How thin is acceptable?

furryredmonster

Reaction score
I'm around 5'2 (i know, i'm short) and weigh anywhere between 110-120 in a day. Says I'm normal weight.

Katzi428

Reaction score
I'm around 5'2 (i know, i'm short) and weigh anywhere between 110-120 in a day. Says I'm normal weight.
Not short...just vertically challenged.Join the club kiddo.:wink:
But not the weight part.You're the perfect weight. I'm 4'11 and...well just let's leave it at that.:embarrassed:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
But that's not really a good solution either. Seems like another thing that punnishes poor and unhealthy people for being poor and unhealthy. The only way there's gonna be any change is on the level of the rich. I mean, we can villify the fast food industry a hundred times, but that's not going to villify the other problem- the companies that help to drive up health food prices. No matter how people are trying to solve the health problem, they're all going about it the wrong way.

The reliance on fast food is on 2 levels (not counting people who are addicted to eating, which is something different all together).

on one hand, fast food, frozen dinners, and junk food are usually what most poverty ridden families can afford for one. And the other hand has to do with the fact people work too many hours at a sedintary job/ The lunch hour quickly became the lunch second, and longer hours= less time mom or dad can come home and cook a decient meal. not to mention the fact that, even though they don't move around much, and sit at desks, they come home tired, and spend the rest of the day/night sleeping.

So for real change fast food taxes aren;'t going to do anything in the long run. They aren't going to go to healthcare or anty sort of program to help these people. The real change must come from business themselves. They need to stop working their employees to death, and intigate some sort of fitness regiment one hour a day. The schools need to work on edible food for kids, since lot of these kids have the only major meal at the school cafeteria. And to put more funding into phys ed. And to make it not torturous of course.
I think it was stated that if fast food were taxed that incentives should be given to more healthier food options - I mean this by way of lowering consumer price on healthy accessible alternatives.

Taxes have helped curb smoking a lot. I used to be against that. It’s not the only option - but it does work and I believe it would in this case. Fast food preys on the financially challenged, but saying that taxing that toxin would be punishing poor people is going a bit too far. The same case would have to be made for cigarettes (yes, these days they are primarily smoked by the same demographic). Do we make booze cheaper for the masses? :insatiable:

I don't much like tax programs, but money for healthier options (in an ideal world) could be siphoned from fast food items. We know that showing fast food companies for what they really are or urging them to change does not work.

Personal restraint and responsibility should be taken into account, but the accessibility of fast food is akin to always having a large bag of Doritos by your bed, computer and sofa...it's there so you’re probably going to eat them!

By the way, most all Frito-Lay products contain Monosodium Glutamate (MSG). If it were correctly labeled what it is people would think twice about eating something they ask to be absent at Chinese food restaurants. :rolleyes:

Do I think taxes are the way to go? Actually, yeah! I do. If anything deserves a “sin” tax in this country it is McDonald’s. Other affordable healthier options would arise. :attitude:

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I think todays standards are a lot different than they were 30 years ago or more. No one in the 50's, 60's, or 70's talked about people and their weight, what they should weight, how they should look, etc.

However things have changed.

Back then you did not have a lot of fast food places, snacks for the kiddies and adults, computers, video games, television channels like we do today etc.

But now, we have it all.

Kids now a days seem to stay inside, play video games, watch television, get on the internet, etc. and not go outside and play, ride a bike, walk around etc.

People back then tended to eat a lot of home cooked food, from your mothers mashed potatoes and green beans, to baked chicken, etc. and not McDonalds, Kentucky Fried Chicken, etc.

Also, if you go to a restaurant, you'll notice you'll get a lot more food on your plate than you can eat and what you want, even if you haven't had any food all day.

All of this had contributed to obesity around countries like the United States.

But, on the other side of the argument, you have people who are too thin, looking very bony, and very sick trying to meet with "the standards". Hollywood is a prime example of this. People who are anorexic and having bulimia are in the news all the time.

