1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

How did Caroll Spinney see inside Bruno?

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by minor muppetz, Jun 28, 2005.

1. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

In his autobiography, caroll spinney gave detailed information about how he performed all of his characters. however, he never mentioned anything about how he was able to see what he was doing whne he performed bruno. was there a really tiny monitor inside the costume, or could there have been a small hole inside the eyebrows, or was there some other way? or was he completely blinded inside the character?

I believe that he could see inside the costume, since bruno has rollerskated, and bruno even carried oscar while rollerskating. since caroll spinney usually performed two characters at once (inside the bruno suit and operating the oscar puppet through a hole between brunos stomache and the trash can), he probably needed to see what he was doing as oscar.

:grouchy:
  2. minor muppetz

oh. I was under the impression that caroll spinney had his head inside brunos head. of course, I didn't have any way of knowing for sure. :confused:
  3. Xerus

Xerus Active Member

I always wondered how Carroll got Bruno's mouth to move whenever he had Oscar sticking out of the can Bruno was carrying.
  4. That Announcer

That Announcer New Member

Possibly an RC mouth, with somebody else inside Bruno and Caroll looping the dialogue?
  5. minor muppetz

If you look closely, you can see an invisible wire (like the one attached from big birds hands to his neck that is used to move big birds right arm) attached from brunos mouth to somewhere inside the trash can. I once read in another thread that the wire is connected to caroll spinneys arm that goes into oscars left hand. i am not sure if that is true or just a guess. I can't remember the thread, but I believe it is in one about bruno.
  6. Xerus

Xerus Active Member

Thank you for answering that. I figured there might've been a wire attached to Bruno's mouth.

I also remember Bruno's very first appearance. The SS adults saw a bunch of trash cans that haven't been picked up this morning. And they saw the local trashman, Bruno, coming by with a can. They were angry and yelled at Bruno for not picking up their trash. But then Oscar poked his head out of the can Bruno was carrying and he explained to them that he hired Bruno to carry him around.
  7. minor muppetz

thanks for remembering his first appearance. I was planning on starting a thread asking about whether bruno was properly introduced, or if he just suddenly appeared, but it looks like you answered without being asked.
  8. Xerus

Xerus Active Member

You welcome. :)

When I first saw Bruno, I wondered why Oscar needed him. Oscar can walk on his own by either sticking his feet out of his trash or just going to places without his can.
  9. MuppetDude

MuppetDude Active Member

I think I know how Caroll was able to see where he was going. If you look closely at Bruno's head, you can see thin pieces of fabric on each side of Bruno's nose; that's what Caroll sees through.
  10. Gonzo14

Gonzo14 Active Member

has Bruno been on Sesame Street at all in the last few years?
  11. minor muppetz

No. Carroll Spinney said that the puppet wore out and wasn't rebuilt, and apparantly it would cost too much to rebuild someone who wasn't used much in the first place.

I think he last appeared in the early 1990s. Some sources have said that he last appeared in 1990, but he was in the 991 special Big Birds Birthday, and I recall seeing him in an episode from the 1992-1993 season (although I didn't see much of that scene, so it could have been an insert or even a repeat from a previous season).
  12. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

When was this? I imagine that it was later than 1978 since Oscar had other means of transportation on "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street." So what year was it that Bruno came about? Just wondering.
  13. minor muppetz

I have read that Bruno first appeared on the show in 1978. Although even after he was introduced, oscar continued to walk with his legs out of the bottom of the can frequently. He walks that way in Sesame Street Live (even though bruno was created to give Oscar a way to enter on a live stage).
  14. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

Yeah, but we also see Oscar walking around without the can all together sometimes. Atleast these days we do. Not full bodied of course, but no walking around in the can with his legs poking out. I always thought that was kinda silly in the first place. It's like he is a turtle or something. He can't go anywhere without the darn can?
  15. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

Yeah. I see what you mean. The only times I remember seeing Oscar walking with the can were in "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street" and in story books. For the most part, I've mainly seen Oscar walk around on his own.
  16. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

That was the only times I have seen it too. I think he is seen in his can most of the time anyway, but even in Follow That Bird he was walking around without the can.
  17. Xerus

Xerus Active Member

I also wonder how Oscar can walk around in his small can with all of his pet elephants inside it. And especially when Bruno carries Oscar and all his hundreds of pets around in that can. Bruno must be a pretty strong guy.
  18. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

Well it's kind of that whole "willing suspension of disbelief thing," ya know? Just like, how does he even live in a trashcan with all of that stuff? But do we really care?

The thing I wanna know is, why does he even need to walk around in his trashcan? He looks silly. Also, I wonder if they have a kid inside the can walking around as Oscar and how do they see?
  19. Gonzo14

Gonzo14 Active Member

well in Elmo in Grouchland, there was a vortex type thing that lead to Grouchland, you could say that there's another one that leads to the elephant and all that (or you could be like me and not care)
  20. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

That was kinda the point I was making when saying it is the "Willing suspension of disbelief." It is very similar to how Mary Poppins has all that weird stuff like hatracks and large house plants in a small bag. It's magic.