Henson Exits Muppet House Post

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
It's also similar to when Jim was selling to Disney so that he can concentrate on more of the creative stuff (AT the company) and not do any management responsibilities. Is that the case here? I don't really what Jim's official title was.

AruggeRadio

Reaction score
Wow

Wow. To me this is sort of mind boggling but I guess I can see why. One thing Jim always said is that he would like to get away from business end of things and just concentrate on the creative, I believe this is what Brian is doing by steeping down from an official business position at JHC. This also makes me believe that the purchase is close (within the next 2 to 3 weeks) and that it probably is going to go Charles.

This is a smart move by the company, it makes it look as thought it is a new investor group that will run the company with a new philosophy. With Brian steeping down as Chairman (Which I believe was only truly a title) this may make it look as thought the Henson’s are going back into what they do best which is creating programming (Which may be more attractive to investors that the Brian are focusing back on product and letting businessmen handle the business).

On the other hand this could be kind of scary. What dose it mean? Is JHC going to be sold to someone that would make Brian kind of like what Ted Turner is in AOL-Time Warner someone with a lot of stock but no power?

I think though in the long run this could work out for the best overall for the company. I don’t believe this means Brian is going to leave JHC at all, I just believe he is now going to concentrate on creating new product instead of being bogged down with the business end of this. That is what a lot of us have been saying for some time is there needs to be Muppet product. And if they are going to survive as a company they need to be producing something to make money with otherwise the company will not survive under any circumstance. We will just have to see. This will be an interesting next few weeks lets just hope everything works out for the best in the long run.

AruggeRadio

Reaction score
One More thing

I'm sure everything will work out for the best in the end. No matter if Brian dose leave the company.

Bean Bunny

Reaction score
Rivikin's ability

If Rivikin get the company and I would kind of worried. For the record, I have not seen any outstanding thing he has done for the company. Things like Denny's commerial is well and good but Henson need to look at the long run.

On personal opinion, Disney would be much better choice since for one, it would get alot of media attention and they have alot to back the Muppets up with.

danielromens

Reaction score
He's staying on as a producer on Farscape and is developing work for Henson pictures.>

<<Yeah Daniel - but if you read in between the lines, he is going from 100% work at the Henson Company to around 5%. 'Developing' means somewhere between pitching and pre-production - not exactly duties of heavy proportions, especially as Henson Pictures don't have any movie deals.>>>

I actually try not to read between the lines, as that leads to assumptions which in this case seem conspiritory and paranoid. Why is it when something shifts in the company everyone thinks the worst. Not only that but, as we see in this case, suddenly, due to what are a few worrysome and overvelous opinions rather than fact, everyone thinks Brian is leaving completely, yet he is merely because he wants a different position and to put his energy where he thinks it will be better utilized.

Also, you seem a bit misinformed in your info. How do you get your numbers man? Do you have any idea how much work goes into pitches and preproduction. It is EXACTLY heavy duty work. I go to school for double major in theatre/art and a minor in Film. It's a lot of tedious work. The prep for each of those areas is emmence and I'm a mere student. To get one final project done a group of ten of us did marathon shooting/'editing for over a week and did not sleep for three days during that. As an artist I get really annoyed with those who think creativity is lazy mans work. The people who take those preproduction jobs have to know the product inside and out, because you get grilled by business jerks who know nothing more that figures and the bottom line, and nil about artistry. If you don't have the stuff to back your pitches and ideas you look like a fool, so trust me Brian will be busy. Look at all the work Ken Lilly has done and that's for a set of action figures. Now translate that to a million dollor production. The math seems a little different now doesn't it?

<< So we are left with him Exec Producing Farscape (which he was already doing) and the Muppet Xmas TV Movie. Exec producers sit around all day doing nothing most of the time. >>

Producers also have to find the means to get things done. Again, I'm not sure you realize a lot of the duties and time it takes for these positions. Yes I'm sure it has it's kushy aspects as well but until you actually experience the work, I think it's unfair to talk as expert.

<<<This is basically a nice way of Brian leaving without too much fuss and at a time that leaves him with his dignity intact - yes, he can still have a hand in the machine with a couple of projects, but things will likely quiet down even more once the sale happens.>>

Again, where in that article did it say he was leaving. It's not like he has nothing else to work on. That is what I mean by the conspriritory thinking here. Why not think the best. Why can Jim want less business responsibility to concentrate on creative endevors and he's a genius, where as Brian is said to be trying to hold his dignity. Let the guy work. I say more power to him, and let him do the things he likes doing. The more experience and freedom he has thinking creatively, the quicker the ideas come. It's like anything you have to enter a certain mindset and practice in the brain. It's hard to do that and balance business at the same time.

I for one want to be part of an entertainment company some day and have absolutely no desire to worry about the business. Let the accountants and guys in suits do that. I have a lot of respect for what Brian is doing. I think if you actually experience some of these things you'll see that he could end up being as busy as ever. Not only that but creation is just as stressful. In this business you also have to try to create something people want to see and stand up for your ideas to men who know nothing about art.

Food for thought.

Daniel Romens

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
You know what? I've always had this feeling way back in my head, that, even though I really really want Disney to buy Henson, I kind of have this feeling that, what IF Disney didn't? After all these articles and all that "false" talk that was all over the Delphi board late last year (something called a press release), Rivkin, one of Disney's U.S. rivals, or (yet) another European/British company buys Henson. Which would **** me off for years to come.

Here's hoping...

radionate

Reaction score
I agree Daniel, you said it very well!!!!!

