family have nothing but happier days ahead.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
thank you for the kind words, and thoughts

Sarah

Manda:-D

Reaction score
Sarah, I'm so sorry to hear a/b your dog....But what happened is NOT your fault. It's just the way thgings happen. I just hope you're not blaming yourself....
We got a dog, Comet, a pure-bred Jack Russell, from a friend's nephew. (They couldn't take care of him anymore.) Comet was a little hard to control, but VERY affectionate. He also wasn't particularly bright, and he was REALLY hyper, (as most Jack Russells are), but we loved him. Every so often, he'd break out of the yard, and head off on a little adventure, I guess. (And sometimes go after our cats.) When we came home to find he wasn't there, we figured that's where he was, and he'd be back by the end of the day, as usual.
It's been three days, and he hasn't come back.
I miss him SO much, and I'd love to have him back. But you know what? Sometimes, if he got a bit too rough w/the cats, we'd have to keep him tethered...(Jack Russells believe it's their job to rid us of vermin, and to them, CATS are vermin, too.)....If he ended up safe w/a family that'll love him, I think I'll be just as happy with that, too. I just wish I knew where he was, and that he was safe.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
manda, I hope your dog comes back!

we can't bear life without a dog, so we are looking into another one...we would like a smaller one. We were thinking of Jack Russell, but Dad wants a puppy, and he doesn't want to pay. Now we are leaning towards some kind of border collie mix....

Sarah

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Sarah & Manda I'm very sorry to hear about both of your dogs:sympathy: My prayers are with you Sarah and i hope your dog is safe Manda.

I don't know if my family will be getting a new dog or not, my parents would like to sell the house in a few years and they feel it will be harded to sell with a dog here, it would have been a big hoot and a half if we had Barney and were trying to sell the house.

Still, amazingly my Mama'a still kinda wants a dog, a person who never really wanted a dog in the first place.

I hope you guys will be okay
:sympathy:

Zachary,

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
thank you, Zack. We plan to visit the shelter on Friday.

Sarah

Manda....is your dog still missing...:frown:

Manda:-D

Reaction score
No sign of Comet, still. :frown: One of our neighbors told us they saw a "Found Dog" sign, but when we went to where they said the sign was, it was gone.
It could've been Comet, and they just decided to keep him when they got no response, it could've been Comet and someone else claimed him, (he's a very valuable dog), it could've not been Comet at all.....The possibilities are endless!
We had a collar on him, & a tag w/our number, but Comet got to be such an expert at taking that off....
Like I said, I'd be glad just to know he was safe and happy......Just so long as I don't see him dead on the side of the road anywhere. (We live off of a really busy street.)
I'm just really worried. :frown: