How thin is acceptable?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I really feel the resposibility lies on the companies. Not just the food preparation industry. Huge corporations that refuse to give people a living wage so these people can afford to eat well. Corporations that feel it's more important to have people work ever waking hour of the day, and not give them a full lunch hour or manditory excersize periods. If anyone should pay a "sin" tax, it's the sinners.
That mode of thinking with the auto industry isn't really giving us healthier cars and people have to drive places. It can't be left up to the companies’ discretion in my opinion. We really should be driving electric cars (that run on less fossil fuel than any car or hybrid on the market) but that decision was left up to car companies. The technology and methods are there, but there’s nothing being done about it because there is more profit in fuel futures (whatever that fuel might be).

There is also personal responsibility. Taxing fast food is a moot idea anyway because the McCompanies have too many lobbyists already. It will take an entrepreneur to realize there’s money in creating an alternative health conscious fast food chain.

One thing they should do is in advertising. They need to stop advertising to kids and make the patrons in their commercials more accurately resemble real life ones instead of Paris Hilton in a bikini washing a car. I don’t think she’s eaten since 1998. Instead they should have Rosie O'Donnell in a drive-through window. I'm not being unkind there, it really is more of an average-looking customer.

Drtooth

Reaction score
One thing they should do is in advertising. They need to stop advertising to kids and make the patrons in their commercials more accurately resemble real life ones instead of Paris Hilton in a bikini washing a car. I don’t think she’s eaten since 1998.
What bugs me is that they actually DO limit junk food commercials on Kid's TV, and kid's tv has suffered greatly. It's now virtually impossible to make a profit off of such, and there are less and less markets for animation. Leaving animators in the dust. And it's not going to make kids one ounce thinner.

I forgot the worst level of this problem... parents who don't parent because they don't want to see their kids unhappy. Anyone see that Pediasure commercial where the littler girl keeps (brattilly-if that's a word) shouting "I don't like_________" Back in the olden days, you said that to your father, he'd MAKE you eat it or take off his belt. Not that I'm promoting that behavior, of course. But seems to me, the parents don't want to deal with kid's whining, buy them everything in site, and then complain that they have no control.

I remember this press conference on the news where parents were trying to sue Nickelodeon for Spongebob having his cereal, and a parent walked up and said (not exact words, but the point stuck with me). "Kids see cartoon characters on these boxes, and the parents have to pick one up to have a peaceful shopping trip." What this woman said had nothing to do with health at all. She wanted someone else to say no to their kid. She doesn't want a whiney child? then she shouldn't become a parent anyway. She just wanted to have them drop everything for her selfish gain, not for the health of kids anywhere. It got me very angry, lets say that. Like kids acting bratty in a store to get something is new.

I really think when it comes to children, it's not just the food, it's pulling them away from their WoW and Halo games and actually going outside once in a while. They might as well make a videogame tax as well. That's half the problem right there.

Anyway, back on the topic, Anyone else hate those Lean Cusine commercials? I can't help see them and think there's some negative female stereotype in there on some level.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I just want to say I grew up on McyDs, but I also played outside for hours and hours and had home food to (cooked on a *gasp* stove)..it really is a balance :smile:. I am not overweight ether...

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Anyway, back on the topic, Anyone else hate those Lean Cusine commercials? I can't help see them and think there's some negative female stereotype in there on some level.
The commercial itself is trying to tell people to eat better than eating hamburgers and pizza all the time. Eat some green beans, corn, etc.

But it would be more realistic to show your so called normal people in a fast food commercial than a skinny person who may not even eat there.

Speaking of fast food, anybody seen the movie "Supersize Me"?

Redsonga

Reaction score
The commercial itself is trying to tell people to eat better than eating hamburgers and pizza all the time. Eat some green beans, corn, etc.

But it would be more realistic to show your so called normal people in a fast food commercial than a skinny person who may not even eat there.

Speaking of fast food, anybody seen the movie "Supersize Me"?
I did'nt watch it. It is just common sense that if you eat nothing but fast food you will kill yourself :stick_out_tongue:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
All I can say is that I feel lucky that I was not raise on fast food and rather on home cooked meals. I have trouble ever resorting to using a microwave to this day:stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Not to me. All I see are stereotypical Sex in the City "Plastics" (only word I can think of. For those of you that haven't seen Mean Girls, it referrs to judgemental, shallow women, always looking for a trophy Boyfriend or Husband). A bunch of women too afraid to eat on a regular basis in fear of gaining a pound and not getting Mr. Perfect that doesn't even exist. It angers me on the weight level and on the level that- hey, if you have to obsess about your looks that much, is getting Mr. Perfect even worth it? If he's that shallow, is a person like that worth it? Seems both people in that sort of relationship would cheat on eachother for Mr. and Ms. Evenbetter.

dabauckham

Reaction score
I'm skinny as a rail and know it. The odd thing though is that I've ALWAYS been the itty-bitty skinny one my whole life. I actualy have to work at gaining weight, because I am underweight (my sisters are the same way) Whats so annoying is that everyone has to point out to us how skinny we are, have to ask if my mom feeds us, and even have the nerve to ask if we are anorexic or if we have an eateing disorder. Boys in junior high would follow me to the bathroom to make sure I didnt throw up, told me I might slip though the cracks. When I worked in the beauty salon, little old ladys would come up to me and tell me over and over how I was too skinny, even had one come back weeks later to check on me because she "was worried about me" Now its hard for people to understand but those kind of comments are the same as calling a larger woman fat, or any combination of names pertaining to fat. So Snowie, I don't think that people know what is too fat and what is too skinny. I am mot unhealthy, could I stand to gain a few pounds? yes, just like someone who has a bit of weight could stand to loose some to be a bit healthier. None of my family works out, none of us watch what we eat (we eat a lot of junk food, that is not good for us) My dad was/is very skinny, my mom, in my opinion is just beutiful (especialy after having us 6 kids) So my point is, we are the "perfect" size 0-6 and yet, we get no complaments, we are too skinny and its just not right for us to naturaly look so skinny. I dont think people know what they want, except they dont want what they have.
I can relate to this as well. I am a skinny guy, and always have been. At nearly 5'8", I weigh about 117. Unfortunately, weight discrimination works both ways. I am an extrememly healthy person, and rarely get sick more than once a year, if at all. And yet, the life insurance that I just bought is charging me an additional $10/month for being "underweight!"
THIS TICKS ME OFF! :grouchy: :grouchy:

I really long for a day where we can judge people as individuals and not on the basis of what our society claims to be healthy weights (in either direction) So much emphasis is placed on appearance in our society that it's kind of scary.

RealMissPiggy

Reaction score
Real Women Have Curves

Real Women have curves! I am a plus size Woman and Proud to be one! :wink:

The media propagandas that women should be of a certain "TYPE" to be desired- or attractive period. (BS)

When realistically the average woman is a size 12!

Lets face it- The ideal society is pushing is unrealistic and frankly obtuse!

If your content with your self thats all that matters

You can be stunning at a 2-or-24!

---------------------------------------------

Confidences is the sexiest thing you can ware! :smile:

Redsonga

Reaction score
My dress size is 9, yet I still get called a 'fat ***' on youtube :stick_out_tongue:
It just shows you how judgemental most people are...
When some guys call me that I am like 'well, I won't be going to go on a date with you now will I?:big_grin:'