BRAVO!!!

Tera

Reaction score
I'm choose to believe that Brian is stepping down as CEO to do more creative work. Yes, it probably has something to do with the sale as well, but that doesn't mean what was said in the press release wan't true.
Aside from that, I can't blame the man for wanting to do something else. Its not a position I would want to hold.
I think Brian is a very talented and creative individual, and I hope his change in title lets us see more of his work.

Luke

Reaction score
Daniel,

I guess you were unaware of this but actually where you are in school learning about Theatre and Art actually my job IS in TV - i've been doing it for five or six years now, and actually i DO work in programme development, in fact, light entertainment development - so i've probably got one of the better ideas here of what exactly goes into making a TV show or movie, and there are also others both here and at 'Toughpigs' who also have that kind of experience and will likely tell you the same as i will.

<<How do you get your numbers man? >>

Well Daniel, actually a good part of my job over the last couple of years has consisted of helping producers, writers and executive producers develop their pitches into shows and search out all the elements that will go together to make the final show, i also work on my own ideas at times too. I think i've probably got a good idea by now of how much participation each person in a production team has in developing a project. Yes, a lot of work goes into it, but i think you are confusing the executive producer's role with that of the producers. The exec producer does indeed have the guiding hand over things and takes the lead in meetings etc, but the day to day work is substaintially less, which is how Brian managed to act as Chairman, and earlier as CEO of the Henson Company. I'm not saying he sits back all day lazing around in his armchair though.

Basically, what i was trying to do was read between the lines and give my personal viewpoint. I didn't imply that Brian was leaving now, i meant that taking a backseat now makes it less dramatic IF he did decide to leave the company whenever a sale happens which he might not be happy about. I know as you say, you prefer not to read between the lines but take it from someone who does this all for a real job, 99% of what press releases contain is total c-r-a-p - they are basically tools to persuade the public and the media world to see things from their viewpoint, and this is usally not the truth. Cast your mind back to the Henson/EMTV sale when a joint press release from EMTV/JHC implied that Haffa had thought up the idea to do a 'New Muppet Show' and told Brian Henson about it on a plane journey. This was total trash designed to make people feel like 'The Muppets' were going to be in capable hands.

Being a film student Daniel, you are totally right that a lot of work goes into film pre-production, and yes, i probably underplayed it because i have a mostly TV background, but i do still think you are over-estimating the Exec producers role, and also not thinking specifically about the situation within the Henson company. They don't have any movie deals right now, and very little money, so development or pre-production on any of these projects could only move so far right now, while the 'suits' sort things out.

So anyhow, i totally stick by what i said - Brian was already exec producing Farscape so his workload there hasn't changed, and without the company having the right backing or resources (and it no longer being his job to get them) i'd imagine that this film pitching isn't exactly overworking Brian just yet.

<<I for one want to be part of an entertainment company some day and have absolutely no desire to worry about the business. Let the accountants and guys in suits do that.>>

You probably aren't going to get far with that attitude until you are well established within the industry. Nowdays its more important to know and partipate in the business side of the process, especially to be either a producer or executive producer. If you went to an entertainment company and said that, you wouldn't get the job - trust me on that, i've been there myself.

<<until you actually experience the work, I think it's unfair to talk as expert.>>

Daniel - you have some great things to say, especially your second to last paragraph where you taked about ideas coming quicker when the mind is free of other matters, and also about the creative/ideas process. You just basically need to get out there for yourself and see that the media isn't like they say it is in the textbooks - but for now i'd take your own advice.

danielromens

Reaction score
Luke

Hold on a second while I get my foot out of my mouth...ah there we go. Anyway, now knowing you work in TV I see you have some experience in the area after all. I still don't think you have a handle on Brian's motivation though. I do think the sale does probably play a little part, but I have a feeling him stepping down is more to stay with the company than to leave. As has been said if there is a sale, the good business people are probably in more danger of being outed than the creative folks. Accountants and pencil pushers are a dime a dozen, whereas qualified puppeteers and builders and artists are a little more unique. True artists are found everywhere but artists with an understanding of a product are not.

Do I think Brian is a genius, not exactly. Do I think the current helm of writers are geniuses, no I don't. I think the main problem with the product and it's success is the vision behind it. With Muppets Tonight we were given a product that tried to play on what was there in the audience already, not anything new. Brian and friends need to find a vision of their own if they want Kermit and friends to ever make it again. This was something that I felt was very much present in the live show. They were working together for what seemed to be a common feeling, a show dedicated to their fallen mentor. If they take that spirit with them in future projects, I think they will be more of a success than recently. In some of the more recent projects, espectially Muppets Tonight, I think the problem is they try to hard. They took a lot of what was real in the characters and made them into their own stereotypes. The live show had a simple, humble, genuine feeling that the newer projects lack. I think MCC had it, as well as a few moments in MFS, but the others did not.

What Bri needs to concentrate on is the right kind of projects to get that feeling back. I think what made Jim's work such a success was his love of the collaboration of people. The fact that Jerry left for disputes on MFS tells us right there that that is something that is missing. I think it's the same thing the current Disney work lacks as well. Call a universal excitement for a work of art. It's what makes Pixar such a success. When you have a group of people who like what they're doing and the people they do it with, it shows in the product. It's also why I don't like the idea of Henson/Disney, as the puppeteers already stated their feelings of animosity. Jim had something special and brought in people who he had the same vibe. I think they can get that back. Here's hoping.

Daniel Romens