Have you seen celebrities in person?

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Hiya.I've been wanting to post this thread for awhile.Has anybody met,or seen a celebrity in person:at book signings,concerts,play/theater,etc...Here are some of my experiences:

Booksignings/Autograph:
  • Mel Brooks & Carl Reiner;signing their book & cd of their new 2000 Year Old Man
  • Fran Drescher(The Nanny)
  • Davy Jones(The Monkees)
  • Mickey Dolenz & Peter Tork(The Monkees)
Theater/Plays:
  • Jack Klugman(On Golden Pond)
  • Roddy McDowell(Dial M for....)
  • John Corbett(Man of La Mancha)
  • Jerry Lewis(**** Yankees)
  • Nancy Allen(Dial M for...)
  • Theodore Bikel(Fiddler on the Roof)
  • Adrian Zmed(Chicago)
  • Ted Neeley & Carl Anderson(Jesus Christ Superstar)
In person:
  • Kevin Bacon & Kyra Sedgewick(sold them tickets to Flatliners)
In Concert:

• Air Supply
  • The Monkees(Weird Al Yankovic opened for them)
  • Cher
  • B-52's
  • America
  • Paula Abdul
  • Huey Lewis and the News
  • Cyndi Lauper
  • Styx
  • Paul Simon
  • Elton John
  • Teen Idols(Bobby Sherman,David Jones,Peter Noone)
  • Doobie Brothers
  • Boston
  • Creedence Clearwater Revisited
  • Blue Oyster Cult
  • Edgar Winter
  • Eddie Money
  • George Thorogood
  • Jefferson Starship
  • Bette Midler
  • Alanis Morrissette
  • Chicago

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
You met Davy Jones? How cool! He's one groovy guy! And that's quite a list of concerts you've been to. In concert, I've seen the Irish Rovers, Michael Card, Sharon Lois & Bram, Paul Hill, Nichelle Nichols, Livingston Taylor, Gordon Lightfoot, Neil Diamond, Don McLean, Clay Aiken, Art Garfunkel and Simon & Garfunkel. I'm probably missing somebody in that list. Elton John was in Erie but I couldn't get tickets. :frown: We spent all morning on the phone trying to get them, but they sold out super-fast. Oh, well.

I've met and gotten autographs from Nichelle Nichols, the current members of the Irish Rovers (unfortunately after Will, my favorite member, left the group), Don McLean, Handyman Nedry and Speedy McFeely from Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, Al Franken, Jan Brett and a number of authors at college booksignings and the like. I ate lunch a table away from Jamie Farr and William Christopher at Cracker Barrel but didn't have the nerve to approach them. I directed Livingston Taylor to where the cookies were during the intermission of his concert. I got my picture taken with Quark from Deep Space Nine. But the experience I consider really noteworthy is meeting Art Garfunkel after his show in Erie and chatting with him for a few minutes before he autographed my Angel Clare album. Man, would I have loved a picture to commemorate that event!
Erin

King Jim

Reaction score
I remember I met Bob Hope in 1949. I got a autographed photo. Well because I was such a big fan. He was a nice man.

Beebers

Reaction score
I lived until last month in an area of very small towns where the rich/famous keep secondary homes. Have met, dealt with, talked with, worked with, shopped next to:

Conan O'Brien, Meryl Streep, Lynn Redgrave, Ivan Lendl (tennis), Tracy Pollans' brother (writer for New York Times), Sam Waterston's wife (who is lovely and suffers from periodic agoraphobia), Philip Roth (novelist), Patti Lupone (who is Not Sane), Claire Bloom, Frank Oz, several soap-opera stars, Joan Rivers (horrible, snobby, and rude to all); it would take me all day to list them. NYC fashion designers and Wall Street movers/shakers. Pete Seeger at a concert, that was Extremely Cool, with autograph. I could tell you some serious celebrity stories, but I won't because I am nice lol.

:big_grin:

Whatever

Reaction score
Wow, Meryl Streep and Frank Oz!
My only brush with fame is that Jerry Nelson and Carroll Spinney sent me autographs.
And the guy who sings "Old Man River" sang it at my elementary school and I saw it, but he's only really famous in Memphis I think. And there everyone has seen him perform at least once.

Klonoa

Reaction score
At an anime convention in Dallas a long time ago called "Project A-Kon" I met and talked with Don Messick (R.I.P.). He may not sound like a celebrity but most of the voices you hear on classic Hanna Barbera cartoons are his. Scooby Doo, Scrappy, Papa Smurf, Ruff & Reddy, Muttley...the list goes on. He really put on a show for us that day. I'm glad I got to meet him before he passed away. I asked him to do Muttley's laugh, he said he used to could do it better when he used to smoke! Another at this convention that I talked to a lot was Tex Henson, a former Disney animator who worked on things like Chip N Dale cartoons. Later he did Casper at Fleischer, Rocky & Bullwinkle at Jay Ward, and early Trix Rabbit commercials. He's gone now, too. I also met some people who worked on the old TMNT cartoon.

