Has anyone ever lost a pet?

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
One of my favorite memories of Sandy is one I actually didn't experience. I had gone to Washington, D.C. for a weekend school trip to the Holocaust museum. On Saturday, my folks went to the hardware store and left Sandy at home. They locked the back door but apparently didn't bolt it down to the floor. When they got home, the back door was open and Sandy was nowhere to be found. A couple minutes later they got a phone call from my grandma. "Are you missing someone?" she asked. Turns out Sandy had unlocked the back door and wandered down to my grandma's house, about a mile away and requiring her to cross a busy street. I'd walked her there many times before, and I guess she was looking for me or the family or just wanted to pay Grandma a visit! Anyway, she got to Grandma's and scratched on the door, and Grandma was quite surprised but let her in and I suppose gave her a bowl of water. She told me about it when I got back from my trip. :smile:
Erin

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Jellyman kelly
how is your brother doing these days zack?? do you encourage him to talk about all the great times he had with barney before the accident, i think thats important.
My brothers doing great! Thanks for asking! Yes we have talked about the good times with Barney many, many times and your right that is important. Thanks again! :smile:

Zack,

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
We weren't sure after Sandy died how soon we would get another dog or even if we would get another dog at all. We thought it would be quite a while, but we found that we just missed having a dog too much. So we started looking around, and this past Monday we saw an ad in the paper for free basset hound / husky puppies. We went to see them and fell in love. :flirt: There were three females at that point, and Mom wanted a female, so we took the smallest one home. She's really sweet and laid back, except for her occasional hyper modes. And we've learned that it's not a bad idea to wear shoes around her because she has sharp teeth and has a bad habit of nipping bare toes! But we're having a lot of fun with her. She's got really baggy skin and long silky ears. Huge paws, so we don't know how big she'll wind up being. We decided to call her Mokey. :smile: The cats are still pretty wary of her, but they're getting better. She usually just displays very mild curiosity when she's around them. They go near her and start hissing... :frown: One of these days they'll decide she's not so intimidating. Till then I guess she's just got us humans! :stick_out_tongue:
Erin

jellyman kelly

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
We weren't sure after Sandy died how soon we would get another dog or even if we would get another dog at all. We thought it would be quite a while, but we found that we just missed having a dog too much. So we started looking around, and this past Monday we saw an ad in the paper for free basset hound / husky puppies. We went to see them and fell in love. :flirt: There were three females at that point, and Mom wanted a female, so we took the smallest one home. She's really sweet and laid back, except for her occasional hyper modes. And we've learned that it's not a bad idea to wear shoes around her because she has sharp teeth and has a bad habit of nipping bare toes! But we're having a lot of fun with her. She's got really baggy skin and long silky ears. Huge paws, so we don't know how big she'll wind up being. We decided to call her Mokey. :smile: The cats are still pretty wary of her, but they're getting better. She usually just displays very mild curiosity when she's around them. They go near her and start hissing... :frown: One of these days they'll decide she's not so intimidating. Till then I guess she's just got us humans! :stick_out_tongue:
Erin
mokey, i love it! i know a basset called helmut, he is the biggest dog i have ever met!! hes sooo flabby and gorgeous though! give her lots of cuddles!
:halo:

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
jellyman kelly said:
mokey, i love it! i know a basset called helmut, he is the biggest dog i have ever met!! hes sooo flabby and gorgeous though! give her lots of cuddles!
:halo:
Aw... Yeah, she's adorable (though she's being rather rambunctious this morning). We're all looking forward to seeing what she looks like when she grows up. So far we don't see the husky at all. :stick_out_tongue:
Erin

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
Aw... Yeah, she's adorable (though she's being rather rambunctious this morning). We're all looking forward to seeing what she looks like when she grows up. So far we don't see the husky at all. :stick_out_tongue:
Erin
Congratulations on the new Pup, Erin! Husky are cute! Maybe she's a mix though?

Zach,

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Zack the Dog said:
Congratulations on the new Pup, Erin! Husky are cute! Maybe she's a mix though?
Zach,
Yes, she's a basset and husky mix. We can definitely see the basset, with her droopy skin and ears and big feet, but so far she doesn't really look like a husky. I imagine we'll start to see it when she gets older. Everybody at the vet's office thinks her mother had a one-night stand with a lab. :stick_out_tongue:
Erin

tiggie0686

Reaction score
Well, I never had a pet other than a few goldfish. When i was 5 or 6, my sister won a goldfish at a carnival, and I was so jealous so my parents had to go out and by me one. In the end, my goldfish lived about 2 days. I was completely crushed when my mom flushed it down the toilet before I could say goodbye (keep in mind I was 5), so she bought me another one. I went through about 3 more goldfish, all of which died within 72 hours, and every single time I was completely heartbroken when the fish died.

Moral: Goldfish make sucky pets, especially for sensitive kids.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
My brother got a goldfish at the end of Bible School one year, when he was about 5, maybe younger. He named it "Love." It died within a couple days, and he, too, was crushed. We bought a "Love II," but it didn't last much longer. :frown:
Erin

tiggie0686

Reaction score
Yeah, I named my fish Bubbles. Bubbles died. As did Bubbles 2, 3, and 4. They were all named Bubbles! :halo: I was such a queer little kid...