Look at some of the top actresses around. Cameron Diaz, Julia Roberts, Halle Berry(even though she can't act), Nicole Kidman, etc. are all thin. When you seem them getting their pictures made wearing a dress, they do look too thin. Even in last year's comedy "Knocked Up", Katherine Heigl's character is asked to lose some weight with the new job she just got promoted to, but Heigl's character looks like she has a healthy weight.

My advice is, eat healthy, stay active, but at the same time don't compare yourself to everyone else. If you think or more importantly if you know you need to lose some pounds, go ahead and do it, even though it's easier said than done.

But don't freight about this. Everyone is different.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Not short...just vertically challenged.Join the club kiddo.:wink:
But not the weight part.You're the perfect weight. I'm 4'11 and...well just let's leave it at that.:embarrassed:
The weight for 5'2 is anywhere from 104-135 so yes :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
But, on the other side of the argument, you have people who are too thin, looking very bony, and very sick trying to meet with "the standards". Hollywood is a prime example of this. People who are anorexic and having bulimia are in the news all the time.

Look at some of the top actresses around. Cameron Diaz, Julia Roberts, Halle Berry(even though she can't act), Nicole Kidman, etc. are all thin. When you seem them getting their pictures made wearing a dress, they do look too thin. Even in last year's comedy "Knocked Up", Katherine Heigl's character is asked to lose some weight with the new job she just got promoted to, but Heigl's character looks like she has a healthy weight.

My advice is, eat healthy, stay active, but at the same time don't compare yourself to everyone else. If you think or more importantly if you know you need to lose some pounds, go ahead and do it, even though it's easier said than done.

But don't freight about this. Everyone is different.
I sometimes workout in the late evenings and there's this one woman who breaks my heart. She's there doing intense cardio during my warm-up. I lift for under an hour and she's still there when I come down for a half hour of cardio and is still going after I leave. That's around two hours that I know she's there. It's apparent she's there for many hours and she's unnaturally skeleton-thin. It is no exaggeration. It is evident that she has a disorder and I can't see how the staff allows her do harm herself that way on the premises - even at night. It is just very, very sad. It serves to keep my priorities in check whenever I exhibit extreme behavior of any sort. I hope she gets help, but fear the night I stop seeing her will mean she passed away. The staff knows about her so I doubt there’s anything that can be done on my side, but I hate to be another person who does nothing.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
but fear the night I stop seeing her will mean she passed away. The staff knows about her so I doubt there’s anything that can be done on my side, but I hate to be another person who does nothing.
Have you ever talked to them about it? It can't hurt.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Do I think taxes are the way to go? Actually, yeah! I do. If anything deserves a “sin” tax in this country it is McDonald’s. Other affordable healthier options would arise. :attitude:

You'd think so. But in the long run, what keeps everyone down is the cost. To me, Fast Food is the same paradox as WalMart.... You have little money, so you have to shop there, but the reason why there's little money is because there's no jobs, because no one can afford to shop anywhere but there.

Problem with a sin tax? People don't need to smoke, people don't need to drink (alcohol), but people have to eat. And McD's is just the tip of the ice berg. Look at the frozen dinner section. Those things are probably even worse for anyone than Fast Food, and a "Meal" costs about one dollar.

I'm not saying a tax is terrible, but it's clearly not going to solve anything in the long run, but to put more money into the pockets of rich people who don't give a wiff about the poor. If anything, I think the rich want to keep the poor fat. There has to be healthy cheap options, but so far, none are really arrising. Sure, we can point the finger at the Fast food and junk food industry, but the other side of the coin isn't exactly filled with angels anyway.

I really feel the resposibility lies on the companies. Not just the food preparation industry. Huge corporations that refuse to give people a living wage so these people can afford to eat well. Corporations that feel it's more important to have people work ever waking hour of the day, and not give them a full lunch hour or manditory excersize periods. If anyone should pay a "sin" tax, it's the sinners.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
People don't admit how much of a class system we have in this country, and it just keeps getting worse. And most of the politicans we see in public have no clue and don't care, imo.