Help Needed with Sesame Street Characters

dwmckim

Reaction score
Bip Bippadotta is basically Mahna Mahna Version 2.0. Mahna Mahna had existed prior to Sesame Street and they brought him on to do the classic routine for Sesame's first season (though he was a weird looking anything Muppet on this appearance.) Then they had Mahna Mahna sing more songs in the 70's - this time with a closer look to the original puppet (with the green vest and all) but it was still an anything muppet made to look Mahna Mahna-ish.

Then as a bonified Muppet classic, they had gave Mahna Mahna the honor of being one of The Muppet Show's first opening numbers. (This time with the original puppet). Mahna pretty much became a "Muppet Show" Muppet at that point. Since with the exception of Kermit, they didn't want to do a lot of crossovers between Sesame/Muppet Show characters, in the late 70's. they redesigned the Sesame version of Mahna Mahna (same overall basic look with the main difference being big sunglasses instead of eyes - the mannerism and voice remained the same) and called the "new" character Bip Bipadotta.

So it's basically the same character redesigned.

The best way to differentiate between Mr Johnson and SImon Soundman is that Simon has black hair and Mr Johnson's is brown.

dwmckim

Reaction score
ssetta

That is really cool that you know Chris - he's definately an extraordinarily talented man (some might remember my Official Chris Cerf Appreciation Thread on the newsgroup!) Not only as a songwriter and voice, but in many ways outside of his Henson involvement!

That's a shame that his leaving Sesame was not of his own choice - how could one NOT like Chris' music? Blasphemy!! At least they had the courtesy to bring him back to deliver a speaking line to Patti Labelle when she sang the alphabet song!

Chris Cerf is one of the things that made Classic Sesame Street CLASSIC Sesame Street. If anyone feels that SS has been on a decline over the last decage, there's a pretty glaring testimony to so much of what's wrong right there!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Round 5

Thanks to all who've assisted me with my research. I have a few more questions for Round 5, though I haven't asked much lately. Here are the questions.
1 Who is Baby Bree Bop A Do? If possible, what does he look like?
2 There was a sketch parody of MTV, Music Television, called NTV. Does anyone remember the name of the host of NTV and the name of the rock band whose music video aired during this segment?
3 Who is Fenwick? If possible, what does he look like?
4 Who is Pamela? If possible, what does she look like?
5 Who is Rosemary? If possible, what does she look like?
Once again, I applaud the efforts of all those who respond to my queries in the hopes of completing my master Muppet listing.

The Killer of Threads, the Count.

ssetta

Reaction score
dwmckim

It was the executive producer, Michael Loman, who didn't like his music. He just wasn't a fan of rock and roll, he liked broadway musicals, and show tunes. And also, he didn't necessarily hate it, but he didn't think it was good for the show, because it was for older kids than were watching the show. I did notice that they phased out most of Chris's songs, especially his rock songs, before they phased out the other stuff. I mean, Michael Loman isn't even there anymore, so I don't know what will happen. But I mean, his songs certainly don't fit the new format.

Clean Gultch

Reaction score
Can Mahna and Bip only say there names? If so, then whos singing Fat Cat?

TravellingMatt

Reaction score
Baby Bree Bop A Doo was the green Anything Muppet (also used for Farley, Sherlock Hemlock, and Little Jerry), only made to be female. She was one of Roosevelt Franklin's pals.

I remember a character named Fenwick, he appeared in a Guy Smiley skit, but I don't remember what he looked like. I think he was performed by Jerry Nelson.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, we've arrived at another batch of quick questions for Round 6!

1 What's the name of the Duck who appeared on Sesame Street? Is he named Mallard Duck or just The Duck? I thought that he'd be named Quacker or Quackers since that's the sound he always made when speaking to other characters, but I could be wrong.
2 What's the name of Mr. Johnson's brother? Is it Sam or Simon the Sounds Man? I always thought it was Sam, because that's how he's named in the Who's Who books.
3 Was the Two-Headed Monster, originally voiced by Richard Hunt and Jerry Nelson and now voiced by Dave Goels and David Rudman, originally named either Frank and Stein or Horn and Hardark?
4 What's the name of a female Anything Muppet who had an orange cylindrical head and looked like a spoof of Mary Popins?
5 Who are Hardhead Henry Harris, Marty and Smart Tina? Please describe either what these characters looked like or what they were like.

That's all the questions for now, cause if I post any more it'll kill the thread.
The Count.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I thought that the TWO headed Monster was now performed by Joey Mazarino (sp) and David Rudman...

Actually, Smart Tina and Hard head Harris were also Roosevelt Franklin's buddies. Hard Head was a blue anything Muppet (like Little Chrissy or Fat Blue) with black hair, sunglasses, and (I think) a yellow ball nose. At the top of my head, Smart Tina was a Purple (or pink) AM with glasses. Can't remember her hair, I think it was black and frizzy, Have to look it up in the Unpaved book.

As for Little Chrissy's backups, they were different in Count it higher. One was green, and had black hair (same head as Little Jerry) a red nose and a vacant look on his face (incase you want to know, he kept stealing one of the singer's lines). The next was a pink one, same look but blonde hair and a green nose. And a short little goofy looking one (a hand puppet similar to Prairie) with blonde wacky hair, and a green nose. Looked like a real schlameel!

And Little Jerry's Back ups, one kept changing (the little pink one). One point, his head was smaller, and he had no nose!

Drtooth

Reaction score
A correction

Hard Head harris has a GREEN nose, and Smart tina has like a curly hair that stands up. Her head is more like the pink Back up singer for Little Jerry, than Kermit!

hope this helps

ssetta

Reaction score
Originally posted by Drtooth
(incase you want to know, he kept stealing one of the singer's lines).
What exactly did he do?