I Have Proof That Hollywood Is Running Low on Ideas!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hollywood these days is about money, money, money. Take a look at The Dark Knight. It's made tons of money, money that's going back to all the big guns at Warner Brothers.
But that was a quality movie. it wasn't a bunch of flimsy SNL/MadTV skits weaved into an unfunny and uneven movie. One they actually spent money and time making. The worst part is that I've had an idea for something like this for a while, and now I can't do it. But it would have been quality material. Not just flimsy "the Year in review movies sketch comedy the film."

I LOVE parodies myself. but quality, well done stuff. If Hollywood needs to keep making parody films, get Dick Debartolo and other Mad Magazine writers to show'em how it's done.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Date Movie was decent, Epic Movie was horrible, I haven't seen the others. As far as parody movies go Not Another Teen Movie is spectacular, I loved that one.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Date Movie was decent, Epic Movie was horrible, I haven't seen the others. As far as parody movies go Not Another Teen Movie is spectacular, I loved that one.
I loved Teen Movie too. I saw it in the theaters with a date several years younger than me that didn't catch all the 80s references. I was cracking up the whole time.

As for the other films, most of them are by this Friedberg/Seltzer team that appears to be churning out assembly line spoofs rather than taking the time to craft a good one. I learned something as a video clerk - spoof movies, just like sci-fi/horror and "blue" movies, no matter how bad will almost always see a return for years to come. That's why studios don't seem to waste time making them good. They really don't have to.

Hollywood hasn't run out of ideas. Crummy films have been around since the invention of cinema. They just used to not be so heavily promoted!

Drtooth

Reaction score
As for the other films, most of them are by this Friedberg/Seltzer team that appears to be churning out assembly line spoofs rather than taking the time to craft a good one. I learned something as a video clerk - spoof movies, just like sci-fi/horror and "blue" movies, no matter how bad will almost always see a return for years to come. That's why studios don't seem to waste time making them good. They really don't have to.
Hey... I'm just saying Mad Magazine has been churning out satirical film parody articles since the 1950's, and with recent exceptions, they've all been gold.

I think the main problem is they started by parodying a genre, and somehow they felt that they need to parody every single movie that came out that year. This year, the movies didn't even come out. They made fun of them SOLEY on the trailer (Something Cracked Magazine did in spades). They feel they need to make a reference to everything, and make them cheap jokes at that.

If they, however, made fun of one MAIN movie and added in elements of others sparingly, they'd have something. Even Robin Hood Men in Tights was a higher quality parody for that reason. They made fun of one film, and parodied the conventions and cliches of the film itself.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Spoof movies can be good, like Scary Movie or Not Another Teen Movie, but the latest ones are pretty dumb at best. I tried watching Date Movie and turned if off after 15 minutes.

By the way, the "wassuuup" bit in Scary Movie is still gold in my book. Now that's funny, especially when ypu have the ghostface bad guy with a bottle of booze with a smiley face.