How thin is acceptable?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I may as well add a couple others: I really hate the LA Weightloss commercial they had 2 years ago when a woman in her mid 40's lost 20 pounds and she said that she could now fit into her daughter's clothes. That was just... creepy.
Meh, when you REALLY think about it, it's not all THAT creepy... I mean, girls wear each other's clothes all the time; remember from that little bit from Sesame Street about those two friends who always agreed with just about everything, and at one point, they're like "we both like to wear each other's pants!"

But I'm reminded of another commercial since you brought that up: that middle-aged mother, who really isn't fat at all, is showing off her favorite pair of really loud, hippiesh jeans to her daughter, and her daughter's like "Wow, Mom, you used to fit into these?" The mother looks into the camera, and then for the rest of the commercial, while her daughter parades around in those wild jeans, she's spends her morning eating Special K, or whatever for months on in, and then finally she walks up to her daughter and says "Hey, sweetie, I want those back...", then he comes the mother, strolling down the stairs, grinning from ear to ear, looking like a hippie in her old love jeans...

Just kills me...

Drtooth

Reaction score
But I'm reminded of another commercial since you brought that up: that middle-aged mother, who really isn't fat at all, is showing off her favorite pair of really loud, hippiesh jeans to her daughter, and her daughter's like "Wow, Mom, you used to fit into these?" The mother looks into the camera, and then for the rest of the commercial, while her daughter parades around in those wild jeans, she's spends her morning eating Special K, or whatever for months on in, and then finally she walks up to her daughter and says "Hey, sweetie, I want those back...", then he comes the mother, strolling down the stairs, grinning from ear to ear, looking like a hippie in her old love jeans...
And she looks very similar to this. Kidding, but I mean, weight is one thing, but when you're in your late 40's or 50's, and your're trying to look like you're in your teens, it's... well, it's like a 30+ year old guy that wears a beany propeller and a stripey T-shirt and shorts, holding a giant pinwheel. It's goofy and doesn't fit.

There's no problem wanting to fit into a dress or something, but when you want to dress like a teenage girl, you have problems. Particularly if you're a man!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There's no problem wanting to fit into a dress or something, but when you want to dress like a teenage girl, you have problems. Particularly if you're a man!
Yeah, you DO have a point... I mean, not ALL guys can be as fashionable as Corporal Klinger!:stick_out_tongue:

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
I'm skinny as a rail and know it. The odd thing though is that I've ALWAYS been the itty-bitty skinny one my whole life. I actualy have to work at gaining weight, because I am underweight (my sisters are the same way) Whats so annoying is that everyone has to point out to us how skinny we are, have to ask if my mom feeds us, and even have the nerve to ask if we are anorexic or if we have an eateing disorder. Boys in junior high would follow me to the bathroom to make sure I didnt throw up, told me I might slip though the cracks. When I worked in the beauty salon, little old ladys would come up to me and tell me over and over how I was too skinny, even had one come back weeks later to check on me because she "was worried about me" Now its hard for people to understand but those kind of comments are the same as calling a larger woman fat, or any combination of names pertaining to fat. So Snowie, I don't think that people know what is too fat and what is too skinny. I am mot unhealthy, could I stand to gain a few pounds? yes, just like someone who has a bit of weight could stand to loose some to be a bit healthier. None of my family works out, none of us watch what we eat (we eat a lot of junk food, that is not good for us) My dad was/is very skinny, my mom, in my opinion is just beutiful (especialy after having us 6 kids) So my point is, we are the "perfect" size 0-6 and yet, we get no complaments, we are too skinny and its just not right for us to naturaly look so skinny. I dont think people know what they want, except they dont want what they have.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So my point is, we are the "perfect" size 0-6 and yet, we get no complaments, we are too skinny and its just not right for us to naturaly look so skinny. I dont think people know what they want, except they dont want what they have.
"Aye, words to live by"- Scrooge McDuck

No one is perfect and there is no perfect beauty that isn't manufactured in a lab or aided by different professionals. There are people, like you, who can never gain weight, and there are people who no matter what they do gain it. It's kind of like having a flood in one part of the state, and a drought in another at the same time.

It must be frustraiting to be on either side of a weird scale like this. And I might point out, it's great to hear a point of view on the other side. While we asume the unhappy people are on the overweight side of things, there are also the unhappy underweight types.

The thing that's endlessly hillarious is when execs do that hypocritic stuff where they pretend to care about "real women" and they show maybe, what, one person about 150 or so? So what? They still look like models.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I'm skinny as a rail and know it. The odd thing though is that I've ALWAYS been the itty-bitty skinny one my whole life. I actualy have to work at gaining weight, because I am underweight (my sisters are the same way) Whats so annoying is that everyone has to point out to us how skinny we are, have to ask if my mom feeds us, and even have the nerve to ask if we are anorexic or if we have an eateing disorder. Boys in junior high would follow me to the bathroom to make sure I didnt throw up, told me I might slip though the cracks. When I worked in the beauty salon, little old ladys would come up to me and tell me over and over how I was too skinny, even had one come back weeks later to check on me because she "was worried about me" Now its hard for people to understand but those kind of comments are the same as calling a larger woman fat, or any combination of names pertaining to fat. So Snowie, I don't think that people know what is too fat and what is too skinny. I am mot unhealthy, could I stand to gain a few pounds? yes, just like someone who has a bit of weight could stand to loose some to be a bit healthier. None of my family works out, none of us watch what we eat (we eat a lot of junk food, that is not good for us) My dad was/is very skinny, my mom, in my opinion is just beutiful (especialy after having us 6 kids) So my point is, we are the "perfect" size 0-6 and yet, we get no complaments, we are too skinny and its just not right for us to naturaly look so skinny. I dont think people know what they want, except they dont want what they have.
Good post Katie. It is sad but true.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
If people learned to be more comfortable with themselves first (and stay healthy), they wouldn't feel the need to critique others quite so much. :smile:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Ok, first time I EVER revealed my weight...about 235-240 (I seem to keep bouncing back and forth between those) and 5'7" (last time I checked, but I think I might be taller than that now).

But I have been told by countless people I do not look like I weigh that much. People have told me I look more like 160, which amazes me.

I already tower over my mom and my grandmother . Yes, my moms side are all short, but my dads side is all tall.

I was NEVER skinny. and I dont think I will ever be skinny. For one thing, my whole family is "bigger". And I would probably look strange skiny, cause of my build.

It amazes and disgusts me that these commercials for wieght loss things show a fairly skinny person, saying they need to lose 30+ pounds! it seems like everyone has to be anarexicaly skinny to be healthy

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
If people learned to be more comfortable with themselves first (and stay healthy), they wouldn't feel the need to critique others quite so much. :smile:
Very true! That and corn syrup is evil! :crazy: Why the heck is it in everything? (thank goodness for my corn allergy)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It amazes and disgusts me that these commercials for wieght loss things show a fairly skinny person, saying they need to lose 30+ pounds! it seems like everyone has to be anarexicaly skinny to be healthy
EXACTLY MY POINT! I mean, seriously, HOW skinny does one have to be in order to be accepted in the world today? How is it that even when you ARE skinny, you're still considered "fat" and still need to lose weight?