How did Caroll Spinney see inside Bruno?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Gonzo14 said:
has Bruno been on Sesame Street at all in the last few years?
No. Carroll Spinney said that the puppet wore out and wasn't rebuilt, and apparantly it would cost too much to rebuild someone who wasn't used much in the first place.

I think he last appeared in the early 1990s. Some sources have said that he last appeared in 1990, but he was in the 991 special Big Birds Birthday, and I recall seeing him in an episode from the 1992-1993 season (although I didn't see much of that scene, so it could have been an insert or even a repeat from a previous season).

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Xerus said:
Thank you for answering that. I figured there might've been a wire attached to Bruno's mouth.

I also remember Bruno's very first appearance. The SS adults saw a bunch of trash cans that haven't been picked up this morning. And they saw the local trashman, Bruno, coming by with a can. They were angry and yelled at Bruno for not picking up their trash. But then Oscar poked his head out of the can Bruno was carrying and he explained to them that he hired Bruno to carry him around.
When was this? I imagine that it was later than 1978 since Oscar had other means of transportation on "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street." So what year was it that Bruno came about? Just wondering.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
When was this? I imagine that it was later than 1978 since Oscar had other means of transportation on "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street." So what year was it that Bruno came about? Just wondering.
I have read that Bruno first appeared on the show in 1978. Although even after he was introduced, oscar continued to walk with his legs out of the bottom of the can frequently. He walks that way in Sesame Street Live (even though bruno was created to give Oscar a way to enter on a live stage).

BEAR

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I have read that Bruno first appeared on the show in 1978. Although even after he was introduced, oscar continued to walk with his legs out of the bottom of the can frequently. He walks that way in Sesame Street Live (even though bruno was created to give Oscar a way to enter on a live stage).

Yeah, but we also see Oscar walking around without the can all together sometimes. Atleast these days we do. Not full bodied of course, but no walking around in the can with his legs poking out. I always thought that was kinda silly in the first place. It's like he is a turtle or something. He can't go anywhere without the darn can?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah. I see what you mean. The only times I remember seeing Oscar walking with the can were in "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street" and in story books. For the most part, I've mainly seen Oscar walk around on his own.

BEAR

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
Yeah. I see what you mean. The only times I remember seeing Oscar walking with the can were in "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street" and in story books. For the most part, I've mainly seen Oscar walk around on his own.
That was the only times I have seen it too. I think he is seen in his can most of the time anyway, but even in Follow That Bird he was walking around without the can.

Xerus

Reaction score
I also wonder how Oscar can walk around in his small can with all of his pet elephants inside it. And especially when Bruno carries Oscar and all his hundreds of pets around in that can. Bruno must be a pretty strong guy.

BEAR

Reaction score
Xerus said:
I also wonder how Oscar can walk around in his small can with all of his pet elephants inside it. And especially when Bruno carries Oscar and all his hundreds of pets around in that can. Bruno must be a pretty strong guy.

Well it's kind of that whole "willing suspension of disbelief thing," ya know? Just like, how does he even live in a trashcan with all of that stuff? But do we really care?

The thing I wanna know is, why does he even need to walk around in his trashcan? He looks silly. Also, I wonder if they have a kid inside the can walking around as Oscar and how do they see?

Gonzo14

Reaction score
well in Elmo in Grouchland, there was a vortex type thing that lead to Grouchland, you could say that there's another one that leads to the elephant and all that (or you could be like me and not care)

BEAR

Reaction score
Gonzo14 said:
well in Elmo in Grouchland, there was a vortex type thing that lead to Grouchland, you could say that there's another one that leads to the elephant and all that (or you could be like me and not care)

That was kinda the point I was making when saying it is the "Willing suspension of disbelief." It is very similar to how Mary Poppins has all that weird stuff like hatracks and large house plants in a small bag. It's magic.