Has anyone ever lost a pet?

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Well, this has been one crazy week. First Tuesday I get the unbelievably wonderful news that Simon and Garfunkel are reuniting and coming to Cleveland on their tour. Today, I get the unfathomable news that my dog Sandy's kidneys are shutting down. She's 13, so we've been kinda preparing ourselves, but she's been in pretty good health up until a couple weeks ago, when she started getting pretty skinny, smelling up the house, having runny eyes, not wanting to put pressure on her legs...just a bunch of things. We took her to our regular vet last week and he didn't really give us the time of day. Well, the regular vet was out and it was a different guy and he just said she probably had tapeworms. And we were so relieved we believed him. But she spent this week getting worse, not better, and we took her to the emergency room because the vet wasn't in. And they told us that. So now we're playing the waiting game, and I'm pretty darn miserable. From ultimate high to ultimate low in two days. She's here in the living room on a blanket and we're just going to leave her there. I think that's a lot better that way. It probably will just be a few days.
Erin

jellyman kelly

Reaction score
ooh, poor erin. poor everbody posting to this thread. and poor me...my cat grover died at christmas, he was bitten by a dog a few months earlier, just when we thought he had recovered really well and was getting back to normal, my dad found him in his favourite spot under a tree, just lying there not breathing. we think maybe a snake bit him. he was such a big tough cat though and only 5 years old, we miss him like crazy. im lucky ive got my other two babies (read 'kittens'), smutty and moppet to look after me..they are soo fat and cuddly..

*giggles, smiles a reminiscent smile*

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I'm sorry about Grover. :frown: But I'm glad that you still have your other kitties to snuggle with. :smile: I have three. One is particularly close to Sandy, so we'll see how that goes.... I don't think she is going to last that long, and I just hope she doesn't go tomorrow on my brother Nathan's birthday. His thirteenth and fifteenth birthdays have already pretty much been ruined (thirteenth because of 9-11), don't want to stain the day forever. :frown:
Erin

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Well, Sandy died right around 1:00 this morning Basically just as SNL was ending. Her breathing was becoming particularly erratic, and I put her head in my lap. She died a couple minutes later. I pretty much tethered myself to her those last 55 or so hours, after I walked off my frustration for a couple hours after we got back from the vet. I left her side just for brief periods of time; I slept on the floor with her all Thursday night and pretty much all of Friday, then Friday night I took her outside for an hour so she could see the stars again; she always loved star-gazing. I held her and sang lullabyes to her. Then we went back inside, and after half an hour or so she was wriggling towards the stairs, so I took her up to my room and put her on my bed and slept next to her. Yesterday was my brother's birthday, and I brought her downstairs in the morning and left her under his watch while Mom and I did some last-minute birthday errands. Nathan had a bowling party with his friends, and I decided to stay home with Sandy. I popped in Pete's Dragon and we were watching that, then Mom and Dad came home and I went with them for a little while to see Nathan and his friends bowl their last game. They came over for pizza afterwards, and I took Sandy back upstairs and stayed with her until it was time for Nathan's birthday dinner at Red Lobster. I hated to leave her alone, but she was sleeping and Nathan really wanted me to come. It was a very nice dinner, and I was relieved to see that she was still around when we got back. I lay down next to her again, and it was just another two hours. She threw up a few times, but other than that she was very comfortable throughout the whole ordeal, and the end of her life was as pleasant as it could have been. It's sure going to be strange around here without her, though.
Erin

jellyman kelly

Reaction score
r.i.p sandy.
i bet she was really grateful that you stayed with her erin.
oooh so sad now, i wish i could go home and cuddle my babies..

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
jellyman kelly said:
r.i.p sandy.
i bet she was really grateful that you stayed with her erin.
oooh so sad now, i wish i could go home and cuddle my babies..
Thanks. I am glad I was with her, and I think she was aware of her surroundings the whole time. I think it's how she would've wanted to go, and I'm so grateful that it was as peaceful as it was. Going on from here, though... I've been crying for three days straight. I don't know how easy it's going to be for me to just get on with life. We buried her in the backyard under a tree and are going to plant forget-me-nots over her grave and put in a gravestone and put a little picket fence around it. We'll probably move the swing and wind chimes over there too. It should be nice.
Erin

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I just noticed your font changes when you get quoted! Odd... very cool though!
Erin

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
I'm sorry about everyones pet losses :sympathy: I'm glad people are still sharing there thoughts about there pets in this thread. Feel free to talk about any good memories you've had with your past pets.

Zachary,

jellyman kelly

Reaction score
how is your brother doing these days zack?? do you encourage him to talk about all the great times he had with barney before the accident, i think thats important.