I go to a big trade show in LA every year called the Electronic Entertainment Expo. Or E3 for short. It's where all the video game companies show off their new games for the holidays. Anyone here who's a video gamer probably knows what I'm talking about. It's a big spectacle and since it's in LA a lot of celebrities show up. I don't really get to talk with them too much, but I've brushed elbows with people like Stan Lee, David Crane (creator of Pitfall), the lady who played Agent Scully on X-Files (can't remember her name), Gary Coleman, Tony Hawk, Charles Martinet (the voice of Mario), and others that I can't remember right now. A lot of these video game companies hire out models to dress as video game characters, too. So I've met a lot of 'fake' celebrities, too. No matter how old you are, it's always fun to get your picture taken with Pac-Man, Mario, Pikachu, and Ulala!

Someday I'd like to meet and talk to Shigeru Miyamoto (creator of Donkey Kong, Mario, Zelda), and Toru Iwatani (creator of Pac-Man).

--Klonoa

Dr. Bombay

Reaction score
I saw Chris Isaak and Steve Young at the airport. I just met and had my picture taken with Kimberly Caldwell, one of the finalists of "American Idol" season 2, and I sort of met Charro...well, she waved at me when she was leaving the auditorium where I was.

Concerts I've been to:

• Paula Abdul
  • John Denver
  • Alanis Morrisette
  • Season Three American Idol tour
  • Styx
  • Nelson

I also spoke to Dave Atell when my friends and I weren't able to get into his show because the tickets had sold out. He was outside smoking before hand. He was way cool.

I keep in contact by letters or email with Bernard Fox who played Dr. Bombay on Bewitched.

I've also met and had lunch with Herbie J Pilato, the author of Bewitched Forever and other books.

In about a month though, I'm planning to meet Paula Abdul at a meet n greet in Columbus, OH....I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes as planned.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Beebers said:
I lived until last month in an area of very small towns where the rich/famous keep secondary homes. Have met, dealt with, talked with, worked with, shopped next to:

Conan O'Brien, Meryl Streep, Lynn Redgrave, Ivan Lendl (tennis), Tracy Pollans' brother (writer for New York Times), Sam Waterston's wife (who is lovely and suffers from periodic agoraphobia), Philip Roth (novelist), Patti Lupone (who is Not Sane), Claire Bloom, Frank Oz, several soap-opera stars, Joan Rivers (horrible, snobby, and rude to all); it would take me all day to list them. NYC fashion designers and Wall Street movers/shakers. Pete Seeger at a concert, that was Extremely Cool, with autograph. I could tell you some serious celebrity stories, but I won't because I am nice lol.

:big_grin:
Cool stuff. Is that shopped with Frank Oz, Beeber?

BTW, does this mean you've moved to that church place now?

Malachy

Reaction score
I once saw Counrtney Cox and David Arquette out in Vegas.

Beebers

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
Cool stuff. Is that shopped with Frank Oz, Beeber?

BTW, does this mean you've moved to that church place now?
Hi, Beau. *hugging Beau, don't everybody be lookin', now*

I did not Ozshop but have conversed. Out here in the boonies he is one of the Very Few Celebrities who is well-regarded by the locals. One nasty celebrity habit is that of treating locals of the little towns they move into as if they are dirt on the Celebrity Shoe, but Oz is not among those. When he's out here he is very, very quiet, soft-spoken, self-effacing, not comfortable when recognized, unfailingly courteous, and will chat with anyone wishing to chat with him but does not court it. We have an unspoken rule that we don't pester for autographs and chat in this area, we don't pester at all, which is a part of why we end up with so many ****** celebrities; so I don't have a bureau full of autographs, I find the idea of asking intrusive and gauche and I really don't care that much anyway but that's just me. However, shopping, I have had lengthy discussions with Lynn Redgrave over grocery store prices and coupons when we are both looking at the shelves and wondering how prices ever got so high, standing there in our sweats and dungarees wondering if we really want to spend the money. She's adorable. As I say, I could tell some stories. Many many stories.

Beau, the church thing, geez, I'm sorry. I've been busy falling in love with somebody for the past month. But the church thing is still trying to happen and I will tell you about it, just let me glue my brain back in a day or two.

:smile: