Henson sells Muppets to Disney

What do you think of Disney buying the Muppets and Bear?

• It's great! Disney can keep the Muppets alive and visible.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • It's awful! The Muppets will go downhill and quality will suffer.

Votes: 87 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Struble

Reaction score
sarah_yzma said:
Call me insane, but wouldn't it be pretty good if Disney treated the Muppets similar to Pooh?
So, what you're saying is that you're in favor of Disney recreating the Muppets in their own image? I mean, that's what they did to Pooh. Pooh is almost wholely unrecognizable from it's origins. I love Disney's Pooh, but it really has nothing to do with the original... which of course they were only lincensing. *sighs*

Struble

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM , THATS REALLY ALL I CAN SAY ABOUT THIS SITUATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :concern:

BornBlue

Reaction score
The Jury's Out

I'm torn. I'm scared. I'm happy. I don't know how to react. :confused:

I have always thought of the Muppets as a more adult brand. The buyout by Disney represents more "Muppet Classical Theater"... Kiddie Stuff. If the puppeteers and writers can manage to keep the characters personalities intact and it will mean wider exposure for the Muppet stuff that has already been produced, then I am down with the deal. If it means the Muppets will be trod through every property from "Pigderella" to "Snow White and the Seven Prawn", I'm not. (On second thought, they COULD be made funny.) I was not a huge fan of Treasure Island and The Christmas Carol only because I have preferred my Muppets to be themselves (of course, I still own those movies). :concern:

I suppose we just have to wait and see. :eek:

DrummerMan

Reaction score
Well... at least there is one thing to smile about

According to one Walt Disney Imagineering insider:

"Now we can finally dust off all those plans for all those great attractions and shows that Jim Henson himself had a hand in creating -- 'The Great Muppet Movie Ride,' 'Gonzo's Pandemonium Pizza Parlor.' This deal is going to be huge for Disney's theme parks. Particularly Disney-MGM and DCA … Ohmigod! DCA! We can actually do 'Miss Piggy's Superstar Limo' now!? Trust me, this is gonna be great."

Now... if we can just get rid of Eisner and get someone with creativity at the helm...

dmx10101

Reaction score
Well, the news was in my local papers business section today. It was with the new Disney, Comcast buyout news.

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
Oh dear gosh. Well look at the bright side: now the only major catastrophe in the future is Armigedon!

It's amazing how much depression and anxiety Disney just forced upon the optimism Jim's creativity encouraged. I hate Disney with all my heart and most of yours, but we can't let their negativity spoil the positivism Jim spent his life inspiring in us.

The biggest short-term question I have is will the still be called "Jim Henson's Muppets"? Will we get to see the "Jim Henson Productions" screen at the beginning of their films?

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
DrummerMan said:
According to one Walt Disney Imagineering insider:

"Now we can finally dust off all those plans for all those great attractions and shows that Jim Henson himself had a hand in creating -- 'The Great Muppet Movie Ride,' 'Gonzo's Pandemonium Pizza Parlor.' This deal is going to be huge for Disney's theme parks. Particularly Disney-MGM and DCA … Ohmigod! DCA! We can actually do 'Miss Piggy's Superstar Limo' now!? Trust me, this is gonna be great."

You just made me smile big-time. Thanks!

:big_grin:

Aaron

Reaction score
so by march disney owns us (the fans) not the site

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
As much as I love the Muppets, I don't think this is just a ploy for Eisner to keep his job. Obviously, the Muppets are one of the most important brands Disney has ever acquired (if not the most important) but if this is all Eisner has up his sleeve to fend off angry shareholders he's in a lot of trouble.

I think the important part of this deal is that it ensures the Muppet's visibility over the longterm. The economics of the media world have changed several times over since the original deal was struck and if we want more a lot more Muppet projects the company's options were limited. The reality is that Muppet Movies don't bring in the millions that other properties like Pixar's do (though they'd certainly do a lot better if they were properly handled) and Disney can provide the kind of "vertical integration" a property like the Muppets desperately need.

I just hope Disney will continue to maintain the JHC's high standards for quality.

Reaction score
*reads article* *runs off sobbing hysterically*
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!