Hoots the Owl appreciation thread

Rosewood

Reaction score
why Hoots isn't shown as much anymore

Hi everyone! I just joined this morning. I've been reading your posts for over a year now, but havn't been able to respond, due to a small technicality that hasn't allowed me to register untill now. I love Hoots, too, along with most of the other S.S. muppets (the only ones I DON'T like are Elmo, Zoe, and "Baby Baow"). IMO, the reason Hoots isn't given the credit he deserves is because Kevin doesn't have the time for him anymore, now that he's one of the upper management and all. When Kevin was first hired on, he was simply a lowly puppeteer who's name was unrecognized by the general public. Now the name of Kevin Clash is well recognized by most of us who still watch S.S. And it's not a surprise, concidering that its HIS voice behind the character who now rules the street, and that we are forced to listen to for over 50% of the 1 hr. show! Anyone want to bet he goes for Jim's old Director chair next?

mr3urious

Reaction score
Hoots is such a cool cat, or should I say bird? :smile: One of Kevin Clash's most underrated characters!

wiley207

Reaction score
I've always loved Hoots the Owl ever since I was a kid. He was definitely cool. I also liked his realistic owl-like eyes and the moving eyelid mechanism. Wasn't he one of the first SS Muppets that could actually blink and all that stuff?

Wasn't too big on the variation in the "Cookie is a Sometimes Food" sketch with the generic-looking eyes, but the new Hoots puppet used since 2006 doesn't look that bad, IMHO. Sure, Hoots looks a little more cartoony with those feather colors and the way his eyes and beak look, but so what? It's still the same character, same performer and same personality. He even still has the moving eyelid mechanism!
I remember at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2007, Elmo and Hoots the Owl were right next to each other! I am pretty sure it is because Kevin Clash was operating both puppets at the same time. I wonder if a similar reason like that was why Herry Monster and Count von Count were right next to each other in the 2008 parade? I know Jerry Nelson voiced both characters, but still...

Kiki

Reaction score
I love Hoots! :sing: (<<yeah, I know what's not Hoots.. XP) I've loved him since I was little, and I still catch myself singing "Put Down The Duckie" at school and stuff. ^_^ I also love the song "Sleepy Time on Sesame Street". I think that's what it's called- very catchy. Has anyone seen the video where Big Bird goes to hospital? I love the bit where Hoots visits him at night and plays his sax. :smile:

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
I love Hoots! :sing: (<<yeah, I know what's not Hoots.. XP) I've loved him since I was little, and I still catch myself singing "Put Down The Duckie" at school and stuff. ^_^ I also love the song "Sleepy Time on Sesame Street". I think that's what it's called- very catchy. Has anyone seen the video where Big Bird goes to hospital? I love the bit where Hoots visits him at night and plays his sax. :smile:
Oh yeah. This thread so needs a bump, and I totally love Hoots.

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
Leon's still funnier than Hoots, but Hoots is awesome. Is it me, or do the two feather crest over his eyes now move as well? I remember them being very...stiff when the older puppet was still being used.