Hey Arnold!: The Jungle Movie premieres tonight at 7pm/6pm central on Nick!

Did you like the special?

• Meh, could've been much better

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

animalrescuer

Reaction score
I liked it a lot. It reminded me that I really need to start watching Hey, Arnold! again. The only thing that I complained about was Helga’s parents. Mom being an alcoholic and Dad being a workaholic and both favoring her sister Olga over Helga, I never paid that much attention to that as a kid, but now as an adult, they really frustrate me.

Overall, I enjoyed it! As for a reboot, I think the movie is a fitting ending to a great Nick series, I don’t think it needs a reboot.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I liked it a lot. It reminded me that I really need to start watching Hey, Arnold! again. The only thing that I complained about was Helga’s parents. Mom being an alcoholic and Dad being a workaholic and both favoring her sister Olga over Helga, I never paid that much attention to that as a kid, but now as an adult, they really frustrate me.
At least Bob remembered Helga's name this time.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Bob Pataki is nothing but a giant ***hole and I never felt sorry for Miriam because she chose to drop out of college to marry a guy who ended up being a real jerk.

I think the reason Olga is a perfectionist is because she knows how dysfunctional her family is.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I haven't really had nostalgic desire to revisit stuff from my Nickelodeon days, but I gave this a watch any way.

It was pretty fine. I don't know how it would've hooked today's kids, totally unfamiliar with the original show, into the show. I thought everyone turning on Arnold was a little underdeveloped. And things felt a little rushed at times.

I might be of an unpopular opinion that I'm not 100% on Arnold/Helga being an item.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I might be of an unpopular opinion that I'm not 100% on Arnold/Helga being an item.
Yeah, I like Helga being in love with Arnold. It's kind of the premise of the show. But the prospect of Arnold ever liking her never sat right with me. I mean, sure there were a few instances of her being nice to him, but that's it, just a few! And I guess Helga became a little less mean over time, but c'mon. There's just, so little development in their relationship to warrant Arnold actually deciding to be with her, even if he did have a crush on her. When you think about it, Lila really was the person he deserved to end up with. Heck, he was closer with Sid, Stinky, and Harold than he was with Helga.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I don't really ship things when it comes to this show, which is very much unserialized anyway.

All I remember is that Helga just has an unhealthy obsession with him because he was nice to her when other people weren't. I don't see any reason he should have any feelings for her.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
All I remember is that Helga just has an unhealthy obsession with him because he was nice to her when other people weren't. I don't see any reason he should have any feelings for her.
Exactly! I don't see why crushes automatically have to go both ways on kid shows, even if it feels forced.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I missed the first ten minutes and had to miss the last hour, but I liked what I saw.

TV Tropes' YMMV page lists an alternate character intepretation regarding the scene where the bad guy refuses to give the main characters the wifi password, mentioning the possibilities that he's either refusing to be petty or to keep them from using social media to ask for help. When I saw that scene, all I got from it was that he wanted to keep them from contacting authorities (though even without wifi, couldn't they have still been able to contact their parents by texting or calling?). The way it's written there, with the possibility of contacting help being the last thing listed, seems as if we're supposed to think it was just to be mean to them, but I didn't think that when I saw the scene.

One of the first scenes I saw was when Helga and Phoebe are at the beepers store looking at all the video footage of Arnold that Helga secretly shot over the years. So was there a scene where Helga lets Phoebe know her secret? While it was sometimes hinted on the show that Phoebe knew, Helga didn't tell her and she never let Helga knew that she knew.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
TV Tropes' YMMV page lists an alternate character intepretation regarding the scene where the bad guy refuses to give the main characters the wifi password, mentioning the possibilities that he's either refusing to be petty or to keep them from using social media to ask for help. When I saw that scene, all I got from it was that he wanted to keep them from contacting authorities (though even without wifi, couldn't they have still been able to contact their parents by texting or calling?). The way it's written there, with the possibility of contacting help being the last thing listed, seems as if we're supposed to think it was just to be mean to them, but I didn't think that when I saw the scene.
I saw it as a joke. Nothing more. :smile:

Incidentally, yeah, I agree that everyone turning on Arnold felt a bit underdeveloped. More like something that was just there for the sake of having conflict between Arnold and everyone else. There wasn't much reason behind it.

Oh, and having watched it a second time, I noticed that during a crowd scene in San Lorenzo, we can see Mr. Hyunh and his daughter, The Jolly Olly Man, Robert, Monkey Man, and Officer Pudney. Or perhaps look-alikes of them. Random.

Last edited: