How did Caroll Spinney see inside Bruno?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In his autobiography, caroll spinney gave detailed information about how he performed all of his characters. however, he never mentioned anything about how he was able to see what he was doing whne he performed bruno. was there a really tiny monitor inside the costume, or could there have been a small hole inside the eyebrows, or was there some other way? or was he completely blinded inside the character?

I believe that he could see inside the costume, since bruno has rollerskated, and bruno even carried oscar while rollerskating. since caroll spinney usually performed two characters at once (inside the bruno suit and operating the oscar puppet through a hole between brunos stomache and the trash can), he probably needed to see what he was doing as oscar.

:grouchy:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
DevonMiles said:
There was certainly a monitor on his chest, the same one he uses when he's performing Big Bird. This is where he can also tape his scripts when he has dialog. He also where's magnifying glasses so it makes the image from the monitor slightly larger for him.
oh. I was under the impression that caroll spinney had his head inside brunos head. of course, I didn't have any way of knowing for sure. :confused:

Xerus

Reaction score
I always wondered how Carroll got Bruno's mouth to move whenever he had Oscar sticking out of the can Bruno was carrying.

That Announcer

Reaction score
Xerus said:
I always wondered how Carroll got Bruno's mouth to move whenever he had Oscar sticking out of the can Bruno was carrying.
Possibly an RC mouth, with somebody else inside Bruno and Caroll looping the dialogue?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Xerus said:
If you look closely, you can see an invisible wire (like the one attached from big birds hands to his neck that is used to move big birds right arm) attached from brunos mouth to somewhere inside the trash can. I once read in another thread that the wire is connected to caroll spinneys arm that goes into oscars left hand. i am not sure if that is true or just a guess. I can't remember the thread, but I believe it is in one about bruno.

Xerus

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
If you look closely, you can see an invisible wire (like the one attached from big birds hands to his neck that is used to move big birds right arm) attached from brunos mouth to somewhere inside the trash can. I once read in another thread that the wire is connected to caroll spinneys arm that goes into oscars left hand. i am not sure if that is true or just a guess. I can't remember the thread, but I believe it is in one about bruno.
Thank you for answering that. I figured there might've been a wire attached to Bruno's mouth.

I also remember Bruno's very first appearance. The SS adults saw a bunch of trash cans that haven't been picked up this morning. And they saw the local trashman, Bruno, coming by with a can. They were angry and yelled at Bruno for not picking up their trash. But then Oscar poked his head out of the can Bruno was carrying and he explained to them that he hired Bruno to carry him around.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Xerus said:
I also remember Bruno's very first appearance. The SS adults saw a bunch of trash cans that haven't been picked up this morning. And they saw the local trashman, Bruno, coming by with a can. They were angry and yelled at Bruno for not picking up their trash. But then Oscar poked his head out of the can Bruno was carrying and he explained to them that he hired Bruno to carry him around.
thanks for remembering his first appearance. I was planning on starting a thread asking about whether bruno was properly introduced, or if he just suddenly appeared, but it looks like you answered without being asked.

Xerus

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
thanks for remembering his first appearance. I was planning on starting a thread asking about whether bruno was properly introduced, or if he just suddenly appeared, but it looks like you answered without being asked.
You welcome. :smile:

When I first saw Bruno, I wondered why Oscar needed him. Oscar can walk on his own by either sticking his feet out of his trash or just going to places without his can.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
I think I know how Caroll was able to see where he was going. If you look closely at Bruno's head, you can see thin pieces of fabric on each side of Bruno's nose; that's what Caroll sees through.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
has Bruno been on Sesame Street at all in the last few years?