How I Spent My Summer Vacation (A Muppet Fic)

Ozymandias

Reaction score
I will admit, I have never watched Fraggle Rock so I didn't get all the references, but the story was very, very good nonetheless. :smile: Love how Doc thought that Beaker was a foreign exchange student! XD

charlietheowl

Reaction score
That's why I was a little wary of doing the idea at first, because I didn't know how many people would understand the framing, but I figured the story stood for itself mostly. Thanks for reading!

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
That's why I was a little wary of doing the idea at first, because I didn't know how many people would understand the framing, but I figured the story stood for itself mostly. Thanks for reading!
You're welcome, Charlie! Now, I am waiting and go to "patience mood" until there is more story.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
This one didn't exactly come out the way I wanted, and went through a couple revisions and reworkings. I'm not sure if it's any good, but here we are...

"I Stand Accused" is copyright to Jerry Butler, though my favorite version of the song is Al Green's.
----------------------------------------------------

Alex was lost. Lost. Hansel And Gretel lost. Cast Away lost. Lost lost.

It wasn't entirely his fault, being from Indiana and sent on business at the last minute by his boss to Los Angeles. He didn't expect this, not at all. Certainly didn't anticipate having to have the GPS application on his iPhone. Certainly didn't think he'd ever need that any time soon. Now he was wandering around suburban Los Angeles, looking for a little office building containing a little office containing a little architect who had a little blueprint that absolutely could not be sent by email. The whole thing just made him completely frustrated.

The only redeeming factor was the lavish surroundings that Alex slowly made his way through, looking for 275 Hotchkiss Avenue Suite 2. Lots of large houses with perfectly manicured lawns and nice cars in the driveways. BMWs, Mercedes, Audis, even some Porsches. Certainly put his rented 2003 Ford Focus to shame, though that wasn't his fault.

It was fun imagining who lived in the houses around here. Sure, they were probably real estate agents and doctors and professors most likely, but maybe one of them was an athlete. Or a singer. Or an actor. Heck, maybe all three! And maybe he'd see one of them out walking to their car or to get the mail. And then he'd kindly wave, and they'd wave back and smile, and he'd be able to say he "met" a celebrity. It would go a long ways to making up for this godawful trip.

However, at this point, none of that really mattered, because Alex was really lost. It had been forty-five minutes for what should have been a twenty minute drive, and all the houses were starting to look the same. Have I been here before? Did I go down that side street? Why won't my boss answer his cell phone?

Finally, Alex pulled over out of complete frustration. He truly had no idea where he was and time was ticking away. What was he going to do?

Then-out of the blue- he heard a voice from up the street. Yes! I can find them and ask for directions, then I'll be golden.

As he slowly made his way up the road, the voice turned out not to be speaking but singing. Hmm….maybe I'll meet a famous singer! Get directions and a cool story.

Alex slowed to a stop in front of a large mansion, and saw a man hammering away at an electric keyboard in his garage, next to a couple of motorcycles and what remained of a go-cart.

"I stand accused of lovin' you too much
and I hope, I hope it's not a crime
'cause if it is, I'm guilty
of lovin' you, lovin' you….."

The man launched into a keyboard solo, looked up and then noticed Alex sitting in his car, still waiting for the right moment to start talking.

"Saluations good sir! It is just the finest afternoon to be playing the blues! Or the souls!"

"Um……" Alex was left speechless as the strangely dressed man made his way to the car. A fluffy purple hat, weird glasses, blindly contrasting fur vest and shirt, loads of rings, and a gold tooth.

"Well, you appear to be at a certain feeling of unease. Sweat on your brow, shaky fingers on the steering wheel, telltale signs of anxiety. What's bringing you down?"

"Well…I'm lost."

"Most of us are yes, most of us are. The only time I really know where I am is when I'm behind that piano. The notes move from my brain to my arm to the keyboard and then-BOOM!" The man popped his hands in front of Alex's face, causing him to jump in the seat.

"I…I am lost. I am supposed to be at 275 Hotchkiss Avenue Suite 2."

The man scratched his beard and pondered the address for a minute.

"Oh. That kind of lost. The more transient kind."

"Yes, I have to pick up something for my boss."

"Ah, the boss man. Don't let him get you down."

"Well, I do like drawing a paycheck every week, so…"

"Ah, money. Moolah. Bread. Everybody needs it, don't they? Makes the world go round."

"Yes, well, I need it and I need my job. I don't want to go back to stocking shelves at Shelly's Corner Market and Liquor."

"Shelly's Corner Market and Liquor? In Terre Haute, Indiana?"

"Yes." Alex was shocked.

"Me and my band played there once. Got a box of wine thrown at my head when I wouldn't sing "I Love the Nightlife". Great crowd."

"Yes, it was quite the place."

"Those places have character. I've played places like that, they have the most receptive, engaged audiences."

"That's nice, but I really need to be going-"

"I've played everywhere. Me and the band would play any gig as long as they fed us. A dentist office once brought us in because their radio broke. We got free cleanings and got to take two things from the treasure chest each. It was one of our more lucrative gigs."

"Wow. Sounds rough. Now, can you help me find my way-"

"Another time we played at the opening of a fish market. Only thing was the fish didn't like our music. Said it was too loud, not enough strings. The lobsters attacked us and tossed us into the street before we could get our payment."

"How much?"

"A pound each."

"Were you in England?"

"No, in Santa Monica. We each were going to get a pound of fish. That would have been six pounds total, some good meals right there. Have you ever had tilapia?"

"Like I said, I really need to be going-"

"Oh man, your taste buds are missing out on the quite the culinary delight. Take some tilapia, coat it in lemon and olive oil, toss it on the grill, serve it with roasted zucchini, perfect meal right there."

"That sounds good. I'll have to try it, if I am able to pay for food once I am fired, which will certainly happen if I don't get to the office soon."

"Oh yeah! You need some direction in your life. Let me be your compass and set you in the right way, so that you can see the forest for the trees, though we mostly have palm trees around here."

"Okay."

"You want to go straight."

"And…"

"That's it. Just go straight about a mile, then the road hits a dead end and the building is at the end of the cul-de-sac."

"So I could have been there fifteen minutes ago had I not stopped to talk to you." A look of visible dread poured over Alex's face.

"Ah yes, but the conversation was flowing. It was truly meaningful."

Alex had sped away by the time the man had finished his sentence, leaving him alone in the driveway.

"Guess he's not much of a talker. Oh well."

--------------------------------------------------

Coming up "next": Wayne and Wanda play a concert for a crowd that isn't exactly in their demographic (presuming they have one).

DramaQueenMokey

Reaction score
I read all the chapters and I must say OMG I LOVE-LOVE-LOVE this!!!!!!! I loved Piggy's chapter and the way Link kept trying to change the script XD will Piggy fire him perhaps? Kermit and Robin and their family moment awww :smile:

Newsman getting his own chapter was just made of win and I'll think twice about fondoling produce when I go shopping from now on! I liked the tie-in with Fraggle Rock and really enjoyed Statler and Waldorf's convo chappie. I very much enjoy this!

Can't wait for more :smile: