1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

I don't wanna grow up...

Discussion in 'Friends and Family' started by Vincent Liu, Jul 18, 2012.

1. newsmanfan

newsmanfan Well-Known Member

----------------
    I'm 41 going on 21. Nothing wrong with retaining that sense of wonder, as many here have already said well.

All I can add to that is, don't allow the brutishness of the world to destroy you. Some of the brutes are just that...but some may also remember the awe they felt when they first saw something they didn't comprehend...like a rainbow.

Not that I'm a role model for positivity, not at all...but hey, when away from the masses, it's perfectly safe to let out the kid.
    --------------
  2. Vincent Liu

Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

Speaking of rainbows, I still feel a sense of magic every time I see them. Snow makes me feel that way, too.
    Mo Frackle likes this.
  3. bouncingbabyfig

bouncingbabyfig Well-Known Member

I was just talking to my mom about how it's likely in 10 years I'll be married with kids. I felt like crying and very sad inside. It's scary, but there is a sense of wonder and excitment along with that. I think while we grow mentally and physically, we appear older and wiser. But our hearts will remain young and always have that sense of childishness that helps keep us innocent. Like Newsie said, when we stop the world from corrupting us, we'll always be kids. That's why I love the muppets, they remind me that the world is a big place, but it's okay to be different and stay young. The world wants to change who we are, but it can't stop us from being who we we are supposed to be. Wow that was long. I'll just shut up now.:o
    Muppet fan 123, Hubert and galagr like this.
  4. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Even though the legal age is 18, somehow, 25 still seems a little young to be married with kids... just my thought.
    bouncingbabyfig likes this.
  5. CaseytheMuppet

CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

I agree. Maybe one kid, but not kids.
  6. D'Snowth

I do know that there are a lot of people who marry young (I've heard stories of people down in the south who would run away and elope to see a sheriff or a Justice of the Peace to get married at ages like 15 and 16), and don't even get me started on teenage pregnancies and such... still, it almost seems like the average couple are in the early 30s or so when they get married and start families and such.
  7. newsmanfan

------------
    The average EDUCATED couple, Snowth. Low education level and early pregnancy(ies) go hand in hand. Don't even get me started on my sex ed rant...

Figgie, if a family is what you want then I wish you the joy of it...but make sure, whomever you're with, that your situation is stable, please! Make sure you have the steady and reliable income necessary to raise a child, and a safe place of your own to do it in. Too many younguns think they can "make it" and "our love will sustain us" and all that other absolutely bullpuckey romantic nonsense, and wind up trapped and miserable and negatively affecting their offspring as well as themselves. Don't go that route. Get a career, make some dough, make sure your partner does too...THEN do the family thing. You'll be infinitely happier that way. As one who's seen the wreckage up close, trust me on this.
    ------------
  8. bouncingbabyfig

Wow! Didn't think my comment would get so much...comments? I think you guys took me a little too literally. But that's okay, it just shows how you care. :) Some things I would like to point out tho:
    A.) I don't plan on getting pregnant as a teen, or out of wedlock. I'm saving anything sexual for my hubby, and my hubby only. Call me old fashioned, molly mormon, I don't care. It's just how I feel about that.
    B.) I plan on finishing my master's in 10 years, so don't worry, school will still be part of my life. I want an excellent eduacation, and in this economy I really need it!
    C.) As for marriage, I plan on thinking long and hard about who I plan on spending my years with. And of course I want to be able to support my family, I don't want them to end up being taken away because things don't work out. I've watched many marriages and relationships end horribly because marrying too young or thinking love would make everything right. It hurts the couple and those around them, and I don't want that. It is too painful and messy.
    D.) All I can say is that life cannot be planned, you can only hope for the best and work at it. Which is what I'm trying to do currently. I just want to get through high school right now, let love and college come later. When I'M ready. As for right now, I'll stay young. :) hope this cleared things up...:o
  9. D'Snowth

You're a good girl Figgy, a vast majority of today's troubled youth should follow your example.
  10. Teheheman

Teheheman Well-Known Member

Growing old in inevitable, Growing UP is optional-Somebody

Daniel
  11. bouncingbabyfig

*blush* Thank you D'Snowth.
  12. Rowlfy

Rowlfy Member

Same, people my age can't wait to be an adult, but I want to stay a kid forever.
  13. newsmanfan

-------------
    Bully for Figgie! I second Snowth's comment. Though I'm far from conservative myself, I can certainly see how following the path Figgie has laid out for herself would avoid quite a bit of potential heartache (and worse things). Good for you, kiddo. :)
    ---------------
  14. D'Snowth

Well, I'm not conservative either, though I think having scrupples, or having some kind of sense of what kind of choices one should be making is a good thing to possess, and most kids today don't have it.
  15. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

I don't wanna grow up either.

I'm a Toys R Us kid.
  16. bazooka_beak

bazooka_beak Active Member

Darn you, dwmckim, you took the Toys R Us thing before I did :p

I'm not going to lie, it's going to get really hard. I'm 31 years old, and I've been through a lot since I graduated from high school. It's left me a tad jaded, but I still feel like a teenager. Heck, most people who don't know me personally think I AM a teenager (I look young, LOL).

But you know what? I do whatever "childlike" thing I want to. I watch cartoons. I read comic books and graphic novels meant for 12 year olds. I sit on the floor to draw. I ride a bike. A typical dinner consists of mac & cheese and a glass of chocolate milk. I have yet to watch an episode of Desperate Housewives or drink a cappuccino. I hold to my dream of working for Disney or Henson, even though I can't draw or puppeteer worth crap, LOL. I am not a "normal" adult pretty much. And it's so much better!
  17. Vincent Liu

Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

I totally saw that coming…
  18. bouncingbabyfig

bazooka, That's actually the oposite for me, I look at least 21. I have people constantly asking me what college I go to, am I in a relationship, where do I work. So, I tease them and I say: I'm currently going to harvard, my boyfriend is a goergous Italian, and I work for Sesame Street. Nah, I'm only kidding. I'm just barely going into High School and looking for a job, no boyfriend.
    I tell you I get the weirdest looks from people! Can't imagine why... But yeah, read/watch cartoons all the time, classics of course! The stuff on t.v. is just disgusting and a let down anyway. I enjoy my life, I really don't understand why we are forced to grow up. Honestly, there's a diference between responsability and growing older!! Anyhoo, *Slinks back to corner* Oh! And thanks for the other comments of support! :)
  19. muppetfan24/7

muppetfan24/7 Well-Known Member

Speaking of our friends passing on, I don't want to grow up either. I love the Myppets, Disney, Kermit, Piggy, etc. I don't like it! To be honest, if I don't like changes, then neither does anyone else.
  20. mo

mo Well-Known Member

I don't know if I want to grow up either. I'm turning 13 on the 16th of september.
    the other day I was complaining that my parents won't let me watch certain shows.
    but if I grow up I could'nt get away with watching cartoons... now that I think it most of problems are related to cartoons. :(