Have You Ever Lost A Pet?

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
We lost our 9-1/2 year old German Shepherd today to kidney disease. He had lost a lot of weight and wasn't eating anything. Very listless and Friday night he would just sleep a lot. Knew it wasn't going to be very long. Woke up about 3:00 this morning and he wasn't in the house. He loved spending the night on the back deck and that's where he had gone. I was surprised he made it through the dog door. Spent the rest of the time with him. He wasn't in any pain but we had decided then that in the morning it was time to call the vet in the morning. He passed away about 5:30. We never had to make the tough call to the vet. We were with him when he died and it was very peaceful. Let out a sigh and looked at us and that was it. Can't help but
as I type this.

I spent countless hours throwing a tennis ball to him. He never could get enough and never tired of it. He would bring you a tennis ball and drop it at your feet. If you ignored him he would pick the ball up and drop it again. If you would still ignore him he'd drop it a little closer. After maybe a half a dozen times he would lay down with the ball right next to his nose, give a heavy frustrating huff, and just stare at you. He'd look at you with those dark brown eyes and you'd have to give in. Sometimes he would just raise an eyebrow. I will miss him a lot. He was a good one.

A DOG FOR JESUS​

I wish someone had given Jesus a dog
As loyal and loving as mine
To sleep by His manger and gaze in His eyes
And adore Him for being divine.

As our Lord grew to manhood His faithful dog
Would have followed Him all through the day
While He preached to the crowds and made the sick well
And knelt in the garden to pray.

It is sad to remember that Christ went away
To face death alone and apart
With no tender dog following close behind
To comfort its Master's Heart.

And when Jesus rose on that Easter morn
How happy He would have been
As His dog kissed His hands and barked its delight
For The One who died for all men.

Well, the Lord has a dog now, I just sent Him mine
The old pal so dear to me
And I smile through my tears on this first day alone
Knowing they're in eternity.

Day after day, the whole day through
Wherever my road inclined
Four feet said, "I am coming with you!"
And trotted along behind.

Written By: Rudyard Kipling​

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
Aww, I cried at that poem. I'm so sorry about your dog. I'm glad you didn't have to call the vet though. It's always hard to see a pet slowly decline like that *hugs*

tutter_fan

Reaction score
I know, it's tough to lose someone you love & care about so much. I had to go through that many times in my life. I had a cat named Nubey who was almost to the roots pure black. He was quite a sweet cat. He loved giving me kisses, and would hold conversations with me. He was also a cat who gave hugs. He loved giving me hugs. We had to put him down sometime in the last few months, and I do miss him dearly. One of the most wonderful things about him is that he was always happy. He used to jump in bed with me, and purr me to sleep. In the morning, he'd often jump on my bed a few minutes before my alarm would go off, and when he heard the radio come on, he'd first lick me gently. If that didn't work, he'd start licking me really hard, and then if that didn't work, he'd nudge my face. He was also a talker. I'd say something to him, and he'd say something back. He made me laugh in so many ways, and as a tribute to him, I spend some of my time at either PetsMart, or our local Humane Society. I take care of the cats at the Humane Society by socializing with them, and I feel like I'm their counselor. I feel that my presence there is important. It's a rewarding experience for me to be hugged by a cat I've never met, or for me to get kissed, or massaged by a cat I've never met. To me, cats are special creatures.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
Your cat sounds so nice tutter_fan, reminds me of the cat I have now. Sorry that you had to put him down.
Cat lovers unite! :smile:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Last August I was in the hospital, and the day before I came home our oldest cat, Peanut, passed away. She was 13. Her heart just gave out on her. I miss her dearly but I'm glad she didn't have to suffer long. She had the quietest little "meow" but she could purr like a lawn mower. Peanut kept me company late at night when I was drawing. She would sprawl all over my pages and look up at me with her beautiful green eyes (sigh).

We take in strays whenever we can. Four years ago, a mother cat left one of her newborns behind, and we heard the little guy crying in the bushes. We took him in and named him Buddy. The poor little thing never stopped crying, and try as we might, would never eat anything. I had to forcefeed him to take some formula with an eyedropper, or he would've starved to death. He really needed his mommy, the one thing we couldn't give him. The sound of him crying, and the look of misery on his face would break your heart. Buddy passed away after only four days, but at least we kept him warm and safe. I hope he's happier now in Heaven, and he has Peanut to look after him.

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
I Had A Pet Cat Named Gary But We Had Give Him Away Due To House Issues, They Only Allowed Two Cats, And We Had Three, I Was So Sad When I Had Give Him Away To Another Owner!!, Huh I Think The Year I Gave Him Away Was 2004, It's Still Despressing To Me!!, And Then We Had A Cat Named Peanut Who Sadly Died Over Fighting Another Animal, I Was Depressed At That Also, That Was 2008, Right Now We Have A Chihuahaua Named Paco Who's 5 Right Now, And A Siamese Cat Named Hop Sing Pong And We've Had THIS CAT FOR YEARS And Still Do Have Him, He Originally Had Twin Brother Named Ping, So Back Then He Was Named Pong, Anyways, I Hope They Don't Die Soon

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Not technically a pet, but a tragic story nonetheless.

When I was three, my dad had a friend we called Uncle George who had a big farm with every critter you can imagine. My brother, sister, and I used to viisit Uncle George's farm often and had the time of our lives playing with all the animals. Our favorite was a little woolly lamb named Snowball. I'd feed him carrots, pet him, and he had the cutest little smile on his face. He'd nuzzle up to you and lick your hand, it was heaven.

One day Uncle George came over with a big surprise. We were going to have something special for dinner. We sat down, and there was something on my plate I never saw before. It looked and smelled funny. We all asked "What is this?" Uncle George replied "Mutton chops!" We still didn't get it. (How much do you get when you're three?)
"It's lamb!" When it dawned on me that Snowball was slaughtered and cooked and now he's on my plate...."WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
You couldn't get three little kids to stop crying. Uncle George's big blunder.

That was 1971. The smell and taste of lamb still turns me off. I know you meant well, Uncle George, but man did you goof!

CountFan1998

Reaction score
My pet betta fish, Flipper only lasted a week. I couldn't stop crying.:cry: Then I heard
"Heaven is a Place on Earth" on the radio, and everything got worse.:sympathy: Later that day, my dad got an identical fish that we also named Flipper (II), who's still alive (Don't worry!).
Update: The second Flipper died the week before Spring Break. I was slightly more OK adjusting to the news, but then I just fell apart! :cry: I decided not to get another fish; I just don't want to go through this the third time!:sympathy: