How do I get a job as a Muppeteer?

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Contact Information

Several months ago I was on the Henson website; I have included the link below.

http://www.henson.com/index2.html

I do not know if this has changed with the Disney merger or not, but there is a section of the web sight where you can ask questions and get answers. The questions and answers are posted in a forum so that any one can read past questions, and see the answers. I posted a question with my email address so they responded to me directly.

I was asking about how to get a Job with the Henson Co. And I was told I would need 3 things...Experience, Experience, and Experience! But they also gave me the address to send resume, demo tape and photos of my work. Not having any experience under my belt as of yet, I kind of had to put my application on hold until I build my first puppet.....I was trying to put the cart before the horse.

Any way I do not know if that is much help, I have not been on the Henson sight in about 6 months because we are not flash enabled here at work.
:frown:

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Get That Muppet Job!!

OK Gang I found this in my files and thought I would pass it along to all of you. This is where to send your resume and demo tapes.

Dear Andrew,
>
>You should know that there are many requirements for working with
>The Jim Henson Company as a performer. The requirements mostly
>consist of three things, experience, experience and experience. If
>you have a resume and would like it to be considered, you can send
>your resume with a cover letter to:
>Human Resources
>The Jim Henson Company
>1416 North La Brea Avenue
>Hollywood, CA 90028
>You may also fax your resume and cover letter to (323) 802-1833,
>or email human_resources@henson.com.
>NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
>
>Regards . . . The Jim Henson Company
>
>For the most Sensational, Inspirational, Celebrational,
>Dot.com-ational...
>...This is what we call...collectible Muppet Moments!
>http://www.henson.com/anniversary25
>© 2002 The Jim Henson Company. THE MUPPET SHOW mark & logo, Kermit
>Head Logo, MUPPET, MUPPETS, characters and elements are trademarks
>of The Jim Henson Company. All Rights Reserved. Please read our
>Terms of Service at www.henson.com
>
>At 12:01 PM 1/30/04 -0700, you wrote:
>
>>This is really a very simple question, and I have asked it many
>>times throughout my life. I know that now days no one gets a job
>>based on intent or interest, and no one does business with a hand
>>shake. But it would be dreams come true to work for the Jim Henson
>>Company as a puppet performer. So my question is this; how can I
>>acquire a job with The Jim Henson Company?
>>
>>
>>
>>Thank you
>>
>>Your friend
>>
>>Andrew Dusing
>>
>>Please send me and email response.
>>
>>Scarecrow34@hotmail.com
:smile:

Doctor Teeth

Reaction score
You know, of few of us could just band together, make a loada cash, and buy the Henson company. :big_grin:

Think of it! Muppets, run by the fans! Ah, so great. Out from under the iron and suffocating grip of Disney.

Jim Henson's dead and gone, but his Muppets MUST live on.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Doctor Teeth said:
You know, of few of us could just band together, make a loada cash, and buy the Henson company. :big_grin:

Think of it! Muppets, run by the fans! Ah, so great. Out from under the iron and suffocating grip of Disney.

Jim Henson's dead and gone, but his Muppets MUST live on.
Here's the hole in your plan:
Jim Henson Company NO LONGER OWNS the Muppets, period. Disney now owns the Muppets, and they are still in the grips of Disney whether someone buys the Henson Co. or not.

The only deal Henson has with all that is a 7 year contract to 'train' Disney how best to use the Muppets, not that they used them that often to begin with themselves.

I think I've changed for the time being, and I've noticed the Muppets popping up in an LOT more places lately than they did before Disney bought them, so Disney may not be a bad thing---for now. We'll have to see how they are after a few years, so I'm still being judgemental.

BTW--this doesn't have anything to do with the question every kid is asking everywhere: "How do I get a job as a Muppeteer?" I'm sure there are a lot more things we can say and remind the kids about.

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Muppet Job

Well if you read through most of my posts I have tried to state all the information I have about getting a job with the Muppets. The spring of 1999 I was the closest I have ever been to making that dream come true.

I know A lot of you are making your puppets, and are really performing well, and that is great. I havent made a puppet in about 4 or more years. As I have said in the past be true to the craft, and know you trade, be the best that you can be.

Then get your demo tape together and send it to Henson CO./ Disney.

Rugby

Reaction score
"there are lots of interesting stlyes of puppet and puppet theatre out there, from marionettes, to rod puppets, to the indonesian Wayang Gollucks, "

While that may be true, these forms of puppetry are no where near as endearing and cute as muppet style puppets. When was the last shadow puppet show you saw on tv? And if the rod puppets aren't MST3K style, nobody is going to watch. There is not much of a demand for the 'other' kind of puppetry. If you want to be a starving artist, then that may be your avenue, but as of today, your best shot at making a living in the puppet business is in the muppet style of puppet. Crank Yankers anyone?

