Hot Wheels releasing an Electric Mayhem Bus

los

Reaction score
Yes, this seems like a legit product. I absolutely love it and plan to get it! Technically, this is a school bus (longer, more windows and differently-shaped) and not quite the Electric Mayhem bus, hence the labeling.
As much as I would want to buy it...it is not the EM bus. It's like putting a pointy collar on any amphibian and calling it Kermit.
:frown: Like Rowlf, I hope something better comes along.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
As much as I would want to buy it...it is not the EM bus. It's like putting a pointy collar on any amphibian and calling it Kermit.
:frown: Like Rowlf, I hope something better comes along.
I believe it could be difficult to secure the rights to the specific automobile design. Still, I think the artists could do a better approximation that would skirt any patant issues.

los

Reaction score
As difficult as it may be,Hot Wheels should have then done due diligence and secure those rights and give us an accurate EM bus. It like any other toy company being lazy and not securing the rights to the Muppets but putting said mentioned above pointy collar on a toad or salamander and calling it Kermit.

Why not make Mustang and add the signature lights and pass it off as KITT..because it would be wrong.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
As difficult as it may be,Hot Wheels should have then done due diligence and secure those rights and give us an accurate EM bus. It like any other toy company being lazy and not securing the rights to the Muppets but putting said mentioned above pointy collar on any frog road or salamander and calling it Kermit.
I know for a fact that rights issues were one of the reasons that Palisades Toys never made an Electric Mayhem bus. Sometimes those rights aren't really up for grabs even if one does their due diligence. The idea that they were lazy is a rather wild and insulting assumption.

I do think they could have blurred the line enough so that it would look closer to the original without having to secure the specific design rights. It all comes down to an issue of cost vs profit. This item is officially advertised as a school bus so I don't much see the problem.

I'm still glad they made it and this is really not the same thing as a collared salamander. I think we fans were spoiled by Palisades. If it's a choice between no bus and this bus, I pick this bus. :smile:

los

Reaction score
The idea that they were lazy is a rather wild and insulting assumption.
I did not say Hot Wheels was lazy... It was a hypothetical toy company. If Hot Wheels is truly insulted, send me the address so I can send the Wah-mbulance. Of course it won't look exactly like the Wah-mbulance but between that or nothing.... :wink:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I did not say Hot Wheels was lazy... It was a hypothetical toy company. If Hot Wheels is truly insulted, send me the address so I can send the Wah-mbulance. Of course it won't look exactly like the Wah-mbulance but between that or nothing.... :wink:
I know for a fact that toy designers try their hardest to make such pieces as accurate as their budgets and licensing restrictions will allow. I'd rather have a less than exact replica than none at all. The people who don't like it can call a Wah-mbulance of their own. :coy:

muppetperson

Reaction score
I know for a fact that rights issues were one of the reasons that Palisades Toys never made an Electric Mayhem bus. Sometimes those rights aren't really up for grabs even if one does their due diligence. The idea that they were lazy is a rather wild and insulting assumption.

I do think they could have blurred the line enough so that it would look closer to the original without having to secure the specific design rights. It all comes down to an issue of cost vs profit. This item is officially advertised as a school bus so I don't much see the problem.

I'm still glad they made it and this is really not the same thing as a collared salamander. I think we fans were spoiled by Palisades. If it's a choice between no bus and this bus, I pick this bus. :smile:
Disney seem to have the rights for the EM bus as it will be featured in the Disney Infinity game.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know for a fact that toy designers try their hardest to make such pieces as accurate as their budgets and licensing restrictions will allow. I'd rather have a less than exact replica than none at all. The people who don't like it can call a Wah-mbulance of their own. :coy:
And unlike the other licensed character based vehicles, at least they're releasing something as close to the EM bus as possible, and not just a bunch of lame silk screened pother vehicles with overused stock art on them. Hot Wheels also has a Hanna Barbera line. They have Hong Kong Phooey and the Flinstones. And we did not get a Phooeymobile or a Flintmobile. And the only DC comics vehicle they release are Batman related. There's supposedly a Wonder Woman invisible plane, but I haven't seen it.

in stores, anyway.