Has Sesame become less educational?

mikebennidict

Reaction score
well i don't know why anyone before age 2 would watch any TV. no one can understand anything at that age.

Censored

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
well i don't know why anyone before age 2 would watch any TV. no one can understand anything at that age.
Yeah, what's next? Sesame Street for fetuses and embryos?

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
Yeah, what's next? Sesame Street for fetuses and embryos?
Darn tootin! If mommies-to-be can put classical music up to their pregnant bellies then by golly, they can put recordings of Ernie and Cookie Monster up there, too!

Drtooth

Reaction score
GelflingWaldo and Hays seem to be the only people who really understand the real story behind this. They really know how to put their thoughts into an unbiased fact-based answer.

Other than that, it's all the same angry fan rants about "Oh boy.. Elmo is dumb... where's some character that hasn't been on since the early 80's." I understand you, and I feel the same way... but keep this in mind...

IT'S A KID'S SHOW!!!!

So the question is, has Sesame Street lost its educational hold? Yes and No. Yes, as in they only have one letter and Number of the day, and they have what seems to be less of other things, but here's where the no comes in. Different ways of teaching different things. Times have changed, and as much as we all would like the classic episodes and skits to be used more, the sad truth is they can't. Kids like Elmo. He's more personal to them than Guy Smiley and such. And remember, kids like to see kids on TV over adults. Kids like to read books about kids. hense Harry Potter's popularity over... Scarlette O' Hara. Plus, they are teaching newer stuff, like More Spanish words than just uno, dos, tres, and Hola and Adios. They are teaching about different cultures in every episode via Global Grover. They didn't lose any educational value, just tweaked it.

Besides, I don't recall the SS characters talking about "Frustraited" until now.

Censored

Reaction score
Don't shout Elmo-lovers, don't shout...

That's not what nostalgia's about...

But, if you cannot take...

The posts that we make...

Turn off your computer and pout.

:smile:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
GelflingWaldo and Hays seem to be the only people who really understand the real story behind this. They really know how to put their thoughts into an unbiased fact-based answer.

Other than that, it's all the same angry fan rants about "Oh boy.. Elmo is dumb... where's some character that hasn't been on since the early 80's." I understand you, and I feel the same way... but keep this in mind...

IT'S A KID'S SHOW!!!!

So the question is, has Sesame Street lost its educational hold? Yes and No. Yes, as in they only have one letter and Number of the day, and they have what seems to be less of other things, but here's where the no comes in. Different ways of teaching different things. Times have changed, and as much as we all would like the classic episodes and skits to be used more, the sad truth is they can't. Kids like Elmo. He's more personal to them than Guy Smiley and such. And remember, kids like to see kids on TV over adults. Kids like to read books about kids. hense Harry Potter's popularity over... Scarlette O' Hara. Plus, they are teaching newer stuff, like More Spanish words than just uno, dos, tres, and Hola and Adios. They are teaching about different cultures in every episode via Global Grover. They didn't lose any educational value, just tweaked it.

Besides, I don't recall the SS characters talking about "Frustraited" until now.
un i think i understand very well. maybe i disagree a little bit about there's reasons for the changes

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
Thanks, I guess all those college classes I took on education and teaching came in handy for something.

mikebennidict said:
With that logic you shouldn't talk to your children until they are able to understand you either. Watching TV/videos/movies is good for children (in moderation). You shouldn't stick them in front of the TV for 8-hours a day, but some TV is good; the sounds and images do stimulate growth and development of the brain. And it allows them to connect images, actions, sounds, events, and movement. You'd be surprise on how even at a very young age the human brain is able to comprehend alot more than many give it credit for.

Here is a small example of a youngster understanding TV. My young cousin was around 16-months old (could not talk yet) but could connect the image of Elmo on TV with his stuffed Elmo toy (he realized they were both Elmo). He would was what many would call "mesmerized" by the TV when Elmo was on (even the sound of Elmo's voice got his attention) -- but other things on TV he did not care about. At that young age he could connect the Elmo on TV with the doll he was connected with (as many children are with a stuffed toy); he would hold up his Elmo to the TV, smile and laugh. The same type of connection can happen if a child sees their mom, dad or someone/something else close on TV. Young children can understand TV -- just another level than they do later in life. And they can still learn from it (they pick up speech patterns/habits, learn patterns and event cause/effect, action/motion/sound connection, and much more). People under age 2 can watch TV and get something from it.

Gonzo's Goof

Reaction score
I don't know how much less educational it has got. I guess it depends on what aspects you’re talking of it teaching. We never had the world segment that Grover does now, what I have learned some things on that I didn't know. Instead when I was growing up Grover was a waiter talking about some fly in the soup, and there was that guy that danced on the glass in the bathroom never was sure what he was to be teaching. I will say I wish Elmo's world would become it own show to give back 15 min of time. But for all the other stuff of environment and that, remember what time we live in now. If you talk world peace you will have someone boycott you or claim you’re just a liberal show. Heard the other day there is a Boycott for PBS because of Buster Postcards, showing a family with two moms. They also listed SS has one of the shows that parents shouldn't watch because of references. So I think like most entertainment everyone is playing it safe not to look to wishy-washy.

AmazingMumford

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
Don't shout Elmo-lovers, don't shout...

That's not what nostalgia's about...

But, if you cannot take...

The posts that we make...

Turn off your computer and pout.

:smile:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ABC 123 Pigs in a Tree, Don't ever put down Classic Sesame, ABC 123 Drtooth is Mean, come on and sign along with Gee Bee..................

Censored

Reaction score
People never cease to amaze me. They log on here, make a point of reading the posts of people who annoy them, and then complain about it as if we forced it on them. :rolleyes: