1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

I don't wanna grow up...

Discussion in 'Friends and Family' started by Vincent Liu, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Vincent Liu

Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

(Note: The mood of this post differs a lot from my usual postings. It's more of my sentimental/dreamy side)

I'm fifteen now: not too young and not too old. I'm leaving childhood behind, and stepping into adulthood. But somehow, I don't want to grow up. I want to stay a child forever. The carefree days, the pointless but fun games. The childhood innocence. I don't want to lose it. Now I'm stepping into a world of worries, a world of busyness. It'll be such a big change, and I'm afraid.
  2. MissMusical12

MissMusical12 Well-Known Member

I feel for you.......it's tough growing up, especially in the world of today. I would love to stay a kid forever but it's life, unfortunately. :sympathy:
  3. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

I think the key to growing up is attitude. You may not be able to stay a kid forever, but that's doesn't mean you can't try and keep a carefree, optimistic outlook on things.
  4. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Here's the great thing about life: you don't have to grow up. You can stay a child forever. Sure, some more responsibilities might get picked up here and there, but I think the big difference in people today is whether or not they still use and nurture their inner child. Things might not always be the same...you might have some more worries, life might be a little harder. But you can still retain your child-like qualities. You can still have just as many fun, happy, carefree days. It's natural to be afraid of the big change, but the change is only as big as you make it.
    Vincent Liu likes this.
  5. Yuna Leonhart

Yuna Leonhart Well-Known Member

I don't blame you, Vincent. It's hard to grow up and face the responsibilities of adulthood. But it's like Hubert said, you don't have to grow up. Life won't be as carefree anymore but that doesn't mean you can't let your inner child out once in a while.
    I didn't want to grow up, either. But there was nothing I could do and now I'm an adult. Still, this doesn't prevent me from letting out my inner child sometimes... okay, very often.
  6. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Well Vincent, if it makes you feel any better, I was fifteen once too.

Matter of fact, I was a year shy of your age when I first joined MC, and by the time I was sixteen is what's been noted as my period of "coming out of my shell" (I wasn't nearly as active here as I was by that time), and like you, I too didn't want to grow up, or have a life, or anything of that nature...

I'm 23 now, and guess what? I'm not so sure I grew up or anything... I certainly don't feel very grown-up, sometimes I still feel like I'm 15/16/what have you... sometimes, I kind of feel like I'm more of a man-child (like Pee-wee so-to-speak) than a man.

The point is, you're going to grow up - physically, and according to the calendar - but at the same time, you don't necessarily have to "grow up" mentally... that doesn't mean to act immature or anything, but rather, you can still remain a child at heart, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that.
    HeyButtahfly and Muppet fan 123 like this.
  7. Vincent Liu

I want to thank all of you. You make me feel so much better.
  8. MissMusical12

MissMusical12 Well-Known Member

You are most welcome. :)
  9. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

At times like this I watch Labyrinth to remind me that you can grow up and also retain your precious childhood memories. :)
    newsmanfan likes this.
  10. Vincent Liu

(I much prefer the Cincinnati Pops version, but it's nowhere to be found)
  11. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Funny thing is I was going to post a similar thread

(Originally by Tom Waits, but listening to him sing it is like nails on a chalkboard)
  12. TheWeirdoGirl

TheWeirdoGirl Well-Known Member

I know how you feel. I'll be turning seventeen next month, and I don't want to grow up either. But like others have said, you can still be a child at heart no matter what your age is. One of my favorite quotes is, "The secret of genius is to carry the spirit of childhood into maturity."
  13. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Another quote that relates to this:
  14. Teheheman

Teheheman Well-Known Member

Yeah, good luck with that. Let me know how that turns out for ya.

Daniel
  15. fuzzygobo

fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

If you need any more proof you don't have to grow up, I'm 44- yes, old enough to be your father- and I don't feel a day over 18. As you get older, you will have more responsibilities, more commitments, more obligations, but by no means do you have to leave your childhood behind.
    If you're able to hold on to that childlike innocence, that sense of wonder, a sense of optimism, finding joy in the simple things in life, you may grow older but not up.

At my job there are younger people in their twenties who are already "old". In such a short time they've become cynical, jaded, spiritually dead. Some of them have already turned to drugs or alcohol to accelerate their trip to an early grave. But it doesn't have to be like that.

And yes, way back in the dark ages, back when the Atari 2600 was hi-tech, I was 15 once too. :)
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  16. fuzzygobo

fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

One more point if I may: there's a HUGE difference between acting childlike and childish. Childlike is the starry-eyed innocence Jim had until the day he died. It's even considered a virtue in the Bible that appeals to God. This is where you hang on and cherish your dreams, keep that spirit in your heart, and as you get older, it will make people admire you even more.

Childish, however, is acting like an immature brat throwing a tantrum because Mommy won't buy that box of cereal. (The earlier you learn that sometimes life stinks, the better off you'll be.) I've seen people older than me acting childish, and it's a pathetic sight.

I know 15 is a hard age, with puberty and adolescence running amok, and you might seem especially vulnerable right now. But I think you'll come out of it just fine. Call it a hunch.
  17. vettech28

vettech28 Well-Known Member

I'm 22 now, but I also miss the days of my childhood, I know that stress is a pretty big part of life, but sometimes I wish I could live without it. I would love to go back to the days that I didn't have to worry about so much stuff as an adult and only focus on the fun times. But at the same time, I look forward to bigger and better things in life like having a career and possibly getting married someday.

But I also remember Jim's outlook on life, a positive one at that and also be happy with what I've already got.
  18. Vincent Liu

I'm surprised that so many people can relate to this. I always thought I'm the only one.
  19. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Dude, everyone goes through the growing up/growing older crisis. I'm still going through it and I'm 20...wait till you get to college. It will be like you are back in kindergarten.

Maybe you should give What's My Age Again by Blink 182 a listen ;)
  20. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

As long as you can still enjoy sitting down to some classic Sesame Street, don't ever worry about growing old/up regardless of your calendar age.
    Muppet fan 123 and newsmanfan like this.