How do I get a job as a Muppeteer?

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Wow

WOW, that was way cool, and a lot closer than I ever got. I think if I were invited to an audition I would freak out. Then At the audition i would freak out again, but i am guessing if you are really that good to get an audition that you probaly would not be freaking out so much.

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
I'm really not one to go nuts over something. But this was certainly very exciting. I was surprised since I hadn't been performing very long and felt the puppetry could have been better. I don't know how I would do at a live audition, but I have puppeteered around other people in other situations and was alright with it.

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Puppetry

About 5 years agao I was really getting into the puppet stuff, and then college ended and the real world took over. My construction methods were not at all very good, and my one and only puppet fell apaprt all to quickly. My wife and are are buying a house and I hope to (at last) set the basement up as a studio and begin exparmenting with building some puppets.

Also I would like to say if there is any one here in the Denver CO area who is looking for or need any help with performing on construction I have a great background in the arts visual and performing.

I think that if I get back into performing I will have the confidence to not freak out at an audition.

Ryan

Reaction score
FISH'N'WOLFE said:
I'm really not one to go nuts over something. But this was certainly very exciting. I was surprised since I hadn't been performing very long and felt the puppetry could have been better. I don't know how I would do at a live audition, but I have puppeteered around other people in other situations and was alright with it.

Don't get too excited, that's the basic letter they send everyone. I doubt Henson will be doing any workshops for a fewyears. They simply just don't need anybody new/can't afford it.

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
I was speaking in past tenths, I was saying it was exciting to receive the letter in the mail back in early '03. I also said that I haven't heard anything more as of yet, which is fine. I have a lot of my own projects that I am busy with at the moment and actually was pleased to not have been called to an audition. I was experimenting with puppetry at the time, and thought it might be neat to send a demo out to JHC. I'm really not concerned about whether they ever contact me again or not, I sent the tape out for fun, not expecting a reply. It really was enough for me to have received the response I did. I know it's a form letter they send out, but they do not send it out to everyone, only the people they believe have serious potential. Good point as well, that's most likely true that they won't have audition/training workshops for awhile, however I don't think people should feel discouraged about sending demos out. Even though the chances of getting hired are slim at the moment, it's certainly worth sending you're material out. If they like your work they will keep you on file and you never know, they may someday contact you. Just remember however, there are other opportunities other than the Muppets, and not to rest all your hopes on getting a job with them.

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
The Good Doctor said:
About 5 years agao I was really getting into the puppet stuff, and then college ended and the real world took over. My construction methods were not at all very good, and my one and only puppet fell apaprt all to quickly. My wife and are are buying a house and I hope to (at last) set the basement up as a studio and begin exparmenting with building some puppets.

Also I would like to say if there is any one here in the Denver CO area who is looking for or need any help with performing on construction I have a great background in the arts visual and performing.

I think that if I get back into performing I will have the confidence to not freak out at an audition.
That sounds lovely,

I have a workshop set up in my father's basement which he helped me put together. I am still building up my small puppet production company and developing a unique puppetry pilot set in New York, NY. I also just finished a three spot television commercial pitch for a local outfit, Osgood Textiles a large fabric and foam outfit where I happen to purchase a lot of my building materials. I am located in New England, but once I have a workable budget I may just contact you.

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
FISH'N'WOLFE said:
I was speaking in past tenths, I was saying it was exciting to receive the letter in the mail back in early '03. I also said that I haven't heard anything more as of yet, which is fine. I have a lot of my own projects that I am busy with at the moment and actually was pleased to not have been called to an audition. I was experimenting with puppetry at the time, and thought it might be neat to send a demo out to JHC. I'm really not concerned about whether they ever contact me again or not, I sent the tape out for fun, not expecting a reply. It really was enough for me to have received the response I did. I know it's a form letter they send out, but they do not send it out to everyone, only the people they believe have serious potential. Good point as well, that's most likely true that they won't have audition/training workshops for awhile, however I don't think people should feel discouraged about sending demos out. Even though the chances of getting hired are slim at the moment, it's certainly worth sending you're material out. If they like your work they will keep you on file and you never know, they may someday contact you. Just remember however, there are other opportunities other than the Muppets, and not to rest all your hopes on getting a job with them.

BE TRUE TO THE CRAFT! That is most important!

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
[I have a workshop set up in my father's basement which he helped me put together. I am still building up my small puppet production company and developing a unique puppetry pilot set in New York, NY. I also just finished a three spot television commercial pitch for a local outfit, Osgood Textiles a large fabric and foam outfit where I happen to purchase a lot of my building materials. I am located in New England, but once I have a workable budget I may just contact you.[/QUOTE]

That would really be great! I am hopeful that by the summer I will have at least 1 puppet made. I hate having to start all over again at the beggining but here I am, ready and willing. I am way behind with my sculpture work as well, so the studio will really be a good spring board. I wrote a puppet show with some friends of mine in college, it is a total spoof on some unlikely superherows who battle crime, sort of. Any way if any one wants to contact me you can at: scarecrow34@hotmail.com

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
The studio is finally up and running, and as a crazy turn of events this sunday I will be having a photo-shoot. A phtographer in London is going to take some pictires of my sculpture work.

Also If you want to get a feel for the kinds of work I produce Check out the book The Cult of Mac. Look me up (Andrew Dusing) in the index and turn to my page, you will see soem great examples of the kinds of things I make.

Puppets are planned for this summer, so i have to get cracking....lots and lots of projects are planned for the next few months.