The reason muppet style is so popular is because you can convey so much emotion and animation with the style. It's like cartoon characters come to life. You just aren't going to get that with the other styles, But then again, I may have Team America to prove me wrong.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
"While that may be true, these forms of puppetry are no where near as endearing and cute as muppet style puppets. When was the last shadow puppet show you saw on tv? And if the rod puppets aren't MST3K style, nobody is going to watch. There is not much of a demand for the 'other' kind of puppetry. If you want to be a starving artist, then that may be your avenue, but as of today, your best shot at making a living in the puppet business is in the muppet style of puppet. Crank Yankers anyone?"

seems to be a rather limited veiw of the art of puppetry, TV is not the only avenue for puppets, a truly talanted puppeteer with a vision can achieve a range of complex emotions using any form of puppetry, it what makes a well rounded performer,

as for people not being interested in other forms of puppetry , that same argument could have been made for animated puppet films like"THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTAMS", a film using a animation style that had not been used for such a ambitous project since the hey day of RANKIN/BASS, and it did amazingly, and developed a huge fan base.

their is also theatre shows, here on the east coast in New York , Basil Twist has created a amazingly succesful show called SYMPHONIE FANTASTIQUE using a giant water tank, and bits of cloth and fabric to create a "puppet water ballet"

or look at the broadway show THE LION KING, or the puppet show PETER AND WENDY,

you most definetley can make a living doing non muppet stlye works , it just takes imagination, and the skill to see it thru.

christyb

Reaction score
The Good Doctor said:
Well if you read through most of my posts I have tried to state all the information I have about getting a job with the Muppets. The spring of 1999 I was the closest I have ever been to making that dream come true.

I know A lot of you are making your puppets, and are really performing well, and that is great. I havent made a puppet in about 4 or more years. As I have said in the past be true to the craft, and know you trade, be the best that you can be.

Then get your demo tape together and send it to Henson CO./ Disney.
I'd be happy with an internship or answering the phone myself. Just being around would be like a kid in a candy store for me.

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Internship

christyb said:
I'd be happy with an internship or answering the phone myself. Just being around would be like a kid in a candy store for me.
I completely understand, at the time I only had 1 samester of college left. The deal with the internship was that you had to be in school, and I was although my college career was comming to a close. Considering all the puppet internspits were filled I had to make a very hard decision to finish school, or to to take an internship answering the phones. I chose to get my BFA in Graphic Design instead, and really I have no regrets.

My goals have changed slightly, being married and wanting to have a family I need to be able to put food on the table. My plann is to open my own studio here in Denver CO, and begin building and performing puppets. My first big project will be The Wonderful Wizard of OZ, the true story, the only story that has never really been told. All the adaptations have always changed the story and fallen short of its original vision written by L. Frank Baum and published back in 1900. I want to bring it to life with the words and style that he originally invisioned.

I have a long way to go, but I know I will get there. I am gathering information now and hope to be building puppets by July of 05. Who knows what crazy directions I will go in then. :smile:

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
Also, this is the letter I received at the end of April 2003, about 4 months after I sent out a demo tape which I and my best friend Lucas made. Please note this was just prior to the Henson family buying the company back from EMTV and I have not heard anything more as of yet.

Dear Kevin,

We recently received your demo tape regarding your interest in becoming a puppeteer with the Jim Henson Company.

Kevin Clash has reviewed your tape and was very impressed by your work. Though we would to invite you to our next workshop for an audition and training, we have no set date at present. Therefore we will keep your details on file and contact you accordingly.

In the meantime, I am returning your tape as I thought you might like it back. We know how much work goes into creating one. Thanks so much for your interest and keep up the great work.

Sincerely,
Joe Roddy (Signed)

It was wonderful to receive this, especially since I actually completely forgot about it after I sent it out. But one of the best things to do if you send out a tape is just keep busy with other projects and not think about the outcome. I had many of my own puppetry projects to do with my production company that Lucas and I were was busy with. We actually did this for fun, not expecting anything out of it whatsoever.

Here are the actual contact addresses and numbers as printed on the letterhead:

New York

117 East 69th Street
New York, NY 10021
Telephone (212) 794-2400
Facsimile (212) 570-1147

Los Angeles

1416 North La Brea Avenue
Hollywood, CA 90028
Telephone (323) 802-1500
Facsimile (323) 802-1825

London

30 Oval Road, Camden Town
London NW1 7DE
Telephone (171) 428-4000
Facsimile (171) 428-4001

If anyone would like photographs of the letter, e-mail me and I'll be happy to send some.