Hoots the Owl appreciation thread

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Princeton said:
Call me crazy, but I believe that on the more recent Elmo's World's, Elmo is voiced by John Tartaglia. Is that true?
I find that hard to believe. Elmo's one of Kevin's trademark characters. I don't think he'd be replaced anytime soon. I do remember hearing somewhere that John worked Elmo's left arm. Maybe that's what you're thinking of.

Effralyo

Reaction score
SesameStreetGuy said:
Hoots is the man yall, it was awesome I'm sure when the character was in in the 80s, as he was a hot character back than. Appeared in a lot of street stories, and people know him well probably for "Put Down The Duckie".
Including me. That was the first episode with him I had seen.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
I know, that was a great song, Kevin's still performing, why don't we see Hoots around anymore

BEAR

Reaction score
Gonzo14 said:
I know, that was a great song, Kevin's still performing, why don't we see Hoots around anymore

Yeah, I don't see why they don't use him more these days. He is an obvious vehicle for cool musical numbers and especially in the jazz genre. Clash is still there, why doesn't he do more characters besides Elmo. If I were him, I'd be bored. Its kind of the same with Jerry Nelson. Aside from random Anything Muppets and whatnots, The Count is all he ever does. We see Herry a lot but never hear his voice anymore. Its strange and sad. Everyone else still actively performs all their main characters except these two.

Carroll Spinney has his two main characters. Big Bird and Oscar, and they are there all the time.
Fran Brill is always performing both Prairie and Zoe.
David Rudman performs Baby Bear and now Cookie Monster.
Eric Jacobson has taken over Bert and Grover.
Steve Whitmire does Ernie and Kermit (when he was still on SS)
Martin Robinson performs Telly and Snuffy.
Joey Mazzarino does a bunch of little characters here and there but nothing big. He is also a writer on the show though, so his plate is already full.

Rosita is Carmen Osbahr's only character. I wonder why this is. Maybe her voice isn't as versatile or something to play different characters. I dunno.

Censored

Reaction score
One skit I'll always remember with Hoots is where he sings "Birdland" at his club. This skit stands out for me because it originally had David in the audience (he may have been the only human there). After 1990, they still showed this skit, but the scenes with David were replaced with additional muppet shots.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Hoots was also kind of a mentor for Savion Glover when he was new to the cast. Savion wanted to show his stuff and dance at Birdland, but had to wash dishes and mop the floor. Hoots kept promising that if you keep practicing, and pay your dues, some day you will get your chance to shine.
Nice gentle subtle message to teach kids: nothing comes easy, but if you persevere and commit yourself to it, all your dreams can come true.
And Savion's career really took off soon after.

BEAR

Reaction score
fuzzygobo said:
Hoots was also kind of a mentor for Savion Glover when he was new to the cast. Savion wanted to show his stuff and dance at Birdland, but had to wash dishes and mop the floor. Hoots kept promising that if you keep practicing, and pay your dues, some day you will get your chance to shine.
Nice gentle subtle message to teach kids: nothing comes easy, but if you persevere and commit yourself to it, all your dreams can come true.
And Savion's career really took off soon after.

Yeah, that was one of the cool things about Zoot is that he was one of the older experienced sages that would council the kids. The Count is sometimes this person too when he isn't going insane over numbers.

BEAR

Reaction score
Hoots also sang a song about taking baths with little film clips of people and animals and things getting clean.

DanDanStrawberry

Reaction score
Woo! Hoots for Hoots! Which is stooh rof stooH backwards. What are the odds?