1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Henson sells Muppets to Disney

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by samtheeagle, Feb 17, 2004.

?

What do you think of Disney buying the Muppets and Bear?

Poll closed May 17, 2004.
  1. It's great! Disney can keep the Muppets alive and visible.

58 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. It's awful! The Muppets will go downhill and quality will suffer.

87 vote(s)
    60.0%

1. Mark Filton

Mark Filton New Member

WHAT WOULD I DO???

Take a risk :D

Find somebody COOL and talented. The guy who directed Muppets From Space was a big nobody. Go look at his bio in the IMDB.

Is there not ONE COOL and talented guy to direct? Get a moron nobody, and get a moron movie, people don't like it, others won't fund another....what do you expect?

"Oh, our company is in trouble!" Yes, because you manage it into the ground!

Maybe get the Fraggle gang together one more time. Jim only had a small role in perfroming, as did Richard. A Fraggle movie would be a good project.

Or a Muppet Movie with some INTERESTING cameo choices. Muppets From Space: Oh, look, it's Hulk Hogan acting like a wrestler! What a surprise!

GIve ANYBODY a chance to at least TRY to do something sophisiticated. It might pay off, but you have to try :D

That's just my suggestion
  2. McFraggle

McFraggle Active Member

I agree, there has to be somebody original who can bring fresh life into these characters.
  3. Dash X

Dash X New Member

So what exactly did happen in the early nineties, leading to the suprisingly entertaining 'Muppets at Walt Disney World', did a buyout happen then?, did it fall through?, or was it a distribution thing?
  4. gen

gen New Member

what is happening over there?

:halo: Hi guys long time no talk to you all.Just a quick question on the sale of the muppets does this mean that Disney will have them for ever or until they decide to sell them?And there has been no mention of Palisadies does there contract have to be renewed to go into next year or is this year the last and is that why the Vets hospital was cancelled?
    Speak soon :flirt:
  5. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

:) FOREVER!!!! :crazy: I hardy think Mickey (Disney) spend over $60,000 just to use them for a bit and then get rid of em! The Mouse has been wating almost 15 years for this to happend...so, my guess is NO they WILL NEVER the Muppets! :halo:
  6. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

I believe Disney bought the Muppets (and Bear) for a more hefty price than $60,000.
  7. JaniceFerSure

JaniceFerSure Active Member

Disney buy/taking over Muppets

<shudder>This makes me so sad.Disney hasn't really had a hit movie or project for so long.I wonder what will happen to the Muppets now?<sigh> :cry:
  8. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

What are you talking about? 2003 was one of their best years ever in terms of box office with Pirates of the Caribbean, Freaky Friday, and especially (Pixar's) Finding Nemo. Now, I'm not saying that all things are rosy at Disney, particularly with the video sequels, the Pixar breakup, and the end of theatrical hand-drawn animation. But the Muppets have a better chance with the distribution and exposure at Disney. The jury's still out on whether the product will be quality stuff, we don't KNOW yet, but the Muppets will be given a better shot of success than they were before.
  9. McFraggle

McFraggle Active Member

I think the Muppets will be more heavily promoted and marketed than they possibly ever have. Disney spent $60 million and they want to reap their investment. Disney may have its faults, but it is still one of the premier family brands. By Disney owning the Muppets it gives them more chances to be seen and introduced to new generations. This will certainly be better for the brand than the Pizza Hut commercial, because new fans will learn more about the individual muppets. I think in a few years, the Muppets and Bear will be promoted similar to the Mickey and Pooh brands, even if it is on a lesser scale.
  10. Luke

Luke Active Member

I think quite possibly in a few years the Muppets could be promoted far heavier than Mickey or Pooh, it's just how long that lasts that is more the question. Diz have so many brands to push sometimes they have to wait their turn to make sure they aren't competing with each other. From what we are about to see (Muppets announcing Wizard Of Oz, and that they are now with Disney) on the Jessica and Nick show it seems Disney is happy for them continuing to appear as pop culture icons alongside "current" celebrities of the day so i'm not so sure we have seen the last of the "Pizza Hut" style campaigns. I guess it will take a while and a lot of work to get the characters back on a level with the mainstream public where they can draw a big audience by themselves.
  11. McFraggle

McFraggle Active Member

I agree Luke, plus there is a sizable percentage of kids under say 10, who don't really know who the Muppets are. Aside from Muppets in Space and commercials, a lot of the younger kids don't really "know" Kermit and the gang. They might know Kermit as the guy on Sesame Street more than Kermit from the Muppet Show.
  12. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

He can always co-host "Jimmy Kimmel" again. :)
  13. lowercasegods

lowercasegods Member

Seriously, if anyone could clear this up for me, I'd really appreciate it. As a Muppet fan for the better part of thirty years now, I'd always felt like I had a pretty firm grasp on the Henson company's thought process. But it totally confuses me as to why Brian Henson and his siblings felt the need to sell the Muppets to Disney in the first place. Or for that matter, why the need to sell the Muppets to anyone? Jim ran the company himself. Why can't they? It just seems to me that if everyone's so concerned about maintaining the integrity and history of these characters, then why sell them off to someone else? It's like saying I want my kid to be raised a certain way and to retain my own values, then giving him away to a whole other set of parents with their own agenda (keep in mind that I'm a child of adoption who has a happy relationship with both sets of parents, so that wasn't intended as a negative connotation). I hope I'm not coming across as ill informed or ignorant on the subject. I just don't see why Brian Henson has been so anxious to pass the Muppets off to Disney, especially after an anxious buy-back from that German company. It just seems suspicious and confusing.
  14. Mark Filton

Mark Filton New Member

Low case goods, I feel the same. It's like giving your kid away :D

Everybody says the HEnson kids need their own lives. Well, fine, but it is a tragedy that they want to turn their back on something so wonderful.

And yes, Disney IS SO BIG that they can afford a few million bucks to buy something just to eliminate the competition. What do they care for a few million?

I don't trust Disney one bit.
  15. AndyWan Kenobi

AndyWan Kenobi Active Member

I'm sure they'll get right on that, right after they get a time machine, crash a ship in Roswell, help assassinate several U.S. presidents, and fake the moon landing.

;)
  16. McFraggle

McFraggle Active Member

My 500th post.

I'm more optimistic about the Disney deal than you are. I think that the Henson kids are the least of Mickey's problems. They are probably more worried about Pixar than they are the Muppets. With that being said, I think the Muppets could reach more new fans than they have in a long time. Many of us grew up with the Muppets, and I hope that when I have kids that they will have the opportunity to like them and watch them as well. :)
  17. Beebers

Beebers New Member

roflroflroflroflroflroflroflroflroflrofl

:cool:
  18. MJTaylor

MJTaylor Member

I would have thought that The Great Muppet Caper was Muppet Movie 2.

I don't know how I feel about this as I can see valid points on both sides of the augement.
  19. LiLdUcKy

LiLdUcKy New Member

Well, I think it's a great idea! I mean, millions of kids watch Disney because adults know that it's a great program for growing kids. That means it will be many more kids' favorite show!
  20. PiggyPerson

PiggyPerson New Member

I like disney, i'm a fan but the truth is . . . they wont do well with the muppets :( They'll turn them into a money making scheme. What Jim Henson would of liked 15 years ago can't be done now because Disney 15 years ago is dead :cry: