1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Hurricane Sandy Thread

Discussion in 'Friends and Family' started by Hubert, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

Now that I can understand. But I agree you can't really be positive about a hurricane. The thing is is no ones twisting their arms to watch the coverage on it.
  2. Pinkflower7783

Sorry for the confusion. Lol
  3. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

Tragedy is a strong word to use, but it's still a lot of valuable work and information lost. Lots of progress was made on these rats in terms of treating seizures, high blood pressure, cancers, heart disease, schizophrenia, all kinds of things. To point that specific part of the storm out to make a larger point about making an issue of every part of that storm is misguided in my opinion.

If you want to point out something trivial about the storm and its effects, talk about all the people who are disappointed that the marathon isn't being run this weekend. I know the route didn't take the race through the flooded areas, but still, it was a dumb idea to think the city would be ready for such a large effort when it's still so early in the recovery.
  4. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Well, I mean they act like it's a tragedy, but considering I'm against animal testing, I wouldn't considering the test subjects escaping to be so.
  5. charlietheowl

That's a whole other issue, and not for this thread, lol. I just wanted to make sure I made my point clearly and wasn't misunderstanding your point.
  6. fuzzygobo

fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

Yesterday was the first time in a week I got online. Trees still down on my street (many with power lines tangled up in them), don't expect power back until at least Friday- still at least a million people in Northern NJ powerless.
    Gas rationing still going on- depending on your license plate number, you can only get gas on even or odd days, and some places only have a 15-gallon limit. (And there might be a hundred cars ahead of you). So many driving over to Pennsylvania just to get basic supplies.
    Still too early to assess the total damage along the shore that got hit the hardest.
    130 dead so far.
    Another storm expected to hit tomorrow and Thursday.
    So, you got it tough?
  7. Pinkflower7783

Don't think anyone here said they had it tough. :confused:
  8. fuzzygobo

Oh, no. I'm grateful I got my mother's house to go to until I can get back to mine.
    I'm grateful for a hot shower after 5 days. I'm grateful for clean clothes. I'm grateful for a hot meal. I'm grateful I can still get gas, even if it takes a while. And we weren't even the worst hit.

I'll tell you what inspired me. I work in a home for 400 elderly people, 50 of them in assisted living. Thursday we lost our generator, so they had to be evacuated to a high school a mile away. They slept on cots for two nights, some of them literally just had the clothes on their backs. We were still able to feed them with two makeshift kitchens we set up. And not one of them complained. Saturday we got our power back and they were
    able to come home. They made a huge card for us and signed it, and all they could do was thank us for getting them through a tough ordeal.

Be sure to count your blessings, folks. Hopefully you'll never have to live through a
    disaster like this, and if you have, now I can say I walked a mile in your shoes.

I
  9. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Wow...that's quite a lot to go through, fuzzygobo...I'm really glad you're alright and I just am so sorry about everything that happened there...
  10. charlietheowl

That's great you were able to help so many people during the storm while still dealing with your own issues from it, fuzzygobo. I'm glad things are starting to return to normal for you.
  11. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

That's great that you were able to help people out. That's the one good thing about disasters like this; we have the opportunity to reach out in ways we usually can't.
    Hubert and Pinkflower7783 like this.
  12. Pinkflower7783

Yes and we can come together as human beings!!!
    heralde likes this.
  13. newsmanfan

newsmanfan Well-Known Member

-----------
    Dang Brian. Glad you're okay. Bravo to you for working through all that despite your own needs.

This crap makes me wish I had money, like Trump-level money. I'd be able to actually DO something instead of watching and worrying.
    --------------
  14. Pinkflower7783

Too bad Trump doesn't do that kind of thing with his money.
  15. fuzzygobo

Today's Friday, still about 250,000 people in the dark, but today many coastal residents are finally being allowed to go back to their homes and see what's left.
    So things are slowly returning to normal.
    Some of you around the country probably got a bigger picture of what happened than we did. Over a week with no tv, no internet, had to drive to Pennsylvania just to see a newspaper, my only link with the outside world was my car radio.
    The media must have been having a field day. New Jersey wasn't hit by a "hurricane". We got bombarded by a "SUPERSTORM"! As if Sandy showed up with a red cape and tights! Well done, guys. In my 44 years, I think this is the biggest crock of puckey you've handed me yet. :)
  16. newsmanfan

newsmanfan Well-Known Member

-----------
    BriWi was on Letterman the other night with a reminisce about the areas hardest hit. Fuzzybrian, glad you're okay. I honestly wasn't expecting it to be such a stupendous storm...I know usually when hurricanes reach you guys, they're played out and mostly rain a lot, yeah?

Scary stuff. Wishing you a fast recovery, physical, mental, emotional. :sympathy:

------------
  17. Pinkflower7783

People in my county are getting ready to take truck loads and I mean truck loads of things donated by people up to the hardest hit areas. I love seeing communities come together like this because despite the bad that happened with the storm it's just nice seeing people helping people. Because as you know "peoples is peoples" and that's a lot of peoples. Hope that was enough peoples for you. :p
  18. fuzzygobo

Thank you one and all. This must be the biggest disaster to hit New Jersey since the Hindenburg. A disaster can bring out the worst in people, but also the best. And in 12 days, I've seen more best than worst.

Let's keep that spirit going, in case we ever have to go through this again sometime, somewhere.
    newsmanfan likes this.
  19. meepmuppaphones

meepmuppaphones Active Member

I don't live on the Massachusetts coast, so the storm wasn't too bad (although school was closed) . All I did was sit in front of the computer while eating cookies.